Conte: Champions League campaign could stall Inter project

By Sports Desk September 16, 2019

Antonio Conte is committed to building a "special" Inter side but has called for patience from fans and media alike ahead of the Nerazzurri's Champions League meeting with Slavia Prague.

Inter have won all three of their opening Serie A fixtures under Conte and sit top of the table.

Head coach Conte, though, has insisted patience will be required throughout the campaign, conceding the Champions League will make it more difficult for him to pin down Inter's new style of play.

"It will be hard to play on more than one front. The more time you have the easier it is for the coach and also for the players to recover," Conte told a news conference.

"The Champions League is a great source of motivation, we all want to do well and go far for the fans too, but it is not easy for me in my goal of creating a side with an identity.

"There is real desire to create something special, we are laying solid foundations for something important.

"It is vital we keep our feet on the ground, but the enthusiasm must come from the results, from our hard work and our aims, so time and patience is needed.

"I played in three Champions League finals and coached Juventus in the Champions League too, my record there was good.

"At Chelsea too, I coached in the Champions League, this is my fourth season as a coach in the Champions League, but it takes time to win it, you need experience, you need to create a side with an identity.

"In the past I have coached sides still being built. It has not been easy for me."

The arrival of Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez have boosted Inter's attack, while Conte's side have scored seven and conceded just once in their three league matches so far.

Lukaku has scored twice so far, though had to be taken off with an injury midway through the second half against Udinese on Saturday.

"Lukaku will train today," Conte said when asked if the forward was fit.

"He had a back injury against Udinese but we will see and evaluate his fitness."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid make Mourinho contact, Koeman could join Barcelona Rumour Has It: Real Madrid make Mourinho contact, Koeman could join Barcelona

    With Zinedine Zidane on thin ice, a familiar face could return to Real Madrid.

    Pressure is mounting on Zidane following Madrid's shock LaLiga loss to Real Mallorca on Saturday, a result that means they sit behind Barcelona in the table.

    Former Madrid head coach Mourinho could be the answer to their problems…

     

    TOP STORY – MADRID REACH OUT TO MOU

    Real Madrid have contacted Jose Mourinho as pressure mounts on head coach Zinedine Zidane, according to El Chiringuito.

    Zidane – in his second spell in charge after winning three successive Champions League titles prior to leaving ahead of the 2018-19 season – has failed to convince upon his return to the LaLiga giants.

    And ex-Manchester United manager Mourinho, who spent three years in the Spanish capital – winning the 2011-12 LaLiga title, is reportedly wanted by Madrid president Florentino Perez.

    ROUND-UP

    - Netherlands head coach Ronald Koeman could move to Barcelona in 2020. After Dutch Football Federation (KNVB) sporting director Nico-Jan Hoogma confirmed Koeman has a specific release clause in his contract built around his former club, Marca has linked the ex-Barca defender to Camp Nou.

    Real Madrid are pushing to sign Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho and Salzburg teenager Erling Haaland, claims El Desmarque. Sancho has been heavily linked to Manchester United.

    - Calciomercato says Arsenal are favourites to sign RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano. The 20-year-old was linked to the Gunners before the transfer window closed.

    Inter are tracking Atalanta's Swedish teenager Dejan Kulusevski, reports Calciomercato. The 19-year-old is attracting interest during his loan spell at Parma, where he has scored two goals and supplied five assists in Serie A.

    - According to SPORT, Barcelona are interested in two Bundesliga players. While Bayer Leverkusen sensation Kai Havertz is coveted, the LaLiga champions are also keeping an eye on Schalke's Amine Harit.

  • Guardiola: Manchester City still not ready to win Champions League Guardiola: Manchester City still not ready to win Champions League

    Manchester City are still not ready to win the Champions League, according to manager Pep Guardiola.

    City responded to their shock Premier League loss to Wolves prior to the international break with a 2-0 victory at Crystal Palace on Saturday.

    Two-time reigning Premier League champions City are six points adrift of unbeaten leaders Liverpool ahead of Tuesday's Champions League fixture against Atalanta.

    Having conquered English football, City covet European glory but Guardiola believes his team are not close to reigning supreme in the Champions League.

    "The people say about the Champions League, that target. We still are not ready," said Guardiola, whose City have lost in the quarter-finals in each of the past two seasons.

    "We create a lot, don't concede, but can improve. We've scored a lot over the last two seasons and I don't have doubts about that, but we have to keep going, work on that."

    Gabriel Jesus scored in the victory at Selhurst Park, where the Brazil forward netted his 50th City goal since arriving from Palmeiras in 2017.

    "He [Jesus] will have a long career and with his mentality always he will have success. He is hungry, he will become an important striker around the world and we are lucky to have him," Guardiola said.

    "Gabriel was always good from the beginning. Unfortunately he had the two tough injuries. Last season it was tough for him, after the World Cup it was not easy, but he is strong.

    "He is a number nine for Brazil. The club brought an incredible, young player for an incredible price. One of the best signings.

    "To compete with Sergio [Aguero] is maybe the most difficult thing. Sergio is a legend, an outrageous player - amazing, but Gabriel is so calm.

    "He is a competitor, he accepts the decision and every training session he fights like an animal, but he is so young and can improve."

  • Cavalier snap Molynes unbeaten streak - Promoted team suffer first loss of season Cavalier snap Molynes unbeaten streak - Promoted team suffer first loss of season

    Cavalier handed promoted Molynes United their first loss of the season with a 3-1 drubbing in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) at Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday.

    The RSPL newcomers have enjoyed a rosy start to life in the top flight, winning their first six games of the season before drawing with Harbour View last weekend.  Cavalier were determined to ensure that they did mount a quick recovery and dominated throughout the encounter.

    Chevonne Marsh gave the visitors an early lead in the 22nd minute and with the match heading towards halftime, Keithy Simpson doubled that advantage with his goal in the 42nd minute.  The game seemed to be well and truly over by the time Nicholas Hamilton added a third goal in the 82nd minute but Anthony Greenland got a consolation goal for the hosts in stoppage time.

     Elsewhere, league leaders Waterhouse failed to take advantage of the Molynes United slip-up as they were themselves hammered 3-1 by Mount Pleasant.  Jourdaine Fletcher put the hosts in the lead in the 40th minute, with Francios Swaby doubling that lead just five minutes later.  Andre Fletcher, however, made things interesting when he found the back of the net in the 81st minute, setting up the potential of a grandstand finish.  The two-goal advantage was restored when Kesslon Hall struck in time added on.

    Tivoli Gardens left things late but still grabbed all three points when Davian Garrison found the back of the net in the 82nd minute.  In other matches, Humble Lions and Harbour View played to a 0-0 draw at Effortville, while UWI and Vere United played to a 1-1 draw at UWI bowl.

     

     

     

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.