Insigne is like Hazard, says Alexander-Arnold

By Sports Desk September 16, 2019

Liverpool full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold believes Napoli attacker Lorenzo Insigne is similar to Real Madrid star Eden Hazard.

Insigne's late winner saw Napoli edge Liverpool 1-0 in the Champions League in October last year.

The Italy international has made an impressive start to the Serie A season, scoring twice and providing two assists in three games.

Ahead of Liverpool's clash against Napoli on Tuesday, Alexander-Arnold talked up Insigne and compared the 28-year-old to Hazard.

"Obviously he's a really good player. He's someone who really helps them play football, understands the way that they want to play, really encourages the team to play out, able to hit [it to] him and he'll be able to hold the ball up," the right-back told UK media, via the Liverpool Echo.

"He's a really tricky player, really strong, fast, quite agile. He's kind of like Eden Hazard I'd say, that type of player who is tricky to get hold of and mark. Coming up against him is always a tough test but they are the things that you expect in the Champions League.

"He's a great player, probably a little bit underrated in terms of the respect and the plaudits that he gets, but he's a real fantastic player.

"I think his team-mates will say the same and the people that come up against him will say how tricky he is to actually nullify. He's a good player, they've got many a good player and we need to be ready for that."

Insigne has helped Napoli claim six points from three Serie A games to start the season, while Liverpool are top of the Premier League after winning five from five.

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed David de Gea and Paul Pogba will miss Manchester United's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.
  • Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback

    Everton midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin is facing a further three months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his right thigh, the Premier League club have announced.

    The 24-year-old sustained a tendon injury in August and has featured just twice for Everton since joining from Bundesliga club Mainz.

    Gbamin resumed light training earlier this month but suffered a setback on his return from injury and was operated on in France on Tuesday.

    A statement on Everton's official website read: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Jean-Philippe Gbamin has undergone surgery on a tendon injury in his right quadriceps muscle, which will keep the midfielder out of action for around three months."

    Gbamin, signed as a reported £25million replacement for Idrissa Gueye, will continue his rehabilitation with Everton's medical staff at the Finch Farm training base.

    Marco Silva's side are 18th in the Premier League following just two wins in their opening eight matches.

  • We have to fight through it - Dier calls on Tottenham to 'embrace' slump challenge We have to fight through it - Dier calls on Tottenham to 'embrace' slump challenge

    Eric Dier has called on everyone connected with Tottenham to "embrace" the situation of being labelled a crisis club as they fight to get their campaign back on track.

    Tottenham entered the two-week international break on the back of a 3-0 loss to Brighton and Hove Albion, leaving them ninth in the Premier League.

    Mauricio Pochettino's side were also beaten 7-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League earlier this month and were knocked out of the EFL Cup on penalties by League Two side Colchester United.

    Tottenham return to action on Saturday with a home match against Watford, and Dier, who started his first league match of the campaign against Brighton, is determined there will be a positive response.

    "To be honest, after Brighton, I wanted to play again the next day," Dier told the club's official website. "It's never nice going into an international break on that note and having to wait this long.

    "At the same time, it gives you time to settle and put your emotions in the right place. Hopefully that's what we'll do, and we can all push through this as a club. We need everyone - players, staff, fans - to stand up and push through this.

    "I don't want us to be one of those teams that allows a situation like this [to] escalate and eventually bring us down. I want us to all stand up and push through it and that's the feeling from everyone here.

    "We’re a very realistic group, very realistic about our situation and we know we need to do better."

    Last season's beaten Champions League finalists have won just three of their 11 matches in all competitions this term, but Dier suggested the recent talk of a crisis at the club shows just how far they have come under Pochettino.

    "For me, the main thing is we've been working all together - okay, some people have gone, some people have come in - but working all together over the last five years to get to the point where this is the conversation when you lose two games on the trot," he said.

    "We've wanted to get to the point where we are considered a team that if you lose two games like that, you come in for a lot of criticism. Now, we have to embrace the situation.

    "We've got to this point and now we need to... as I said to the press after the Brighton game, we can't back down, we need to push forward, push through it, fight through it, everyone together.

    "It's always been one of this team's strengths, coming together and getting ourselves out of difficult situations in games, in tough periods. We've shown that so many times and my drive, and everyone's drive, is to get us out of this situation as well.”

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.