EPL

Sissoko stronger than ever after Pochettino 'hurt' him

By Sports Desk September 07, 2019

Moussa Sissoko claims he never considered quitting Tottenham despite feeling "hurt" by team selections by Mauricio Pochettino that affected his international career.

The midfielder is a key member of Pochettino's Spurs side and has started all four of Tottenham's Premier League matches in 2019-20, but two years ago it was a different story for Sissoko.

While preparing for France's Euro 2020 qualifier with Albania, the 30-year-old reflected on a 2017-18 campaign in which he started just 15 league games for Spurs and missed out on a place in Didier Deschamps' World Cup-winning Les Bleus squad.

"Not being at the 2018 World Cup was of course a disappointment, but not an end in itself," Sissoko told Le Parisien.

"I was aware of having a complicated year with my Tottenham club. The coach's choices hurt me, but it's the law of football. The only thing to do was to redouble efforts. To abandon everything would have been a descent into hell.

"I did not want to stay on a failure. I never thought of leaving Tottenham, it gave me even more the desire to do well.

"I have a winning mind, it has been like that throughout my career. I do not make any noise, I do not come in the media to say that I had to play."

Sissoko bounced back in 2018-19, starting 27 league games and playing a vital role in Spurs' run to the Champions League final, where they lost to Liverpool.

He has found his home in Tottenham's midfield this season as one of two deep-lying players alongside Harry Winks, but he admitted he needed time to adapt to Pochettino's desired style of play.

"Perhaps I have never felt as strong as today," said Sissoko.

"I am comfortable, fulfilled, confident. It is often said that the best form of a player is between 28 and 30 years old. I did not believe it before, but I have certainly had my best season since playing football. I must continue to ride this wave.

"Last season, I played 95 per cent of the games as an axial midfielder. This is where I have the most success, where I express myself best.

"I have assimilated our possession game. It took time, but I like it there a lot."

Related items

  • La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways

    La Liga side Leganes has parted company with Mauricio Pellegrino following a 2-0 loss to Getafe, which continued a winless start to the season.

    Los Pepineros have collected just two points from their opening nine games and are currently seven points adrift of 17th-placed Celta Vigo in the league.

    The former Southampton, Alaves and Valencia manager was appointed at the start of last season and guided Leganes to survival and a respectable 13th in La Liga.

    But results took a turn for the worse at the beginning of this campaign and the club issued a statement on Monday on the Argentine’s future.

    "Leganes and Mauricio Pellegrino have decided mutually to go their separate ways," the statement read.

     "The Argentine coach, who last year led the team to secure its status in the top flight, will not be in charge of the team for next week's game against Mallorca.

    "Reserve team coach Luis Cembranos and his assistant Carlos Martinez will take charge of the team for the next few training sessions."

  • RFEF postpones decision on new date for El Clasico RFEF postpones decision on new date for El Clasico

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has been unable to make a final decision on a new date for the postponed Clasico clash originally set for October 26 due to new input from LaLiga.

    RFEF confirmed the postponement of the match last Friday following political unrest in Catalonia.

    Violent scenes have broken out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence last Monday.

    A rally in Barcelona has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, ultimately resulting in El Clasico's postponement for security reasons.

    RFEF left Barca and Madrid to agree a date between themselves and they mutually accepted to reschedule the match for December 18, but that now looks unlikely.

    LaLiga is reported to have insisted on the game being played on December 4 and RFEF has passed its comments on to the clubs, who have been given until 20:00CET Tuesday to respond.

    RFEF's statement read: "The Competition Committee of the Royal Spanish Football Federation will return to Barcelona and Real Madrid tomorrow [Tuesday] after receiving new statements from the National Professional Football League [LaLiga] on the date of the Clasico [originally] to be played on October 26 and was postponed due to exceptional circumstances.

    "The clubs will have a deadline to answer by 20:00 on Tuesday, and the Competition Committee must meet again to assess their responses.

    "During the day, the Competition Committee has analysed the proposals of both clubs, which it invited to agree to a day and who have agreed to play the postponed match on December 18.

    "It [the Competition Committee] has also analysed the various reports sent by the National Professional Football League during these days.

    "In addition, the Committee requested a report from the RFEF Competition Area, which has been sent to them in a timely manner."

  • Ballon d'Or: Rapinoe, Bronze and Morgan lead women's nominations Ballon d'Or: Rapinoe, Bronze and Morgan lead women's nominations

    Megan Rapinoe, Lucy Bronze and Alex Morgan lead the nominees for the 2019 Ballon d'Or Femenin in the award's second year.

    Publication France Football revealed their 20-woman shortlist on Monday, acknowledging the successes of Lyon and United States in particular.

    Women's Champions League winners Lyon have six players in the running, including Bronze and 2018 winner Ada Hegerberg, though the latter is not thought to be among the favourites given her World Cup absence.

    United States lifted the trophy in France and four of their squad have been nominated, with Tobin Heath, Rose Lavelle, Morgan and Rapinoe flying the USA flag.

    Rapinoe is regarded by many as the favourite, however, with the Reign FC star inspirational in the World Cup campaign, finishing joint top-scorer on six with Ellen White and Morgan, while she also added three assists.

    She won the Golden Boot and Golden Ball in France, before also taking home The Best FIFA Women's Player award, edging out Morgan. Bronze came third.

    Full list of nominees:

    Lucy Bronze (Lyon), Ellen White (Manchester City), Sam Kerr (Chicago Red Stars), Nilla Fischer (Wolfsburg), Amandine Henry (Lyon), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal), Dzenifer Marozsan (Lyon), Pernille Harder (Wolfsburg), Sarah Bouhaddi (Lyon), Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC), Lieke Martens (Barcelona), Sari van Veenendal (Atletico Madrid), Wendie Renard (Lyon), Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit), Marta (Orlando Pride), Ada Hegerberg (Lyon), Kosovare Asllani, Sofia Jakobsson (both CD Tacon/Real Madrid), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns).

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.