Real Madrid make unwanted history as Brugge claim stunning 2-0 lead at Bernabeu

By Sports Desk October 01, 2019

A first-half brace from Club Brugge's Emmanuel Bonaventure Dennis saw Real Madrid make unwanted history in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Madrid sensationally fell 2-0 down to Brugge inside 39 minutes at the Santiago Bernabeu, heaping further pressure on head coach Zinedine Zidane following a 3-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain on matchday one.

Dennis' goals extended a miserable recent run for Los Blancos, who have now conceded two or more goals in three successive home European games for the first time in their history.

A stunning 4-1 loss to Ajax brought Madrid's bid for a fourth successive European crown to an end in March, while CSKA Moscow ran out 3-0 winners at the Bernabeu in December.

Another home humbling was in prospect against Brugge, although Madrid still had 45 minutes to turn things around.

Related items

  • Talking Point: Can Jamie Vardy break his own consecutive Premier League goals record? Talking Point: Can Jamie Vardy break his own consecutive Premier League goals record?

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has 14 goals for the Foxes this season with nine in his past seven Premier League games.

    Vardy's form has sparked talk of a title challenge for Brendan Rodgers' side, with Leicester currently occupying second place - eight points behind leaders Liverpool.

    The 32-year-old's current sequence has also drawn comparison with another of his hot streaks when Leicester last won the league. 

    Vardy's incredible run of scoring 11 matches in a row, which broke Ruud van Nistelrooy's record of 10 goals in consecutive matches, was one of the most memorable moments of Leicester's championship-winning campaign of 2015-16.

    "I don't think he is," Rodgers said, when asked if Vardy was thinking about breaking for the record again. "I think he just looks to the next game."

    VARDY'S GOALS ECHO 5000-1 TITLE SEASON

    When Vardy is flying, so are Leicester. There is something more than reminiscent about his current ruthlessness in front of goal. Or is there?

    Vardy seems to be attempting fewer dribbles this time around – his tally of 13 so far is proportionally lower than the 33 he made in those record-breaking 11 matches. A sign, perhaps, his style is not quite as tenacious and direct as a few years ago.

    He is marginally down on the number of shots on goal, too. He has attempted 24 shots in the past seven games versus 49 in 11 during 2015.

    Vardy does, though, have two assists to his name during this streak against none last time around. An indicator of his experience, intelligence and awareness.

    "I love his energy," said Rodgers. "I love his passion. He actually loves football, which helps. He knows the game."

    HIGH-OCTANE VARDY STILL HUNGRY FOR GOALS

    The well-documented pre-match routine has remained the same for Vardy under Rodgers.

    Vardy still downs three cans of Red Bull, sips a double-expresso coffee and munches on a cheese and ham omelette ahead of kick-off.

    He also remains as committed and hungry as ever, even though he turns 33 next month. It was only eight years ago he was working in a factory before turning professional for Fleetwood Town.

    In the build up to the campaign, Vardy came back leaner and meaner than he has ever been. The Telegraph reported his pre-season his fitness statistics were 21 per cent better his best score in 2012, the year he joined the Foxes.

    He has also been more accurate during this goalscoring streak. Vardy has a shooting accuracy of 72.7 per cent and a shot conversion of 37.5 per cent in his present run compared to 62.2 and 26.5.

    FIVE GOALS FROM GREATNESS

    Five goals in five games would see Vardy break the record he set in November 2015.

    Leicester's next five games are Aston Villa (a), Norwich (h), Manchester City (a), Liverpool (h) and West Ham (a) and Vardy will be a near-certain starter provided he does not pick up an injury or suspension.

    On paper, Liverpool and City might present Vardy's biggest test but he actually boasts an impressive record against the Premier League's top clubs.

    His seven goals in 10 games against Liverpool is only bettered by the nine he has scored facing Arsenal in the same number of matches – no wonder they wanted to sign him in 2016! 

    Against defending champions City, he has four goals in 10 appearances, one in four against Villa, one in two versus Norwich and three in nine against West Ham.

  • Chilwell? Sancho? Zaha? Who might Chelsea sign in January? Chilwell? Sancho? Zaha? Who might Chelsea sign in January?

    Chelsea can press on with their January plans after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) halved their transfer ban on Friday.

    The Blues were barred by FIFA from registering new players for two successive windows in February, having been found guilty of breaching rules relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

    However, CAS has reduced that ban to one window, which the Blues have already served, giving Frank Lampard the green light to make fresh acquisitions next month.

    We take a look at who could be arriving at Stamford Bridge during the mid-season market.

     

    BEN CHILWELL

    Left-back would seem the obvious place to start for Lampard.

    Club captain Cesar Azpilicueta and Emerson Palmieri have been deployed there this season, but the latter has been linked with a move to Juventus.

    With Marcos Alonso out of favour and Azpilicueta now 30, Chelsea might want a younger option in line with the parts of their first team now thriving.

    Leicester City's Chilwell, 22, fits the bill, although he would not come cheap. Valencia's Jose Gaya is another mooted target who would likely command a smaller fee.

    JADON SANCHO

    Willian and Pedro are both out of contract at the end of the season and they appear destined to depart.

    Teenager Callum Hudson-Odoi will be expected to have a bigger role and Christian Pulisic has impressed in recent weeks, but Lampard would welcome more attacking firepower.

    Borussia Dortmund winger Sancho's time in Germany seems close to ending and the Londoner might relish a return to the capital.

    However, if Sancho is to depart over the next two windows, Chelsea will be in a long line of interested suitors.

    WILFRIED ZAHA

    A move away from Crystal Palace failed to materialise in the close-season window for Zaha.

    The former Manchester United winger is undoubtedly talented and proven in the Premier League.

    However, Zaha's situation is complicated by the fact he signed a five-year contract in 2018.

    Arsenal and Everton were reportedly keen a few months before the demises of Unai Emery and Marco Silva, but Chelsea represent a more attractive option.

    NATHAN AKE

    Fikayo Tomori and Kurt Zouma have been Lampard's preferred central-defensive partners, though the Blues have kept just three Premier League clean sheets in 2019-20.

    Germany international Antonio Rudiger is due back soon but it is a former Blues defender who may be of interest in January.

    It is believed Chelsea included a £40million buy-back clause in Ake's deal when he was sold to Bournemouth in 2017.

    As was the case with Nemanja Matic, Ake has developed considerably during his time away from Stamford Bridge and could prove a relative bargain at his buy-back price.

    MOUSSA DEMBELE

    With 11 goals in 14 Premier League games, Tammy Abraham has shown he is capable of leading the line.

    However, there are limited options behind him and they will be depleted further if Olivier Giroud, 33, leaves as expected.

    Lyon striker Dembele, once of Fulham and Celtic, is thought to be of interest to the Blues.

    The joint-top scorer in Ligue 1, Dembele is having a fine season. But would he be happy playing second fiddle to Abraham?

  • Chelsea blast FIFA for treating them 'entirely differently to Man City' over transfer breaches Chelsea blast FIFA for treating them 'entirely differently to Man City' over transfer breaches

    Chelsea have hit out at FIFA for treating them "entirely differently to Manchester City" over transfer breaches after the London club had their registration ban halved by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

    The Premier League side were banned from registering new players for two successive transfer windows by FIFA in February, a punishment handed down for breaching rules related to acquiring and registering players under the age of 18.

    An appeal to FIFA had been partially upheld, allowing them to sign players 16 or younger, but Friday's announcement means they will now be able to buy reinforcements for their senior team in January.

    Chelsea have since taken the opportunity to lambast FIFA's treatment of them, convinced they were dealt a crueller hand than Manchester City, who avoided a transfer ban in August despite the world's governing body finding them to have breached rules on under-18 signings.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.