Lucas & Perisic fit for Tottenham match, Bayern confirm

By Sports Desk September 29, 2019

Bayern Munich pair Lucas Hernandez and Ivan Perisic have been declared fit to feature in Tuesday's Champions League meeting with Tottenham.

Lucas was substituted at half-time in Saturday's 3-2 win against Paderborn with a knee injury, while Perisic missed the Bundesliga clash through illness.

However, Bayern confirmed on their official website that both men will travel to London on Monday morning after being given the all-clear.

The German champions beat Red Star Belgrade 3-0 in their opening Group B match, while Spurs were pegged back to a 2-2 at Olympiacos.

Perisic is in contention to start at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium after making a good impression in his last two outings, having set up a goal against Red Star and scored versus Cologne last week.

The former Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg winger finds himself back in German football after joining Bayern on loan from Inter in August, but had he got his wish he would have been plying his trade for Manchester United.

In an interview with The Athletic, Perisic revealed: "How close was I going there? Very close.

"It was an amazing thing for me when Jose [Mourinho] called me. It was difficult to say no to him.

"In fact, I really, really wanted to join him and play for United. It was a dream of mine to play in all the big leagues. But it didn't happen.

"It was painful for me. But I don't want to go into the details. I only found out myself the real reasons two years later."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay

    Juventus and Inter are reportedly ready to do battle for Roma star Nicolo Zaniolo.

    Zaniolo, 21, made his return from a serious knee injury this month and has repeatedly been linked with a move away from Roma.

    A pair of Serie A giants may be ready to fight for the midfielder's services.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER, JUVE TO BATTLE FOR ZANIOLO

    Inter are ready to challenge Juventus to sign Roma star Zaniolo, according to CalcioMercato.

    Zaniolo is considered one of Europe's best young talents, and left Inter for Roma in 2018.

    Roma reportedly want at least €50million for the five-time Italy international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Contracted at Manchester City until 2021, Sergio Aguero may yet stay at the Etihad Stadium a little longer. The Mirror reports City have not ruled out giving the star forward, 32, a one-year extension.

    - With Neymar repeatedly linked with a return to Barcelona, it seems the LaLiga giants are wanting to distance themselves from the Paris Saint-Germain star. Marca says Barca are keen to see the rumours of a potential return for Neymar stop.

    - Staying at Camp Nou and Barcelona apparently have interest in two players from Tottenham. The Daily Star says Barca want Ryan Sessegnon and Tanguy Ndombele. However, it reports Spurs will reject all offers for Sessegnon this close season.

    - Philippe Coutinho's future remains unclear. Mundo Deportivo reports the playmaker, who is on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona until the end of the season, will not decide his future until after the Champions League next month.

    - Plenty of talk continues to surround Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who is coming out of contract at the Premier League club next year. The Daily Star reports the forward will sign a contract extension with Arsenal – if no other club makes an official approach.

    - After just two goals in 25 games for Real Madrid, Luka Jovic seems set for an exit. According to Mundo Deportivo, Juventus, Inter, Chelsea, Leicester City, Milan and Napoli are all considering moves for the forward.

  • Setien says Messi needs a rest as Barcelona chase LaLiga title Setien says Messi needs a rest as Barcelona chase LaLiga title

    Quique Setien said Lionel Messi needed a rest as his "tired" Barcelona kept the pressure on Real Madrid with a 1-0 win over Real Valladolid.

    Messi set up Arturo Vidal's 15th-minute goal on Saturday as Barca moved back within a point of rivals and LaLiga leaders Madrid, who have a game in hand.

    But the superstar attacker played 90 minutes as Barca's busy schedule continued and Setien said afterwards that Messi needed a rest.

    "He probably will get a rest, yes," the Barcelona coach told a news conference.

    "I've mentioned it to him previously and perhaps today if we'd got a couple more goals, as I think we deserved, he probably would have come off to get a little bit of a rest."

    Antoine Griezmann and Luis Suarez, meanwhile, each played 45 minutes, with the Uruguayan replacing the France international at half-time.

    Setien, who said Griezmann had taken a "knock", feels Barca were tired after a third game in the space of a week.

    "I think it's mostly tired legs. It's less than 72 hours since we played our last game," he said.

    "It was very hot today and the pitch felt a lot bigger towards the end of the match. You could see that, a lot of players were not looking fresh on late in the game and they probably lacked that touch of intensity.

    "We've played many games and it's very draining and we have quite a few players who've played a lot of minutes so we can't blame our football, I blame mostly our tired legs for today's game.

    "Sometimes that can affect your decision making, but this is normal for the current situation we're in."

  • Costa on controversial Atletico winner: It didn't come off my arm Costa on controversial Atletico winner: It didn't come off my arm

    Diego Costa denied that his goal in Atletico Madrid's 1-0 victory over Real Betis was scored with the assistance of his arm.

    Atleti secured the win they needed to clinch a top-four finish in LaLiga on Saturday, despite playing over half an hour with 10 men following Mario Hermoso's straight red card for a foul on Loren Moron.

    Costa was sent on as one of a trio of attacking changes just before Hermoso's dismissal and, after Diego Simeone's side absorbed some late pressure, he guided Yannick Carrasco's free-kick into the bottom-right corner to seal the three points.

    Betis defender Marc Bartra played Costa onside but a lengthy VAR check was conducted to see whether the Atleti striker had used his arm in the process of scoring.

    The replays appeared inconclusive and the goal was allowed to stand, unlike first-half efforts for Angel Correa and Alvaro Morata that were chalked off with video assistance.

    "It would be one thing if they called it offside for my goal but it didn't come off my arm. I'm very clear it wasn't [handball] and I'm happy," Costa told Movistar.

    "It was a difficult game after Mario's red card. Our goal was to finish in the top four. Now we have that and we've got two more games we have to try to win to continue our good form.

    "I think it was a good sign that we scored from a set-piece. We were in control. What happened in the second half made it more difficult, but we had a bit of luck and got the win.

    "I don't know why we always have to suffer like this, but we always suffer and win. If we don't suffer, we don't feel right, so we're happy and we'll look for more glory."

    Referee Jose Luis Gonzalez Gonzalez maintained his decision to dismiss Hermoso after a trip to the pitchside monitor, but Costa felt a booking would also have been a fair punishment.

    "If they'd given a yellow card for Mario Hermoso then fine. I think it was on the limit and in the end the referee has to make the decision, but I think a yellow or red was fair," he said.

    Guido Rodriguez disagreed with Costa's assessment of the goal, claiming the ball clearly struck the attacker's arm.

    "We saw that when Costa scored it touched his arm, but they didn't make that decision, so that's how it was," the Betis midfielder said.

    "We played with a player more, looking for the goal, but we leave pretty annoyed because we couldn't get it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.