EPL

Lindelof signs new Man United contract

By Sports Desk September 18, 2019

Victor Lindelof has signed a new long-term Manchester United contract, the club have confirmed.

Sweden defender Lindelof has committed his future to the club to 2024, with an option to extend the contract by a further year.

The centre-back joined from Benfica two years ago and has started all five Premier League games for United this term, forming a partnership with new signing Harry Maguire.

"Since the day I arrived at United it has felt like home," Lindelof told the club's official website.

"I have grown significantly both as a player and as a person in the last two years and for that I am grateful to everyone at the club for their help and support. I love playing football and my aim now is to help the team to win trophies and repay the fans for their unrivalled support.

"I know that everyone at the club shares this vision and will give everything to get Manchester United back to where it belongs.

"I'm still young and know I can improve further but with the help of the boss and his coaching staff, I believe that only good things are ahead for this great club."

The 25-year-old has made 74 appearances in all competitions for United, with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer delighted to have secured the defender's future.

"Victor has established himself here and has become a very important part of our team," Solskjaer said. "He brings calmness on the pitch and I can see that he is determined to help this club and to be successful here.

"I'm extremely happy that he has committed his future to Manchester United. We're all looking forward to working together to deliver the success and get United back to where we know the club belongs."

Lindelof commits his future to United in the same week Spain goalkeeper David de Gea finally signed a new long-term contract at Old Trafford.

United begin their Europa League campaign at home to Astana on Thursday.

Related items

  • Tottenham re-sign Vorm as cover for injured Lloris Tottenham re-sign Vorm as cover for injured Lloris

    Tottenham have re-signed free agent goalkeeper Michel Vorm on a short-term deal to provide cover for injured skipper Hugo Lloris.

    The 35-year-old had been without a club since being released by Tottenham when his contract expired at the end of last season.

    However, with Lloris out for the rest of 2019 with an elbow injury sustained in the 3-0 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion on October 5, the Premier League side have moved to bring in Vorm until the end of the season.

    Ex-Netherlands international Vorm, who made 47 appearances in all competitions for Tottenham during his previous five-season spell in north London, has again been assigned squad number 13.

    He will likely act as back-up to Paulo Gazzaniga when Mauricio Pochettino's side return to action with a home match against Watford next Saturday.

  • St Pauli release Cenk Sahin after Instagram post supporting Turkey's military action in Syria St Pauli release Cenk Sahin after Instagram post supporting Turkey's military action in Syria

    German second-tier side St Pauli have released Cenk Sahin after the midfielder showed support for Turkey's military operation in Syria on Instagram.

    The club launched an investigation after Sahin used the social media platform to support the armed offensive against Kurdish-held regions in Syria via a post that has since been deleted.

    Sahin received criticism for the post and St Pauli released a statement on Friday distancing themselves from it as it "is not compatible with the club's values".

    A club review has now been completed, with Sahin released.

    "The internal review of Cenk Sahin's Instagram post on the deployment of the Turkish army in Syria has been completed. After further talks between club officials and the player, Cenk Sahin has been released from his training and playing duties with immediate effect," a club statement read. 

    "The prime factors in reaching the decisions were his repeated disregard for the club's values and the need to protect the player.

    "After numerous discussions with fans, members and friends whose roots lie in Turkey, it has become clear to us that we cannot and should not attempt to gauge nuances in perceptions and attitudes from other cultural backgrounds in detail. That we reject acts of war is not open to doubt or discussion, however. These acts, and the expression of solidarity with them, run counter to the values of the club.

    "The existing contract will remain valid in the first instance. For the protection of all the parties involved, FC St. Pauli is granting Cenk Sahin permission to train with and play matches for other clubs."

  • Mings handed debut as Southgate rings changes for Bulgaria v England Mings handed debut as Southgate rings changes for Bulgaria v England

    Tyrone Mings will make his international debut in England's Euro 2020 qualifier against Bulgaria in Sofia.

    The Aston Villa centre-back has been selected ahead of Everton's Michael Keane, with England boss Gareth Southgate ringing the changes after Friday's surprise 2-1 loss to the Czech Republic.

    Ben Chilwell comes in at left-back for the suspended Danny Rose, whose Tottenham team-mate Harry Winks will operate at the base of the midfield as Declan Rice drops to the bench.

    Southgate has turned to two relatively more experienced heads in the form of Ross Barkley and Marcus Rashford, who replace Mason Mount and Jadon Sancho respectively.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.