Fabinho: Liverpool still have winning momentum for Chelsea clash

By Sports Desk September 21, 2019

Liverpool midfielder Fabinho believes the midweek Champions League loss to Napoli will not affect the club's Premier League form leading into Sunday's game against Chelsea.

The European champions lost 2-0 at Stadio San Paolo on Tuesday, their first since being beaten by Manchester City on penalties in the Community Shield.

Jurgen Klopp's men won six successive matches in between as they lifted the European Super Cup and opened up a five-point advantage atop the Premier League.

Brazil international Fabinho views that run as a greater guide to what will happen at Stamford Bridge than the failure in Italy.

"I think the momentum of the team has been very important up until now," Fabinho told his club's website.

"Each victory increases our confidence and spurs us on to play even better.

"I don't think the defeat at Napoli will make us lose our momentum, we will continue trying to play well and be focused on our objectives.

"We lost the game on Tuesday, but I don't think we played badly.

"We did what we'd been doing in the Premier League, so we need to keep up this momentum. We've had a great start in the league and need to keep winning. We're playing in the same style and doing what we're used to."

Visiting a Chelsea side that put five past Wolves last weekend is another major hurdle for the Reds to clear in their quest to go one better than last season's second-place finish.

An exceptional end to that campaign and a fine start to this term sees Liverpool take a 14-game Premier League winning streak to London.

"I know these are numbers, but they are very important numbers for us," Fabinho said.

"It shows how consistent our team is and that's really important for a side like ours which looks to do important things in the Premier League.

"I hope we continue like this like we did last season and that we get even better this season."

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed David de Gea and Paul Pogba will miss Manchester United's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.
  • Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback

    Everton midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin is facing a further three months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his right thigh, the Premier League club have announced.

    The 24-year-old sustained a tendon injury in August and has featured just twice for Everton since joining from Bundesliga club Mainz.

    Gbamin resumed light training earlier this month but suffered a setback on his return from injury and was operated on in France on Tuesday.

    A statement on Everton's official website read: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Jean-Philippe Gbamin has undergone surgery on a tendon injury in his right quadriceps muscle, which will keep the midfielder out of action for around three months."

    Gbamin, signed as a reported £25million replacement for Idrissa Gueye, will continue his rehabilitation with Everton's medical staff at the Finch Farm training base.

    Marco Silva's side are 18th in the Premier League following just two wins in their opening eight matches.

  • Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent

    Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Mohamed Elneny from Arsenal during the transfer window, according to the midfielder's agent.

    Elneny swapped Arsenal for Besiktas on a season-long loan in August after falling down the midfield pecking order at Emirates Stadium.

    The Egypt international was also said to be wanted by other clubs, while reports in Italy this week suggested AC Milan may make an approach in the January window.

    "He received a lot of offers last summer, led by Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia, but Besiktas managed to settle the deal with Arsenal," agent Alan Nazmy told Egyptian TV channel Time Sport.

    "Milan and Roma previously tried to sign the player during the last winter transfer window, but the negotiations didn't work then, and he received more than one offer as well."

    Asked about fresh rumoured interest from Milan, Nazmy said: "I can't talk about it."

    Elneny made 89 appearances for Arsenal in all competitions after joining from Swiss side FC Basel in 2016, including 17 outings last season.

    Arsenal boss Unai Emery allowed the 27-year-old to leave following the arrival of Dani Ceballos and emergence of academy product Joe Willock, but the door has not been closed on a return next year.

    "Emery didn't ask for his departure from Arsenal because of his performance," Nazmy said. "He demanded that [Elneny] took a chance to develop his performance and return again.

    "It is possible for him to play with Arsenal again. It still remains a strong possibility."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.