Giampaolo demands attacking improvement after losing AC Milan start

By Sports Desk August 25, 2019

Marco Giampaolo demanded an attacking improvement from AC Milan after a 1-0 defeat at Udinese in his first Serie A game in charge of the team.

Rodrigo Becao scored on his Serie A debut, with Giampaolo not selecting any of the Rossoneri's new signings in his XI on Sunday.

Giampaolo sent on new faces Ismael Bennacer and Rafael Leao from the bench, but Milan could not break down Igor Tudor's side at the Dacia Arena.

The former Sampdoria coach saw his side fail to record a single shot on target and he was in no doubt why Milan fell to defeat, despite seeking positives from the performance.

"The match speaks for itself and it's not good when AC Milan lose," Giampaolo told Milan TV. "I picked up on many things today, beyond that of just the result.

"The team tried to do what I asked of them, looking to impose themselves and take the game to the opposition. We must work on our offensive play because we struggled in that department.

"It's not just the lads’ responsibility but more a matter of specific characteristics. I must go beyond the result in understanding how we can be at our best. Maybe I asked them certain things but they have different characteristics.

"Up until now, the lads have shown me great willingness. I must now find the best solution according to the characteristics of certain matches."

Milan were denied a penalty when Alessio Romagnoli's header hit Samir on the arm, as no spot-kick was awarded following a VAR check.

"We're annoyed by the result, but my evaluations wouldn't be different if we'd have equalised from the penalty spot," Giampaolo added.

"I must make some serious analysis, looking to understand where the team must improve and what works well. I must be objective. It may be that they award the penalty for an equaliser but this wouldn't lead me to any different evaluations.

"When you lose, it's only right for there to be controversial issues, but we must focus on ourselves - looking to play better football than we did today and without losing sight of being protagonists. We'll only achieve this through hard work."

Related items

  • Inter v Ludogorets to be played behind closed doors at San Siro Inter v Ludogorets to be played behind closed doors at San Siro

    UEFA has announced Inter and Ludogorets will meet behind closed doors at San Siro in the second leg of their Europa League tie on Thursday.

    The decision has been taken by the governing body due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak in Italy. Two people have died in the country while reports say dozens more have tested positive.

    Bulgarian champions Ludogorets had demanded assurances that it was safe to travel to Milan in a statement released on Sunday, calling on UEFA to provide swift clarification.

    Inter, who won the first meeting 2-0 thanks to goals from Christian Eriksen and Romelu Lukaku, will stage the return fixture without any fans present inside the famous venue.

    "Earlier in the day, the Milan club sent a letter to Ludogorets, announcing that the city's health authorities allowed the match to be held without fans," a statement on Ludogorets' website read.

    "The European headquarters informs Ludogorets that it will demand the decision of the Milan medical authorities. UEFA also announces that it is monitoring the situation in Northern Italy and will react immediately if changed.

    It was confirmed by Inter in a statement on Monday that no spectators will be present for the encounter.

    Inter's clash with Sampdoria was one of four Serie A fixtures to be postponed on Sunday, while there are doubts over whether their upcoming trip to Juventus will go ahead.

    Italy prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said all of the top-tier Italian games, including the blockbuster showdown in Turin, could be called off due to the virus, which originated in China.

  • Juventus have thought about Guardiola, says Agnelli Juventus have thought about Guardiola, says Agnelli

    Juventus president Andrea Agnelli says the Italian champions have given thought to one day hiring Pep Guardiola, but feels it would be difficult for them to land the Manchester City boss.

    Agnelli explained Juventus have contemplated the prospect of the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich head coach moving to Italy, while stressing a move now would be difficult due to his apparent happiness in the Premier League.

    Juve in turn are thrilled with their progress under Maurizio Sarri, who joined them from Chelsea at the start of the season.

    "It is heresy to say that you don't think of Guardiola, but you have to evaluate the moment you are in, like any professional," Agnelli said to Radio24 about the City boss, who has re-emphasised his commitment to the English club despite their two-year Champions League ban, which they intend to appeal.

    "If someone is happy where he is, it is difficult to move.

    "We are very happy with Sarri. Things are set up for three years, the strength of his ideas will come with their continuation in time, and this is the priority.

    "The first half of the season has been excellent, we are first in the standings and we passed the Champions League group stage in first.

    "I will evaluate the season at the end, thinking that I can win in February is foolish, but being first today is a good starting point."

    Agnelli was asked if he was tempted to instead land former coach Antonio Conte, who ultimately joined Inter, when he was replacing Massimiliano Allegri.

    "We wanted Maurizio Sarri and we took Sarri," said Agnelli. "Conte is a symbol of Juventus; he has won multiple Scudetti and the Champions League.

    "Conte is Juventus from this point of view. We have a peaceful relationship with him, but we are professional.

    "That he took on the challenge of bringing ambitious Inter back to the winners' circle, rubbing heads with [Inter chairman] Steven Zhang, who is a person I know and respect, is something that fascinates me."

  • 'Public health the priority' for Juve amid doubts over scheduled Inter clash 'Public health the priority' for Juve amid doubts over scheduled Inter clash

    Juventus president Andrea Agnelli made clear public health comes first amid the possibility of further fixtures being postponed in Serie A – even if that means his club taking on Inter behind closed doors.

    Following the recent outbreak of the coronavirus in Italy, the decision was taken to call off four of the top-flight games scheduled to take place on Sunday, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria.

    Italy prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said all of Serie A's week 26 fixtures could yet be postponed, with the country taking preventative measures following the death of two people, as well as dozens more reportedly testing positive for the virus.

    Table-topping Juve – who played on Saturday, triumphing 2-1 at SPAL – are due to host third-place Inter on Sunday, though a media report has suggested the game could go ahead but without fans present at the Allianz Stadium.

    Agnelli admitted during an appearance on Radio 24 that such a situation would not be ideal, but understands the bigger picture considering the situation.

    "At this moment, the priority for the country is the protection of public health," he said.

    "Starting from this, there is a dialogue with those who have to decide, but we will accept the decisions that are taken.

    "The interruption of the sports system is difficult; the schedule is clogged. Starting the championship late – and not playing in the Christmas break – means that if you miss a game it becomes difficult to recover."

    On the prospect of playing Inter without supporters present, or possibly even at an alternative venue, he added: "Organising a match like Juve-Inter in a different stadium is extremely complicated.

    "I'm sorry about the show itself because the championship is affected because of a historic game of football. But we must preserve the priority: public health."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.