Lloris will not play again in 2019, says France boss Deschamps

By Sports Desk October 07, 2019

Hugo Lloris will almost certainly miss the rest of 2019 due to an elbow injury, according to France head coach Didier Deschamps.

The Tottenham goalkeeper dislocated his elbow after landing awkwardly during his side's 3-0 Premier League defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday.

Spurs have not yet offered an indication on his recovery time, but Deschamps expects Lloris to be out of action until the new year due to ligament damage.

"I talked to him after he recovered emotionally from what happened," Deschamps told a news conference. "We talked again [on Monday] and had more medical examinations.

"It is difficult to give you an exact date in terms of how long he'll need to recover. The possibility of a fracture has been ruled out, but his ligaments are affected. I'm not an anatomy specialist.

"Anyway, as far as we are concerned, he will obviously not be able to play during this international break or the next one.

"I'm not a specialist and I can't tell you exactly [how long he will be out]. It is not a week, either, but he will not be back on the pitch in 2019. That's almost a certainty."

Lloris will miss France's Euro 2020 qualifiers this month against Iceland and Turkey and appears almost certain to be absent from November's matches against Moldova and Albania.

The 32-year-old also seems to be a doubt for Spurs' remaining 16 matches this year, including four Champions League group games and Premier League clashes with Liverpool, West Ham, Manchester United, Wolves and Chelsea.

Spurs, who have won only three games in all competitions this season, are ninth in the Premier League with 11 points from eight games.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Norwich City players and coach pledge donation of over £200,000 Coronavirus: Norwich City players and coach pledge donation of over £200,000

    Norwich City's squad, head coach Daniel Farke and executive committee will donate a percentage of their salaries to support people during the coronavirus crisis.

    In total, over £200,000 will be donated, with Norwich also confirming the club's owners and directors have pledged to contribute.

    Earlier this week, Norwich were one of a number of Premier League clubs to place non-playing staff on furlough, taking advantage of the UK government scheme in response to COVID-19 that will pay employees 80 per cent of their wages up to £2,500 per month.

    The fund will be used to purchase and distribute food and essential toiletry packages for those in need in the Norfolk community, while some Norwich-based charities are also set to benefit.

    Grant Hanley, Norwich's club captain, told the side's official website: "There are clearly a lot of complexities and discussions happening at this time, but right now this absolutely is the best thing we can do for our community.

    "As a group of players, we wanted to stand up and do our bit. The lads have heard at first-hand stories and challenges that some of our supporters are currently facing. We need to make sure were reaching out and helping those who have been hit hard and are struggling at this time.

    "It's clear the club are doing everything possible to help both staff, fans and the wider community at this challenging time, and we want to make sure we're also contributing."

    The Premier League and the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), along with representatives from the English Football League (EFL) and League Managers Association (LMA), are currently in discussions over player wages.

    Professional football in England has been suspended until at least April 30, with the season able to be completed beyond June 1 if necessary.

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Griezmann to PSG in Neymar deal Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Griezmann to PSG in Neymar deal

    Barcelona are prepared to use Antoine Griezmann in a deal to land Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar, 28, has constantly been linked with a return to Camp Nou, but ended up staying at PSG during the last close season.

    It seems Barcelona will pursue the Brazil international again and they may be prepared to offer Griezmann in a deal.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO OFFER GRIEZMANN TO PSG IN NEYMAR DEAL

    Despite it proving such an ordeal to sign Griezmann in the first place, Barca will try to use him as a makeweight in a deal to land Neymar, according to Sky Sports.

    The report says the Spanish giants are prepared to let Griezmann go just one season after signing him from Atletico Madrid, as they reportedly also target Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.

    Barca will try to sell the forward elsewhere if PSG are not interested, the story claims, with the Frenchman underwhelming since his switch to Camp Nou.

    ROUND-UP

    - Liverpool are apparently preparing for a battle with Germany. The Mirror reports Germany see Jurgen Klopp – contracted at Anfield until 2024 – as a successor to coach Joachim Low.

    Manchester United remain interested in Erling Haaland. ESPN claims the Premier League club are again ready to compete for the forward's services with Real Madrid if the Norway international decides to leave Borussia Dortmund.

    - Will Gareth Bale remain at Real Madrid? The Mirror suggests the Wales international is ready to fight for his place at the Santiago Bernabeu despite his differences with coach Zinedine Zidane.

    Saul Niguez is apparently wanted in the Premier League. AS says Man United are willing to pay around £71million (€80m) for the Atletico midfielder, who has a release clause of £132.5m (€150m).

    Barcelona may be prepared to sell players this close season, but Arthur will not be among them. Sport reports the Spanish champions see the midfielder as a key player. Meanwhile, it is also claimed Gent star Jonathan David has been offered to the Blaugrana.

    Juventus have reportedly secured the futures of two players. Rai Sport understands Blaise Matuidi has extended his contract with Juve until 2021, while Marko Pjaca – who is on loan at Anderlecht – has agreed to a deal until 2023.

  • On this day in sport: Mets boss dies, Red Rum hat-trick, MLS strike over, India glory On this day in sport: Mets boss dies, Red Rum hat-trick, MLS strike over, India glory

    Today marks 25 years since Major League Baseball stars called off their strike, which had resulted in the previous year's World Series being scrapped.

    It is also 38 years to the day since the New York Mets were left stunned by the death of one of the biggest names in baseball.

    History was made on this day in England at Aintree in 1977, while India's cricketers and Manchester United's Wayne Rooney were both celebrating nine years ago.

    Let's take a look back at April 2 in sporting history.

    1972 - Baseball in shock as Mets manager Hodges dies

    Gil Hodges had been a superstar with the Brooklyn Dodgers and Los Angeles Dodgers, and rounded off his playing career with the just-founded New York Mets. An eight-time All-Star, as a coach he added to the two World Series with the Dodgers, Hodges famously reviving the Mets and leading them to a shock 1969 title triumph over the Baltimore Orioles. But Hodges died on April 2, 1972, at the age of just 47, when he suffered a heart attack following a round of golf in West Palm Beach, Florida. It was his second heart attack: a first came in Atlanta in September 1968, early in his career as manager of the Mets.

    1977 - Red Rum wins third Grand National

    Tommy Stack rode Red Rum to Aintree glory, as the Ireland-bred steeplechaser followed up 1973 and 1974 triumphs at the Liverpool course with an unprecedented third Grand National victory. The feat has never been matched, with Red Rum triumphing against the odds after second-placed finishes in 1975 and 1976. At the age of 12, Red Rum's third success went down as one of racing's most famous wins.

    1995 - Baseball stars go back to work

    From August 12 1994 until April 2 1995, there was no top-tier baseball in the United States, with MLB stars going on strike in a labour dispute that stemmed from salary-cap proposals that got players riled. The 1994-95 season was abandoned in September, and the strike lasted for 232 days until judge Sonia Sotomayor's injunction against team owners persuaded the players to go back to work.

    2011 - India triumph, Rooney treble

    India landed Cricket World Cup glory in front of their home fans in Mumbai when the hosts landed a six-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the final. Mahela Jayawardene made a century in Sri Lanka's 274-6 before India reached their target with 10 balls to spare, helped by 97 from Gautam Gambhir and 91 not out from MS Dhoni.

    In London, on the same day, Wayne Rooney scored a hat-trick as Manchester United came from 2-0 behind to defeat West Ham 4-2 at Upton Park in the Premier League, an important result as Alex Ferguson's team went on to win the title weeks later.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.