Barcelona stepped up in absence of Messi and Suarez, says two-goal Griezmann

By Sports Desk August 25, 2019

Antoine Griezmann felt Barcelona stepped up in the absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez to get their first LaLiga win of the season against Real Betis on Sunday.

The €120million signing from Atletico Madrid got off the mark for his new club in the 41st minute to cancel out Nabil Fekir's opener, before adding a wonderful second to put Ernesto Valverde's side ahead five minutes after the interval.

The hosts went on to win 5-2 and banish the disappointment of last week's opening defeat to Athletic Bilbao, and Griezmann, while admitting there is still plenty of work to be done, says he was impressed by how Barca coped without injured duo Messi and Suarez.

"We have improved a lot and we still have details to improve, although this is going in the right direction," he told Movistar.

"In the end, when many important people are missing, everyone takes a step forward and today it has been like that.

"After a defeat there are many comments and we had to work hard this week and in the end we played a great game. We have enjoyed it."

Carles Perez, Jordi Alba and Arutro Vidal were also on target for Barca before Loren Moron added a superb consolation late on for the visitors.

Related items

  • Manchester City's Bernardo Silva handed one-match ban by FA Manchester City's Bernardo Silva handed one-match ban by FA

    Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has been given a one-match suspension as punishment for a racially insensitive tweet posted in September, the Football Association (FA) has confirmed.

    The FA charged Silva at the start of October and the Portugal international has admitted a breach of the organisation's Rule E3.

    Silva, 25, is set to miss City's home Premier League game against Chelsea after the international break, while he has also been fined £50,000 and must complete face-to-face education.

    The former Monaco player tweeted – and subsequently deleted – a photo of team-mate Benjamin Mendy as a youngster and a dated image from Spanish confectionary brand Conguitos that has been criticised for its racist connotations.

    A statement issued by the FA read: The Manchester City midfielder's social media activity on September 22, 2019 breached FA Rule E3(1), as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an "Aggravated Breach", which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included reference, whether expressed or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin."

    As part of Silva's submission to the FA following his charge, Mendy wrote a letter backing his close friend and insisting no offence had been taken.

    Raheem Sterling also backed his team-mate publicly, although two lengthy and impassioned defences from manager Pep Guardiola in the aftermath appeared to inflame the matter.

    In the Independent Regulatory Commission's written reasons provided to the FA, Silva's "exemplary previous good character" was acknowledged, along with an acceptance that "the player did not himself intend the post to be insulting or in any way racist", given he had "grown up in a country where both the brand and the character were familiar and considered inoffensive".

    They added: "However, this was not a private jocular communication between two friends, The post was on a social media platform exposed to the 600,000 followers of a high-profile and well-respected professional footballer.

    "It was quickly observed and reported upon by elements of the media. To his credit, the player removed the tweet from his account within a period of some 45 minutes or so."

    Silva was voted City's player of the season in 2018-19 as they completed an unprecedented domestic treble, before starring in Portugal's triumph at the inaugural Nations League Finals.

    He scored his fifth Premier League goal of the current campaign during last Sunday's 3-1 defeat to leaders Liverpool at Anfield.

  • Bayern 'going very well' under Flick amid Guardiola talk, says Neuer Bayern 'going very well' under Flick amid Guardiola talk, says Neuer

    Manuel Neuer would not be drawn on a potential reunion with Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich, saying only that "things are going very well" under Hansi Flick.

    Bayern are without a permanent head coach following Niko Kovac's sacking, with former assistant Flick in caretaker charge for impressive wins over Olympiacos and Borussia Dortmund.

    Manchester City manager Guardiola, Bayern coach from 2013 to 2016, could potentially make an incredible return, according to Sport Bild.

    Thomas Tuchel, at Paris Saint-Germain, and Erik ten Hag, at Ajax, have each reiterated their commitment to their current clubs, while the report claims Guardiola "does not seem happy" at City, where he has won back-to-back Premier League titles.

    The seemingly unlikely prospect of Guardiola linking up with Bayern again was put to goalkeeper Neuer while on international duty with Germany.

    The Bayern stalwart preferred to focus on Flick's fine start, though, saying: "Of course, I can't comment on the rumours.

    "We are now here with the national team, I hear [about Guardiola] for the first time. You will see what happens and how those responsible decide.

    "At the moment, things are going very well. In the last six days, Hansi Flick has invested everything with his coaching team. We have been very successful twice.

    "The people in charge will take a stand [by appointing Guardiola instead] if they want to."

    Guardiola won the Bundesliga title in each of his three seasons with Bayern but, having twice triumphed in Europe at Barcelona, failed to deliver the Champions League.

    Bayern had been European champions when he arrived in Munich in 2013, replacing Jupp Heynckes.

    Neuer was speaking ahead of Germany's Euro 2020 qualifying double-header against Belarus and Northern Ireland, where they will hope to secure their place in next year's finals.

    Various scenarios could see Germany through after the first match but Neuer said: "Of course, we want to win the home games and get six points. That's our clear goal."

  • Barcelona v Real Madrid: LaLiga confirms December 18 Clasico Barcelona v Real Madrid: LaLiga confirms December 18 Clasico

    Barcelona will host Real Madrid on December 18 in the first Clasico of the 2019-20 campaign after LaLiga approved the clubs' preferred date for the match.

    Barca had been due to host their bitter rivals on October 26, only for the game to be postponed amid concerns over civil and political unrest in Catalonia.

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) accepted a joint request from the clubs to reschedule for December 18.

    LaLiga's preference was December 7, so it could stage its showpiece fixture on a Saturday, and confirmed it would assess the possibility of legal action following RFEF's announcement.

    However, a tweet from the organisation on Wednesday confirmed a December 18 Clasico with a kick-off time of 20:00 CET.

    Barcelona and Real Madrid are level on 25 points at the top of LaLiga after 12 matches this season, with the Blaugrana leading on goal difference.

    Atletico Madrid are a point further back in third but have played a game more as a result of the Clasico postponement.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.