EPL

David Luiz: Arsenal defenders can't hide from criticism

By Sports Desk September 02, 2019

David Luiz conceded Arsenal's defenders have to take responsibility for their errors as he revealed he played through pain during the north London derby.

The Gunners clawed their way back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Tottenham on Sunday, with Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang both on target.

Granit Xhaka was particularly culpable for Spurs' second, sending Harry Kane to the spot after a wild challenge on Son Heung-min, but David Luiz acknowledged the need for an under-fire back four to address their faults.

Unai Emery's side have conceded five goals in two games, with the former Chelsea defender himself shouldering blame for giving away a penalty in last month's 3-1 loss to Liverpool.

The 32-year-old accepts criticism will come his way if clean sheets prove elusive.

"I think it's normal, in my all my career it has been like that, especially when you are a defender," David Luiz told Sky Sports.

"Strikers never lose games unless they miss a penalty in the last minute. This is football.

"The defenders have to take responsibility and take this in a good way, in a humble way, to understand when we make a mistake and say that.

"I'm going to try to do my best, always. I think my game until the penalty at Liverpool was very good, especially for my first big game for Arsenal."

Sunday's derby marked David Luiz's second Emirates Stadium appearance and third in the Premier League since a close-season switch from Chelsea and the centre-back suggested he carried a knock throughout the end-to-end contest.

"Today, even with pain, I played the whole game and tried to show this spirit until the very end," he said.

"I am trying to improve with the team every single day and be mature to understand this kind of moment."

Related items

  • England sell out Wembley for women's friendly against Germany England sell out Wembley for women's friendly against Germany

    England have sold out Wembley for the first time for a women's match ahead of next month's friendly against Germany, the Football Association (FA) has announced.

    A capacity crowd of 90,000 on November 9 would top the record attendance for a women's match in the United Kingdom, set at the 2012 Olympics as 80,203 spectators watched the United States defeat Japan to claim the gold medal at Wembley.

    Meanwhile, the record attendance for a Lionesses home fixture stands at 45,619 for the previous meeting between England and Germany at the same venue in 2014.

    England played in front of a crowd of 29,238 at the Riverside Stadium earlier this month - a record for a Lionesses match outside of Wembley - in their first game since reaching the Women's World Cup semi-finals.

    The upcoming fixture is set to fall just short of the long-standing official record for a women's match - 90,125 watched the 1999 World Cup final between United States and China at the Rose Bowl in California.

    Sue Campbell, FA director of women's football, said: "This is a magnificent show of support for the squad and staff after a tremendous year of progress for the England team.

    "My thanks go to everyone who has bought a ticket as we never take such support for granted.

    "We started the year with success at the SheBelieves Cup, had a wonderful World Cup including securing Olympic qualification and it is only fitting that we get to end 2019 on a high - and can also say our own thank you to those who have backed us all the way.

    "What will make it even more special is to see everyone who has bought a ticket turn up on the day to help smash the all-time record."

  • BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool BREAKING NEWS: De Gea & Pogba out of Man United v Liverpool
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed David de Gea and Paul Pogba will miss Manchester United's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.
  • Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback Everton midfielder Gbamin out for three more months after injury setback

    Everton midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin is facing a further three months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his right thigh, the Premier League club have announced.

    The 24-year-old sustained a tendon injury in August and has featured just twice for Everton since joining from Bundesliga club Mainz.

    Gbamin resumed light training earlier this month but suffered a setback on his return from injury and was operated on in France on Tuesday.

    A statement on Everton's official website read: "Everton Football Club can confirm that Jean-Philippe Gbamin has undergone surgery on a tendon injury in his right quadriceps muscle, which will keep the midfielder out of action for around three months."

    Gbamin, signed as a reported £25million replacement for Idrissa Gueye, will continue his rehabilitation with Everton's medical staff at the Finch Farm training base.

    Marco Silva's side are 18th in the Premier League following just two wins in their opening eight matches.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.