EPL

Pochettino tells Spurs stars to refocus or be dropped

By Sports Desk September 14, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino warned the Tottenham players who wanted off-season moves to refocus or face being dropped.

Spurs endured a close season of uncertainty amid talk over several of their players, with Christian Eriksen, Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen among those spoken about as each entered the final year of their contract.

After all that talk, the Champions League runners-up made a slow start to the season, collecting just five points from their opening four Premier League matches.

Now, Pochettino – whose side host Crystal Palace on Saturday – wants to see his players concentrate, or be prepared to watch from the sidelines.

"I think we are all agreed that Tottenham always have more rumours than other clubs," he told UK media.

"In one month, I think it will start again with the rumours, for sure, because the situation of the squad is going to help those rumours appear. I think we talk a lot.

"Now it is a time to be positive. Victor Wanyama is in my plans. Christian is in my plans. Now they are going to have the same possibility as another player to play.

"Before, I understood that they were in a difficult situation and of course always we try to help them, to help the club, to do their business. But I said to you, it's not easy.

"When it's one player [who wants to leave], OK, but when it's a few players, who start to make it difficult to create a good dynamic, a positive dynamic... but now it's time to be positive.

"Now we need to start to win games. That is our objective. Be refocused, and who is not refocused is going to be out."

Tottenham are reportedly still keen to re-sign Eriksen, who extended his previous deal in 2016.

But Pochettino expects the Denmark midfielder to remain committed to Spurs regardless of whether he extends his contract.

"When you sign the contract, like Christian who signed for five or six years, you need to be committed from day one to the last day," he said.

"He isn't not going to show the commitment because there's only one year left. The difference is whether he wants to extend the contract or not. Different players have different goals."

Related items

  • La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways

    La Liga side Leganes has parted company with Mauricio Pellegrino following a 2-0 loss to Getafe, which continued a winless start to the season.

    Los Pepineros have collected just two points from their opening nine games and are currently seven points adrift of 17th-placed Celta Vigo in the league.

    The former Southampton, Alaves and Valencia manager was appointed at the start of last season and guided Leganes to survival and a respectable 13th in La Liga.

    But results took a turn for the worse at the beginning of this campaign and the club issued a statement on Monday on the Argentine’s future.

    "Leganes and Mauricio Pellegrino have decided mutually to go their separate ways," the statement read.

     "The Argentine coach, who last year led the team to secure its status in the top flight, will not be in charge of the team for next week's game against Mallorca.

    "Reserve team coach Luis Cembranos and his assistant Carlos Martinez will take charge of the team for the next few training sessions."

  • Emery rues 'key chance' squandered by Pepe Emery rues 'key chance' squandered by Pepe

    Unai Emery claimed Nicolas Pepe’s miss from six yards was a key moment as Arsenal’s run of eight games unbeaten in all competitions came to an end at Sheffield United.

    Lys Mousset’s goal at Bramall Lane gave the Blades a 1-0 win as Arsenal’s poor run against the Blades continued, having never won against them in four Premier League attempts.

    Pepe has endured a frustrating start to his career in England having moved from Lille for £72million in the summer with the forward yet to score from open play for the Gunners.  

    The defeat means Arsenal miss an opportunity to go third in the league and Emery believes Pepe’s miss is part of a process with improvement and gaining confidence.

    "The chance for us, for Pepe, was the key," he told reporters.

    "Because if they score the first goal, defensively they’re very strong.

    "Pepe is improving I think, but his way with us is little-by-little getting better, and the next step is to score.

    "Tonight for example, the best chance is one he is usually going to score, but he didn’t take it with efficiency. He is improving and taking confidence, but it is one process."

  • Carragher apologises to Evra for t-shirts worn in support of Luiz Suarez Carragher apologises to Evra for t-shirts worn in support of Luiz Suarez

    Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has apologised to Patrice Evra and admitted the club "got it massively wrong" when they wore t-shirts in support of Luis Suarez following a racism incident between the pair in 2011.

    Suarez received an eight game ban after racially abusing the Frenchman in a match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in 2011.

    In the return match at Old Trafford, Evra refused to shake the Uruguayan’s hand but after the punishment was handed down by the Football Association, Liverpool wore T-shirts in support of Suarez in the warm-up of their Premier League clash with Wigan.  

    "There was no doubt we made a massive mistake," Carragher said on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football, where Evra was also a guest.

    "I’m not saying I wasn’t part of it because as the club we got it wrong and I was vice-captain. I’m not sure who was actually behind it. I think it was the players who were close to Luis in the dressing room who really wanted to support their mate.

    "Maybe I didn’t have the courage as an individual to say ‘I wasn’t wearing it’. I don’t think everyone at Liverpool thought what we were doing was right.

    "Your first reaction is to protect your team-mate. Even when you know they have done something wrong. And that's wrong.

    "I’m not condoning what we did. Apologies, we got it massively wrong."

    Evra also admitted to feeling shocked when he saw the display from Liverpool’s players.

    "When I saw it, I was like this is ridiculous, this is unbelievable. You always have to support your players but this was after the ban," he added.

    "What message do you send to the world? Supporting someone being banned because he used some racist words."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.