I hear they're playing well? - Sarri yet to watch Juventus' title rivals Inter in action

By Sports Desk September 28, 2019

Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri revealed he has yet to watch Inter in action this season ahead of next week's top-of-the-table showdown in Serie A.

Reigning Italian champions Juve moved above Inter into top spot with Saturday's 2-0 win over SPAL at the Allianz Stadium – Conte's side featuring away to Sampdoria shortly after.

Inter won their first five matches this season and will return to the summit with victory over Sampdoria in their game in hand.

Juve travel to San Siro in eight days but Sarri will not turn focus to that match until after the midweek clash with Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League.

"I haven't actually watched any Inter games this season as we've focused mainly on the teams we are facing next," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"We'll watch a couple of Bayer Leverkusen matches and then go to dinner.

"I hear that Inter are playing very well? I had no doubt they would considering the quality of the coach and their players. I always said this would be a far more balanced season."

Juve were frustrated by SPAL keeper Etrit Berisha for large parts of Saturday's contest, but an impressive hit from Miralem Pjanic and a late header from Cristiano Ronaldo made it three league wins in a row for the Turin giants.

Sarri acknowledged his side were a little off the pace in the first half, despite managing four attempts on target, but was pleased they got the job done on home soil.

"We had a few difficulties finding the right tempo in the opening stages, especially as SPAL were so clammed up," he said.

"It wasn't the tempo of the players. We moved the ball too slowly and there wasn't enough movement off the ball.

"It was better in the second half - we created many chances and conceded very few. I was pleased with the determination shown by the players who came off the bench."

Gonzalo Higuain was left on the bench as Sarri used Ronaldo alongside Paulo Dybala, the latter teeing up his strike partner with a fine delivery to settle the contest.

"Cristiano Ronaldo was lively and created four or five scoring opportunities, while Higuain has been doing well this season.

"It's good to have three forwards where any combination you choose - you can't really go wrong."

Related items

  • Guardiola hopes Messi stays at Barcelona Guardiola hopes Messi stays at Barcelona

    Pep Guardiola has reiterated he wants to see Lionel Messi stay at Barcelona.

    Barca talisman Messi is out of contract in 2021 and there is fresh speculation the six-time Ballon d’Or winner may wish to leave the club, who have not won the Champions League since 2015.

    The forward has often been linked with a move to Manchester City to play under his former Camp Nou coach Guardiola.

    But the City boss was reluctant to discuss transfers ahead of Wednesday's Premier League home match against Newcastle United.

    He also stressed his stance on Messi has not changed, having previously expressed his hope the Argentine remains with Barca when questioned on the topic.

    "I'm not going to speak about transfers until the end of the season," he said. "My wish is that Messi is going to stay in Barcelona."

    Asked if a new centre-back was in his plans, he added: "At the end of the season. We still have incredible targets to fight for."

    Meanwhile, Guardiola insisted he had no influence on where City's Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid will be played, with a decision due this week.

    City lead the tie 2-1 after a win at Santiago Bernabeu before the coronavirus lockdown and reports suggested Guardiola had lobbied UEFA over playing the return leg in Manchester rather than at a neutral venue.

    "I am not strong enough to have this impact," he said.

    "I am not a president. They have protocols. I have never spoken with UEFA. I have said many times that we want to play in Manchester but we are going to accept wherever UEFA decide to play.

    "What I want is to play against Madrid. This is what I want but I didn't make phone calls, I don't have this power."

    The club are also getting closer to finding out the verdict from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) as they appeal against their two-year Champions League ban.

    "On July 10 it is the [Champions League quarter-final] draw and [July] 13 will be the sentence," Guardiola added.

    "After that, I will give my opinion. We wait for the resolution from UEFA. This season is not going to change. It is so beautiful what we have in front of us."

  • FIFA agrees to mediation in dispute with TTFA FIFA agrees to mediation in dispute with TTFA

    FIFA has agreed to settle their dispute with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) through mediation.

  • Barca boss Setien sniffs title chance despite Real Madrid's seven-win streak Barca boss Setien sniffs title chance despite Real Madrid's seven-win streak

    Barcelona boss Quique Setien is clinging to the hope Real Madrid will falter to allow for a late twist in the title race.

    Despite holding a narrow LaLiga lead when the season resumed, Barcelona have slipped four points behind their great rivals and only four rounds of games remain.

    A coronation for Zinedine Zidane's team appears inevitable, given they have won seven straight fixtures since the league's suspension ended.

    But Setien is refusing to wave the white flag, saying on Tuesday: "Of course we can still win LaLiga. Mathematics says it. We have to keep hope until the final day.

    "We have to look at what we can do. Win, leave good feelings, make progress. And if not in this situation, everything we do is worth it for the next one."

    Should Barcelona take the title battle down to the final day, that would be a small triumph in itself given current circumstances.

    They have the Champions League resumption to come in August, then a new LaLiga season after that, and Setien wants to see signs of progress from a team who have struggled since COVID-19 caused the 2019-20 campaign to be stalled for three months.

    Victory in the home derby against Espanyol on Wednesday is surely imperative.

     

    Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu has indicated he plans to keep Setien on for the 2020-21 season, with the coach speaking of "the circus that is football" as speculation surrounded his position.

    "The club are happy with the work we do, I focus on that," he said in a news conference. "I don't value whether we win a game or lose others. I don't live daily, I work with more perspective.

    "We are quite happy, as I have said on numerous occasions. Results are one thing and the feelings are another."

    Setien feels his team are performing better than their results have been indicating, speaking of "very good moments" in the matches where Barcelona have dropped points. Three draws, alongside the four wins they have achieved since LaLiga returned, have been costly.

    Coach Setien was cheered by Antoine Griezmann's delicious chip in Sunday's 4-1 win at Villarreal, where the Frenchman was given a more central attacking role than in previous games and thrived on the responsibility.

    "He has enough ability to show his level," Setien said. "The other day there was a moment of inspiration and the players who played on the inside and the threat on the outside were closely linked. Sergi Roberto helped and did things very well."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.