EPL

Van der Sar focused on Ajax amid continued Manchester United speculation

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Ajax chief executive officer Edwin van der Sar has rejected speculation linking him with a return to Manchester United.

The former United goalkeeper is reportedly a target for the Premier League club as they seek to appoint their first sporting director.

United have struggled in the transfer market since the 2013 retirement of managerial great Alex Ferguson, under whom Van der Sar played.

Van der Sar has helped mastermind stunning success for Ajax, who won the domestic double last term as well as reaching the Champions League semi-finals.

But a move back to the Premier League does not appear to be on the cards for the 48-year-old, who was asked about the links to United after playing in Vincent Kompany's Manchester City testimonial on Wednesday.

"No, I'm focused on my job as chief executive at Ajax," Van der Sar told reporters.

"We had a fantastic year in Europe last year, also won the league in Holland.

"We want Ajax at a higher European level and making sure we get back to the elite. That's what we're working on.

"I'm enjoying my time at Ajax. We touched the top level last year and we have to make sure we have the best opportunity to stay there."

United have only won one of their opening four Premier League matches this season following a 1-1 draw at Southampton prior to the international break.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United welcome unbeaten Leicester City to Old Trafford on Saturday.

Related items

  • Liverpool must be relentless in trophy chase – Adrian Liverpool must be relentless in trophy chase – Adrian

    Liverpool's stunning start to the season will count for nothing if they do not maintain their high standards, Adrian has warned.

    The Spaniard continued to deputise for the injured Alisson as the Reds claimed a 2-1 win at Chelsea on Sunday, putting them five points clear at the Premier League summit.

    But Adrian urged his side to keep pushing for more, knowing reigning champions Manchester City are ready to pounce on any slip-ups.

    "We keep fighting and we keep that momentum going and keep it in a positive way, of course," the goalkeeper told the club's official website.

    "We have done really well but we've done nothing yet so we need to keep going and keep fighting for the next one. We are on a good run in the Premier League with good energy and intensity.

    "In the first half [against Chelsea] we did really well and I think we deserved the three points. Obviously they pushed in the second half but we defended really well."

    While Jurgen Klopp's side boast a 100 per cent record in the top flight, the defence of their Champions League crown started with a 2-0 defeat at Napoli.

    Adrian conceded it was a tough loss to take but he took comfort in their response at Stamford Bridge, where first-half goals from Trent Alexander-Arnold and Roberto Firmino were enough to get the job done.

    "The other night in the Champions League against Napoli we lost," he said. "I don't think we deserved to have that result and it was really hard for us, but we recovered well. We are back in the Premier League and back to winning.

    "It's always important to have a good connection between all of the players, also the fans, the crowd, the manager, the staff – everyone.

    "We are like a rock now and we are together. We are enjoying this moment but we need to keep looking forward for more points."

  • Bernardo Silva tweet condemned by Kick It Out Bernardo Silva tweet condemned by Kick It Out

    Kick It Out has condemned a tweet sent by Bernardo Silva to Manchester City team-mate Benjamin Mendy, calling for retrospective action to be taken against the Portugal international.

    Bernardo Silva tweeted a photo of Mendy as a child alongside a dated image from Spanish confectionary 'Conguitos' that has been criticised for its racist connotations, with the caption: "Guess who?".

    Mendy did not appear to take offence, replying with laughing emojis and a message saying: "1-0 for you will see", but other Twitter users were quick to point out the racist implications of Bernardo Silva's post.

    The attacking midfielder deleted the entry before commenting: "Can't even joke with a friend these days…You guys…"

    The Football Association (FA) has confirmed it will investigate the matter and Kick It Out, football's equality and inclusion organisation, wants to see punishment meted out. 

    "We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva, which has since been deleted. Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

    "The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education – which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

    The tweet from Bernardo Silva came less than 24 hours after he scored a hat-trick in City's 8-0 victory over Watford, which saw Mendy make his first Premier League start since April.

  • Heskey doubts Liverpool have depth to dethrone Manchester City Heskey doubts Liverpool have depth to dethrone Manchester City

    Emile Heskey believes shallow depth in attack could prove Liverpool's undoing in their bid to beat Manchester City to the Premier League title.

    The Reds have won each of their first six matches of the new season to race into a five-point lead at the top of the table.

    City, though, fired a warning over the weekend with an extraordinary 8-0 demolition of Watford, the club's biggest ever top-flight victory attained even as Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus watched from the bench.

    Liverpool edged Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday but Heskey, their former striker, fears the run of results could come to a halt if one of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino or Sadio Mane is forced out of the starting XI.

    The trio have already combined for 11 league goals in the club's quest to make amends for last season's domestic heartbreak.

    "It's a tall order because at this moment in time City have the best squad in terms of depth," Heskey told Omnisport.

    "If you take certain players out of City they've always got someone who can step in and do a specific job, the way the manager wants him to do it.

    "Liverpool, if you take Salah, Mane or Firmino out, it's not quite the same, whereas City have a better blend."

    Divock Origi, the only other established striker in Jurgen Klopp's squad, remains unavailable due to an ankle injury, while Georginio Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson and James Milner are yet to provide any Premier League goals from deeper positions.

    Heskey added: "I think City have a better midfield. I'm not saying Liverpool's midfield is bad, by the way, I'm just saying they have a better blend and they probably give you more goals from midfield.

    "But if [Liverpool] keep the pressure on like they are doing, you never know."

    Ex-England international Heskey spent four and a half seasons at Anfield, winning the FA Cup, UEFA Cup and EFL Cup under Gerard Houllier.

    The pair later reunited at Aston Villa and while success proved far more elusive, the Leicester City product regards the Frenchman as one of his most astute bosses.

    "I had nothing but good experiences with him. One of the best," Heskey said, rejecting former Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland's description of Houllier as a "really horrendous" manager.

    "He helped me understand and really learn football. Really meticulous in the finer details of things and living for football. I've got nothing bad to say about Gerard.

    "When people ask me about the best manager I had, I always say two - Martin O'Neill and Gerard Houllier."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.