​Ceballos has no Real Madrid regrets despite Bale, James' Los Blancos revivals

By Sports Desk October 08, 2019

Dani Ceballos says the revivals of Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez at Real Madrid does not make him regret leaving Los Blancos for Arsenal.

Bale appeared certain to depart the Spanish capital for Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning after being ostracised by Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane, before the board pulled the plug on the deal.

James' future was equally unclear after he returned from a two-year loan spell at Bayern Munich, but rumoured interest from Napoli and Atletico Madrid failed to materialise.

Both players have subsequently featured regularly for a Madrid side sitting top of LaLiga after eight matches, two points clear of Clasico rivals Barcelona.

Spain international Ceballos opted to make the move to the Premier League with the Gunners on loan after struggling for regular minutes at the Santiago Bernabeu over the past two seasons.

Ceballos has featured on 11 occasions in all competitions so far and is content with the decision he made as he was not enjoying life in Madrid.

"Madrid is pretty good. Yes, they've had many injuries but I don't feel sorry for not being there," he told a news conference while on international duty.

"I know what I have in my head and that was to play and enjoy. I am very happy at Arsenal, I played 10 (11) games where I showed my best level. Now I am where I want to be." 

When asked about Bale and James' upturn in fortunes at Madrid, he replied: "My idea was clear from the outset, play and enjoy football because in the previous two years I had not and I have been successful going out to Arsenal."

Ceballos also paid tribute to Madrid great Sergio Ramos, who is set to become Spain's outright most-capped player during the international break – where Spain face qualifiers against Norway and Sweden – having equalled Iker Casillas' tally of 167 last month.

"Sergio Ramos has won everything at the club and national team level," he added. 

"Despite having a lot of experience he continues to demonstrate the ambition of a young man, that ambition makes him different from the others."

Related items

  • Embattled Celades battles to repair damage caused by Valencia's week of woe Embattled Celades battles to repair damage caused by Valencia's week of woe

    Albert Celades was once used to the high life with Barcelona and Real Madrid - now he is dealing with the misery caused by an abject week for his Valencia team.

    Four days of carnage has left Valencia's Champions League hopes in tatters and their prospects of returning to that competition next season dealt a major blow.

    As a player, Celades was a defensive midfielder who began his career at Camp Nou and later traded loyalties by pulling on the white shirt of Madrid, often playing as a foil to David Beckham.

    His coaching career has included spells as an assistant with Spain and Madrid, before a first head coaching opportunity presented itself at Valencia last September.

    The past week has come as a jolt to the 44-year-old, with a 4-1 thumping by Atalanta in Italy on Wednesday followed by a 3-0 whipping at Real Sociedad on Saturday.

    "We are going through the worst moment of the season, but I don't think that the season is lost," Celades said.

    His immediate task is to ensure the team's morale does not fall away, with their winless run having stretched to five games.

    Although they have slipped to eighth place in LaLiga, Valencia remain within touching distance of the top four.

    "We are not having the same performance away from home as at Mestalla," Celades said.

    "However, there are still a lot of games left in LaLiga and the return leg of the Champions League tie. Our idea is to continue picking up points, although the numbers are there and we have conceded too many goals that have impeded us from being at the top of the standings. We have to fix this as soon as possible."

    Celades feels Valencia were better against Atalanta than the scoreline suggested, even though the Serie A side led by four goals inside an hour and it took a response from Denis Cheryshev to give Los Che any hope for the March 10 second leg at Mestalla.

    Speaking after the Sociedad match, Celades was quoted by Valencia's website as saying: "We came into this one off a tough defeat in the Champions League, which was too heavy for what we saw on the pitch.

    "However, not long ago we had a great game against Atletico Madrid in which we deserved to win.

    "We are struggling to win but, of course, I see myself as being strong enough to turn the situation around."

  • Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow

    Eden Hazard is set to miss Real Madrid's crucial clashes against Manchester City and Barcelona after suffering a hairline fracture to his right ankle.

    The Belgium forward limped off in the second half of Los Blancos' 1-0 defeat to Levante on Saturday and received treatment for the injury on the bench.

    Madrid have not said how much time Hazard will miss but reports in Spain suggest another long lay-off meaning the former Chelsea star will not face Manchester City in Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first-leg tie, or Barca in a crucial Clasico in LaLiga next weekend.

    A club statement read: "Following the tests carried out today [Sunday] on our player, Eden Hazard, by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a fracture to his right distal fibula.

    "His recovery will continue to be assessed."

    It marks another blow for Hazard in a debut campaign blighted by injury, the 29-year-old having only returned from another fractured right ankle sustained against Paris Saint-Germain in November last weekend.

    The start of Hazard's Madrid career was delayed by a hamstring problem he suffered in August and the timing of his latest setback could hardly have been worse.

    Madrid's loss to Levante means they have ceded top spot in LaLiga to Barca ahead of the Clasico, while their fight for a 14th European crown restarts in a huge clash with Pep Guardiola's City.

    Speaking after the game, Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane admitted the initial analysis of Hazard was not promising.

    "It doesn't look good," Zidane told reporters at a news conference."It can become weak where you've had an injury. It is a blow, let's see.

    "It's sore now but we'll see tomorrow when we do more tests."

    Hazard has made just 15 appearances for Madrid since joining in a big-money move from Chelsea last July.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow BREAKING NEWS: Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow
    Eden Hazard is set to miss Real Madrid's crucial clashes against Manchester City and Barcelona after suffering a hairline fracture to his right ankle.
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.