Sarri defends decision to leave Can & Mandzukic out of Champions League squad

By Sports Desk September 13, 2019

Maurizio Sarri has defended his decision to leave Emre Can and Mario Mandzukic out of Juventus' Champions League squad.

The pair were surprise omissions from the Italian champions' selection for the group stage of the competition, which begins next week with a trip to Atletico Madrid.

Can admitted to being "furious" and "shocked" at Sarri's selection call and said he was not given an explanation as to why he was overlooked.

Sarri has previously expressed concern about the size of his bloated squad and insisted at Friday's news conference that he made the "necessary" decision in leaving out Can and Mandzukic.

"It wasn't easy or pleasing to make the choices I had to for the Champions League list, but it was necessary," he said.

"I'm sorry because two important players were left out. However, these difficulties demonstrate the strength of our squad."

Asked if he expected the reaction from Can, Sarri said: "It's normal that when a player suffers from a strong and impactful choice that there's an emotional aspect involved. 

"We must give him the opportunity to let out how he is feeling. I'm of the right age to understand these kinds of reactions."

Can played the final five minutes of Germany's 2-0 win against Northern Ireland on Monday, having been an unused sub for the loss to Netherlands, and he may get the nod to start Juve's trip to Fiorentina on Saturday.

Juventus are back in action four days later when travelling to Atletico in the Champions League and Sarri is ready to make full use of his big squad.

"At this moment our attention must be on the league," he said. "Then we will think about the cup. 

"We are in a moment in which the team must take its own identity. We must fight the difficulty that is having many players who have played very little in the last period."

Among those pushing for inclusion is midfielder Aaron Ramsey, who has not featured in a competitive game since arriving from Arsenal during the close season because of a muscle injury.

"A few weeks ago he was far behind his team-mates from the physical point of view," Sarri said. 

"In the last 10 days I have seen progress in training. He is not yet at his best but if his evolution continues he can soon return to a high level."

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed David de Gea and Paul Pogba will miss Manchester United's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.
  • Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback

    Everton midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin is facing a further three months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his right thigh, the Premier League club have announced.

    The 24-year-old sustained a tendon injury in August and has featured just twice for Everton since joining from Bundesliga club Mainz.

    Gbamin resumed light training earlier this month but suffered a setback on his return from injury and was operated on in France on Tuesday.

    A statement on Everton's official website read: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Jean-Philippe Gbamin has undergone surgery on a tendon injury in his right quadriceps muscle, which will keep the midfielder out of action for around three months."

    Gbamin, signed as a reported £25million replacement for Idrissa Gueye, will continue his rehabilitation with Everton's medical staff at the Finch Farm training base.

    Marco Silva's side are 18th in the Premier League following just two wins in their opening eight matches.

  • Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent

    Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Mohamed Elneny from Arsenal during the transfer window, according to the midfielder's agent.

    Elneny swapped Arsenal for Besiktas on a season-long loan in August after falling down the midfield pecking order at Emirates Stadium.

    The Egypt international was also said to be wanted by other clubs, while reports in Italy this week suggested AC Milan may make an approach in the January window.

    "He received a lot of offers last summer, led by Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia, but Besiktas managed to settle the deal with Arsenal," agent Alan Nazmy told Egyptian TV channel Time Sport.

    "Milan and Roma previously tried to sign the player during the last winter transfer window, but the negotiations didn't work then, and he received more than one offer as well."

    Asked about fresh rumoured interest from Milan, Nazmy said: "I can't talk about it."

    Elneny made 89 appearances for Arsenal in all competitions after joining from Swiss side FC Basel in 2016, including 17 outings last season.

    Arsenal boss Unai Emery allowed the 27-year-old to leave following the arrival of Dani Ceballos and emergence of academy product Joe Willock, but the door has not been closed on a return next year.

    "Emery didn't ask for his departure from Arsenal because of his performance," Nazmy said. "He demanded that [Elneny] took a chance to develop his performance and return again.

    "It is possible for him to play with Arsenal again. It still remains a strong possibility."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.