EPL

Rumour Has It: Solskjaer facing sack if Liverpool thrash Manchester United

By Sports Desk October 08, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is said to be concerned that one more significant defeat could see him sacked as Manchester United manager.

Although Ed Woodward has given his backing to the former striker and insisted the club has faith in their longer-term plan, it seems the loss to Newcastle United on Sunday has caused particular concern.

AC Milan, meanwhile, could make a change in the dugout on Tuesday, while Real Madrid are considering a Chelsea midfielder.

 

TOP STORY – SOLKSJAER FACING SACK IF UNITED LOSE HANDSOMELY TO LIVERPOOL

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may not survive at Manchester United if they suffer a significant defeat to Liverpool.

The Daily Mail and the Mirror claim executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was very concerned by the manner of the 1-0 defeat to Newcastle United, despite giving the manager public support.

It is suggested Woodward could choose to dismiss Solskjaer if United are beaten heavily by league leaders Liverpool on October 20 - much as Jose Mourinho was sacked after a 3-1 loss at Anfield last year.

 

ROUND-UP

- United are in desperate need of goals but one of their targets, Moussa Dembele, could be stolen away from Lyon by Everton for £40million in January, according to Football Insider.

AC Milan are another major club ready to make a change in the dugout. Gianluca Di Marzio claims the Rossoneri could replace Marco Giampaolo with former Inter boss Stefano Pioli as early as Tuesday.

- Inter, meanwhile, are plotting a bid for out-of-favour Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic, according to Calciomercato.com.

Real Madrid appear to have turned a corner under Zinedine Zidane but the former France star still wants a new midfielder. Sport say he has sanctioned a possible January bid for Chelsea's N'Golo Kante.

- In France, Sylvinho paid the price for Lyon's poor form - particularly Sunday's derby defeat to Saint-Etienne - and the Ligue 1 side are considering former Valencia boss Marcelino as his replacement, according to Soccer Link.

Related items

  • Rudiger warns 'racism has won' and says Hanau shooting horror is 'the end product' Rudiger warns 'racism has won' and says Hanau shooting horror is 'the end product'

    Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger claims "racism has won" after he was booed by Tottenham supporters during Saturday's Premier League match at Stamford Bridge.

    Rudiger reported he was racially abused in the December 22 trip to Tottenham, but an investigation conducted by Spurs proved "inconclusive" and police could find no evidence to support the complaint.

    The German was appalled to also be targeted by a number of visiting fans in the second league meeting between the teams in 2019-20.

    Rudiger said the failure of authorities to find a culprit for his previous allegation meant he had become cast to some as a "bogeyman" figure.

    The 26-year-old told German broadcaster Sky Sport after Saturday's match: "Racism has won. They want to make us believe, 'You have no voice'. That's how I see it. Then also thanks to the media, who naturally pushed it that way, nobody was found and such things, the case is closed.

    "And that's why you get booed in the end because you raise your voice. So I say: racism has won."

    The defender was disheartened that nobody was held culpable for the abuse he heard in the December match at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

    "This shows that these people win wherever. They can go back to the stadium," Rudiger said.

    "It doesn't have to be me, it can be someone else. They will not be punished and at the end of the day I am the bogeyman."

    Rudiger vowed he would not be silenced and pledged to continue making his voice heard on matters of discrimination, linking his concerns to the experience of becoming a father last Thursday.

    "It is a catastrophe. One day my child will highly probably suffer because of the way we are today," Rudiger said.

    Rudiger was asked about the shisha bar shooting deaths in Hanau which occurred on Wednesday, with a number of the victims reported to be of Turkish and Kurdish descent and the attack being treated as far-right terrorism.

    He related that to incidents of racism in German football which have seen Hertha Berlin's Jordan Torunarigha and Wurzburg's Leroy Kwadwo targeted for abuse.

    Speaking of Hanau, Rudiger said: "For me, this is the end product. First Torunarigha, then Kwadwo and then there are dead people."

  • Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments

    Sergi Roberto will miss Barcelona's Champions League tie with Napoli and the Clasico against Real Madrid after injuring one of the adductor muscles in his right thigh.

    The Spain international was an unused substitute as Barca thrashed Eibar 5-0 on Saturday but Roberto, who can play at right-back or in the centre of midfield, is not part of the squad for the last-16 first-leg fixture in Naples.

    Barca confirmed Roberto will miss around three to four weeks of action via a statement on their official website, which means he will also miss a vital top-of-the-table clash at Real Madrid next weekend.

    One of the quirkier additions on Barca's squad list for Napoli - albeit his name was accompanied by an asterisk - was Martin Braithwaite, who cannot play in the Champions League as he is not registered.

    Denmark forward Braithwaite signed in a controversial deal from Leganes this week after Barca were granted permission to make an emergency transfer outside of the window.

    Barca's victory over Eibar and Madrid's defeat at Levante on Saturday means Quique Setien's men sit top of LaLiga by two points. However, Roberto's injury is the latest to have limited Setien's options for upcoming fixture.

  • Ludogorets appeal to Inter and UEFA for coronavirus decision Ludogorets appeal to Inter and UEFA for coronavirus decision

    Bulgarian champions Ludogorets have demanded assurances that it will be safe to travel to Milan for Thursday's Europa League clash with Inter after Italy's coronavirus outbreak.

    Christian Eriksen and Romelu Lukaku scored as Inter beat Ludogorets 2-0 in the first leg in Bulgaria, but reports have already suggested the San Siro return match could be played behind closed doors.

    Inter's game against Sampdoria on Sunday was postponed over local health concerns, with Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte confirming the fixture was one of several that would not go ahead.

    Italy is battling to contain the virus, which is officially named Covid-19, after the deaths of two people and confirmation that dozens more have tested positive.

    In a statement issued on Sunday, Ludogorets expressed their concern and appealed to Inter and UEFA to provide swift clarification.

    The statement said: "FC Ludogorets have formally asked UEFA and FC Inter about the situation in the Italian region of Lombardy, whose capital is Milan. Coronavirus-infected cases have been reported there in recent days.

    "More than 600 supporters of the Bulgarian champions are expected to support their favourites at the San Siro on Thursday (February 27) in the rematch of the 1/16 finals of the Europa League.

    "Many of them have already purchased plane tickets, and there is organised bus travel from Bulgaria to Italy.

    "Ludogorets expect an official statement from the European headquarters and a quick explanation from Inter about the situation in the city. If received, the club will immediately notify supporters of the situation in Milan by a message on its official website.

    "PFC Ludogorets will liaise with Bulgarian diplomatic authorities on the situation in Italy."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.