EPL

Matic frustrated with Man United role

By Sports Desk September 15, 2019

Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic admitted it has been frustrating sitting on the bench this season.

Matic made his first start of the 2019-20 campaign as United edged Leicester City in the Premier League on Saturday following the international break.

The Serbia international came in for the injured Paul Pogba at Old Trafford, however, Matic had been limited to just 22 minutes of action prior to Leicester's visit.

United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has preferred Pogba and Scott McTominay in midfield, and Matic said: "Of course [it has been frustrating]. I want to play, I always give my best for the team.

"The coach is the man who picks the team and when you are on the bench you are not happy, but I am trying to convince him to change his mind and pick me to play.

"The season is long. [Against Leicester] as you saw I played, and we won the game.

"I am happy so we will see in the future what the coach will decide. I am ready. In the last 10 years I have played in a high level and every game I try to do my best to help the team because I think I am a team player and I can help a lot I think."

When asked about knocking on Solskjaer's door about the situation, Matic – who arrived from Chelsea in 2017 – added:  "No, I never did that. I show my quality on the pitch, in training sessions and in games. This is not my way to fight for the place."

While it has been a frustrating start to the season for Matic, the 31-year-old saluted United's young players.

Marcus Rashford, (21), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (21), Daniel James (21) and McTominay (22) have all performed well for United, who are fourth and seven points off the pace after five matches.

"It doesn't matter if you are 18 or 35, you play for your team because you deserve to play," Matic said. "Manchester United are giving opportunities to the guys who grew up here in the academy and that's good because in big clubs they don't always get those opportunities. At big clubs there is always the pressure to get results.

"This season we can see who is ready to play at a high level. I am happy for them. I like to see young players on the pitch and hopefully they can bring us some fresh energy for the rest of the season."

Related items

  • Allegri will return next season amid links to Bayern and Arsenal Allegri will return next season amid links to Bayern and Arsenal

    Massimiliano Allegri vowed he will not take on a new job until midway through 2020 as the former Juventus boss continues to be linked with Bayern Munich and Arsenal.

    Allegri has been out of work since parting ways with Juventus following an eighth consecutive Serie A title in 2018-19 and fifth under the Italian's leadership.

    The 52-year-old – who is taking English lessons – has emerged as a target for some of Europe's biggest clubs after Bundesliga champions Bayern sacked Niko Kovac and Arsenal dismissed Unai Emery.

    But ex-Milan coach Allegri intends to wait until after the end of the 2019-20 season before launching his coaching comeback.

    "In June. I don't know if you can call it a sabbatical or not," Allegri told ESPN FC when asked if he is hungry to get back into management. "Giovanni [Branchini, Allegri's agent] and I immediately came to that decision. As soon as the relationship with Juventus came to an end the decision was to take a year out."

    He added: "Next year will be an important year. Important for the choice I end up making and the need to be prepared for it.

    "After a year out and five years at Juventus, I don't want to go back into the game and do badly. That would do my head in."

    On his English lessons, Allegri – who has also been linked to Premier League giants Manchester United – said: "I am taking lessons here in Milan. I manage to speak quite well. I find the listening part a bit more difficult.

    "If I'm talking to someone who helps me out by speaking a little slower then I understand. I watch films [in English] and if I read something in English I understand it fine."

  • Arsenal 1-2 Brighton and Hove Albion: Maupay downs sorry Gunners Arsenal 1-2 Brighton and Hove Albion: Maupay downs sorry Gunners

    Arsenal's dismal run of form rolled on as Neal Maupay's superb header earned Brighton and Hove Albion a 2-1 victory at Emirates Stadium.

    Alexandre Lacazette's 50th-minute equaliser on his 100th appearance for the club looked set to pave the way for Arsenal to claim their first win under caretaker boss Freddie Ljungberg.

    Yet Brighton, who had deservedly taken the lead through Adam Webster in the first half, managed to wrest back control after David Luiz had a goal ruled out by VAR.

    And it was Maupay who had the final say, as he brilliantly turned home Aaron Mooy's cross in the 80th minute to end Brighton's three-match losing streak and condemn Arsenal to their longest winless streak since 1977.

  • Everton sack Silva: Ratcliffe surprised by lack of immediate replacement Everton sack Silva: Ratcliffe surprised by lack of immediate replacement

    Everton great Kevin Ratcliffe has questioned why the club did not follow the sacking of manager Marco Silva by immediately appointing a permanent successor.

    Silva's 18-month spell in charge at Goodison Park came to an end on Thursday, with the former Watford coach sacked following a dismal start to the season.

    The club sit in 18th after 15 matches, with a 5-2 thrashing at the hands of Premier League leaders Liverpool in the Merseyside derby on Wednesday proving the final straw as Everton acted to offload Silva.

    Everton said fan favourite Duncan Ferguson – who has been a first-team coach at the club since 2014 – would take charge for Saturday's match against Chelsea.

    However, Ratcliffe was bemused by Everton not having a new full-time manager in place to come in and begin work.

    "I'm quite surprised, with the way results have been going, that they haven't had somebody to come in straight away," Ratcliffe, Everton's last league title-winning captain in 1986-87, told Sky Sports News.

    "A bit like Tottenham when [Mauricio] Pochettino left and [Jose] Mourinho came in for him.

    "They've had time to assess it and maybe approach somebody and that hasn't been done obviously because they haven't made a decision, or if they have got somebody that they have got in mind there's a stumbling block along the way somewhere."

    David Moyes, who managed Everton between 2002 and 2013 before leaving to replace Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, is the favourite to replace Silva.

    Although Ratcliffe acknowledged his former club must face the reality of a potential relegation scrap, he would have liked to see them be in a position to attract the world's top managers.

    "I think that's the situation we're actually in now. I think we need somebody to come in who knows something about the club to get us out of this mire really, because we are hovering in a relegation battle," he said.

    "If they've got aspirations of being in the top six, they've got to try and get the best that's out there and they're not even linked with them.

    "I know it's hard really to entice somebody in the position – you've got no European football – but at least you should be trying to get the best manager that's out there.

    "I've always said Pochettino and [Atletico Madrid coach Diego] Simeone. But they won't come. I don't think the position that we're in, that it's an attraction to them.

    "But I'd like to see our names linked with them or we've actually talked to them to see what it would take to get them, but that doesn't seem to be the case."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.