Neymar starts against Strasbourg as Keylor Navas makes PSG debut

By Sports Desk September 14, 2019

Neymar will make his first appearance for Paris Saint-Germain this season after being named in the starting line-up for Saturday's game with Strasbourg, while there is also a debut for Keylor Navas.

Forward Neymar has not featured in the 2019-20 campaign at club level amid speculation over his future in the French capital, while he was also been hampered by injury.

However, the 27-year-old played twice for Brazil during the recent international break, starting in the 2-2 friendly draw against Colombia before coming off the bench four days later in the 1-0 loss to Peru.

With Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani both missing and talk of a return to Barcelona over - for now at least - with the transfer window closed, Thomas Tuchel has selected Neymar for the Ligue 1 fixture at Parc des Princes.

There is no spot in the XI for Mauro Icardi, though the striker could still make his first appearance for his new club as he is among the list of substitutes.

Goalkeeper Navas, meanwhile, also comes into the team following his arrival from Real Madrid.

Teenager Marcin Bulka started in PSG's previous outing, a 2-0 triumph at Metz, but is not in the matchday squad, Sergio Rico - signed on a season-long loan from Sevilla - named instead as the back-up option on the bench.

Related items

  • Klopp is the best coach in the world, says former Dortmund star Freund Klopp is the best coach in the world, says former Dortmund star Freund

    Jurgen Klopp is the best football coach in the world because of the connection he establishes with players on an emotional level, according to Steffen Freund.

    Klopp won The Best FIFA Men's Coach award for 2019 after leading Liverpool to Champions League glory and a club-record Premier League points tally of 97 last season.

    The 52-year-old has helped the Reds build up a sizeable early advantage in this season's title race, too, with last Sunday's 1-1 draw at Manchester United ending an eight-game winning streak this term that has seen them move six points clear of City at the top of the table.

    Former Borussia Dortmund star Freund watched Klopp work magic at his old club between 2008 and 2015, winning back-to-back Bundesliga titles, the 2012 DFB-Pokal and reaching the 2013 Champions League final.

    While he admires BVB boss Lucien Favre, who ran Bayern Munich close in last term's title tussle, Freund would always prefer to see Klopp in charge at Signal Iduna Park.

    "That is, of course, the wonderful thing when you compare the coaches: Lucien Favre and Jurgen Klopp," Freund told Omnisport, speaking courtesy of the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour, driven by the new Nissan Juke.

    "Favre is calm and well-balanced, with a good tactical instinct. But I would always prefer Jurgen Klopp, because he is the coach who can also reach players emotionally because he himself is like that, and because he knows that the day has come when he will sweep the players along with special moments, through his emotions.

    "And that's why Jurgen is the best in the world right now."

    Freund thinks the "passion" Klopp has helped to instil within his Liverpool squad will serve them well in the title race - particularly when their form deserts them.

    "If you look at the Premier League so far, everything is playing for Liverpool," said Freund. "Even their own games are won late. It's not always good football, but they have played with a lot of passion. Jurgen Klopp also exemplifies this passion.

    "They also have the necessary luck at the moment, but because I also played in the Premier League for five years and I also worked there as an assistant coach [with Tottenham], there will come a phase where Liverpool will lose.

    "It looks so safe and clear at the moment, but that's not how they play. And then the question is how quickly they get back into the corner. Along with Manchester City, Liverpool are favourites for the title."

  • Guangzhou Evergrande 0-1 (0-3 agg) Urawa Red Diamonds: Koroki confirms final berth for two-time Asian champions Guangzhou Evergrande 0-1 (0-3 agg) Urawa Red Diamonds: Koroki confirms final berth for two-time Asian champions

    Urawa Red Diamonds eased into the AFC Champions League final as Shinzo Koroki's header completed a convincing 3-0 aggregate triumph over Guangzhou Evergrande.

    Scores were level in the 50th minute of Wednesday's semi-final second leg when striker Koroki silenced Tianhe Stadium with an emphatic header from Daiki Hashioka's cross.

    Urawa had taken a two-goal advantage to China and at times rode their luck in retaining the lead established on home soil earlier this month.

    Shusaku Nishikawa made a good early save from Guangzhou star Anderson Talisca, who thumped a shot against the crossbar in the 38th minute.

    The Brazilian threatened again after the restart, going agonisingly close to turning in Paulinho's floated cross to the back post.

    Moments later, Koroki went one better at the other end to send two-time champions Urawa through to face Al-Hilal, 6-5 aggregate victors over Al Sadd, in the two-legged final.

  • LaLiga threatens legal action over new December 18 Clasico date LaLiga threatens legal action over new December 18 Clasico date

    LaLiga has confirmed it is considering legal action in response to the selection of December 18 as the new date for the postponed Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

    The announcement comes in the immediate aftermath of the Royal Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) acceptance of the date proposed by bitter rivals Barca and Madrid, which the Competition Committee approved on Wednesday.

    Civil unrest in Catalonia forced the first Clasico of the 2019-20 season, which was originally set to take place on October 26, to be postponed.

    The clubs at the centre of Spanish football's showpiece fixture reached a quick consensus on a new date but LaLiga, responsible for administering the top two divisions, opposes December 18 as it falls in midweek.

    President Javier Tebas is said to favour December 7, a Saturday, in line with the original plan for the game and LaLiga has now reaffirmed its resistance to the selected date.

    A statement read: "LaLiga does not share the resolution of the Competition Committee to set December 18 - following the agreement reached by Barcelona and Real Madrid, despite LaLiga's refusal - as the date of the previously postponed Clasico.

    "It is studying the documentation recently received from the file referring to this procedure to assess the possible legal actions to be taken against the corresponding institutions and before the public bodies or jurisdictional bodies that it deems appropriate."

    LaLiga further questioned the "briefness of the resolution" and referred to a "lack of reference to legal norms" as potential grounds for legal action.

    Earlier, RFEF said LaLiga had made numerous submissions to the rescheduling process that were deemed to be "not binding".

    "At its meeting today, the Committee has also analysed the latest pleas of the clubs, who stood by their initial proposal to play the game on December 18," RFEF added.

    The match was postponed last week as violent scenes broke out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.