Spain postpone Moreno news conference out of respect for Luis Enrique

By Sports Desk August 30, 2019

Spain have postponed a Robert Moreno news conference following the death of Luis Enrique's daughter Xana.

La Roja's former head coach announced nine-year-old Xana had passed away on Thursday following a five-month battle with bone cancer.

The ex-Barcelona boss stepped down from his national team post in June.

Moreno was installed as his replacement and had been due to meet the media on Friday to discuss his squad selection for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Romania and Faroe Islands. 

That has now been delayed in a sign of "love and respect" for Luis Enrique and his family, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced.

The RFEF will proceed with releasing Moreno's squad for September's two matches as scheduled on Friday.

Related items

  • Alexander-Arnold credits Klopp with positively influencing life beyond football Alexander-Arnold credits Klopp with positively influencing life beyond football

    Trent Alexander-Arnold believes Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp's unwavering belief has helped shape his life for the better.

    Klopp extended his contract with the Premier League leaders on Friday, agreeing a deal that keeps him at the club until 2024.

    The German arrived at Anfield in October 2015 and handed a teenage Alexander-Arnold his professional debut 12 months later, in an EFL Cup tie against Tottenham.

    The Merseysider has gone on to win the Champions League and cement a regular starting berth at right-back.

    "He is someone who has really made me who I am today," Alexander-Arnold told Spanish newspaper AS when asked about Klopp.

    "Someone who has pushed me to get better every day, someone who has given me so many opportunities that I will never be able to repay all that confidence. He has helped me in every way."

    Alexander-Arnold's early exposure to first-team football helped him win a place in Gareth Southgate's England squad for the 2018 World Cup.

    The 21-year-old appears certain to be involved at Euro 2020 after appearing in three qualifiers, including two in November.

    He was on the bench when the Three Lions encountered racist abuse during their infamous away game against Bulgaria, which the visitors won 6-0.

    "It was something that, personally, I had never faced before, nor my team-mates, although they told us what could happen," Alexander-Arnold said of the ugly scenes in Sofia.

    "The worst happened before the break, when the match stopped. In the changing room we decided to go out and play football and win, and make our country proud of us. It's disappointing, something that shouldn't happen in football these days."

    Now an emerging leader in a Liverpool side charging towards a first Premier League title, Alexander-Arnold said wearing the armband was a definite personal ambition.

    "Yes, of course," he said. "Whether it comes true or not, it is not really my decision. I don't choose who the captain is. But yes, I would love to captain Liverpool."

  • Charlton Athletic 2-2 Hull City: Dramatic Phillips own goal hands Tigers point Charlton Athletic 2-2 Hull City: Dramatic Phillips own goal hands Tigers point

    Hull City snatched a 2-2 draw at Charlton Athletic on Friday thanks to an own goal from goalkeeper Dillon Phillips in the final seconds of the game.

    Darren Pratley's header had given Lee Bowyer's side a half-time lead before Jarrod Bowen equalised from close range two minutes after the restart.

    Charlton restored their advantage when Naby Sarr tapped in Jonathan Leko's cross, which looked to have been enough to secure all three points.

    However, Phillips parried Keane Lewis-Potter's header onto the right post and the ball bounced in off the keeper's head in the sixth minute of injury time, with what proved to be the final act of the match.

    Hull move above Millwall on goal difference into 13th in the Championship, six points clear of Charlton in 17th.

  • FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup

    Brazil, Colombia and Japan will rival Australia and New Zealand for the right to host the 2023 Women's World Cup.

    A joint bid from Football Federation Australia (FFA) and New Zealand Football (NZF) for the first 32-team edition of the competition was announced in Melbourne earlier on Friday.

    FIFA has now confirmed that the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), Colombian Football Federation (FCF) and Japan Football Association (JFA) all submitted bids prior to the December 13 deadline.

    A proposed joint bid from North and South Korea was not included in the final shortlist, with the Korea Football Association (KFA) having withdrawn their application, citing diplomatic tension between the two countries.

    An assessment of the bids will now follow, which includes inspection visits to each member association, likely in January and February of next year.

    The eligible bids will then be presented to the FIFA Council, which will select the host at a meeting in Addis Ababa in June 2020.

    "France 2019 was certainly a watershed moment for women's football, and now it is FIFA's responsibility to take concrete measures to keep fostering the game's incredible growth," said FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

    "With the FIFA Women's World Cup generating an unprecedented interest across member associations, we are ensuring that the process to select the hosts is seamless, objective, ethical and transparent.

    "By the time the FIFA Council announces the hosts, there should be no doubt whatsoever as to why that choice was made."

    The United States won the 2019 World Cup, beating Netherlands 2-0 in the final in Lyon to defend the trophy they claimed in 2015.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.