EPL

Solskjaer: Pogba 'stronger' after racial abuse

By Sports Desk August 23, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised Paul Pogba's character and expressed disbelief over the racism directed at the Manchester United midfielder on social media.

World Cup winner Pogba was the subject of discriminatory posts online after failing to convert a penalty in the 1-1 draw at Wolves on Monday.

United condemned the abuse and pledged to take the "strongest course of action available" ahead of a meeting between the club, Twitter and anti-discriminatory body Kick It Out.

Pogba's team-mates have spoken out in support of the France international in recent days while advocating for stricter identification protocols for social media users.

"Paul's fine, Paul's a strong character and it makes him stronger," Solskjaer said, speaking ahead of Saturday's match against Crystal Palace.

"When you speak to him he's fine and I just cannot be believe we're still sitting here in 2019 talking about these instances.

"Social media is a place where people can hide behind fake identifies. It's not down to me to change it but there are so many Ole Gunnar Solskjaers on Twitter, and I know it's not me.

"We've got to do something about it and the authorities have got to do something about it.

"You feel sorry for [the social media trolls], they must have problems themselves."

Solskjaer added: "We need to protect individuals and protect people. When there are death threats and racism, it's serious allegations, serious incidents.

"Sometimes you get annoyed, what can we do about it as Manchester United? We're not going to ban our players from using social media. We have to spread the good word instead.

"We can use it to spread good and have to stop those incidents."

Pogba's role as penalty taker at Molineux raised eyebrows, as Marcus Rashford had successfully converted a spot-kick in the 4-0 win over Chelsea on the opening weekend.

Solskjaer confirmed the pair would continue to share the responsibility but denied the players were left to their own devices when making decisions.

"It's not that I've left it to the players, we've nominated two and throughout the season you'll have games where they are not playing and it's good to know they're there and trusted to take penalties," the Red Devils boss said.

"It's not like anarchy and they can do whatever they want, we have a few, last year we had Marcus, Jesse [Lingard] and Paul.

"It's not left to them."

Related items

  • FA contact Man City in relation to Bernardo Silva tweet FA contact Man City in relation to Bernardo Silva tweet

    The Football Association (FA) has written to Manchester City to ask the club for their observations following a social media post by Bernardo Silva.

    Silva tweeted a photo of City team-mate Benjamin Mendy as a child alongside a dated image from Spanish confectionary 'Conguitos' that has been criticised for its racist connotations, with the caption: "Guess who?".

    Mendy did not appear to take offence, replying with laughing emojis and a message saying: "1-0 for you will see".

    However, other Twitter users were quick to point out the racist implications of the post, which was shared less than 24 hours after Silva scored a hat-trick in an 8-0 home win over Watford in Premier League action. 

    The Portugal international deleted the entry, tweeting: "Can't even joke with a friend these days…You guys…".

    Having already announced on Sunday they would be investigating the post, the FA has confirmed to Omnisport they have contacted the Premier League club for a response on the matter.

    Meanwhile, Kick It Out, football's equality and inclusion organisation, called for retrospective action to be taken against the 25-year-old.

    "We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva, which has since been deleted," Kick It Out said in a statement.

    "Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

    "The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education – which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

  • Chelsea must address home form - Mount Chelsea must address home form - Mount

    Mason Mount insists Chelsea are staying positive as they seek to finally claim a home win this season when they host Grimsby Town and Brighton and Hove Albion this week.

    Frank Lampard's side suffered a 2-1 loss to Liverpool on Sunday, marking a fourth game at Stamford Bridge this term without a victory.

    The Blues mounted an impressive second-half rally against the Premier League leaders but N'Golo Kante's goal was only enough to halve the deficit.

    "We are going through a spell when we are getting little bits here and there wrong and we are getting punished for it," said Mount. "I think we have always got to stay positive.

    "We are positive straight after the game, focusing now on our next two games at home and wanting to win them. They are difficult games, but I think once you get that first home win and get that momentum building, then hopefully we can carry that on.

    "I think the fans watching saw how much we put into the game, how hard we worked throughout the whole game. They probably feel as much as us that we could probably get something from the game at the end.

    "It could easily have been a draw if we nick a goal. They are watching the game and can see how much we are running, and want to win the game and want to play for the badge. So, yes, that home win is due and we need to focus on that and hopefully in the next game we can do that.

    "Of course [we need to win more at home], if you look at the games we have had we can take positives from every game we have had.

    "We need to win games at home, that's a big focus."

    Mount took some comfort from Chelsea's showing after the interval against Liverpool, who held on to maintain their 100 per cent start to the top-flight season.

    "They are one of the best teams in the league and, in the second half, I felt like we dominated it," he said.

    "They had chances. Look at the team they have got and they are always going to create chances, but I thought overall in the second half we were very dominant. We had chances of our own and we could have scored.

    "We look back at the second-half performance and take a lot of positives from it.

    "I think Liverpool are a very, very good side and they started the game well from two set-pieces which you can't do very much from that with their quality. I thought they didn't create much in open play."

  • UEFA punishes Slovakia, Hungary and Romania with stadium closures UEFA punishes Slovakia, Hungary and Romania with stadium closures

    Slovakia, Hungary and Romania have been hit with UEFA sanctions, including stadium closures, after being charged with racist behaviour by the governing body.

    The trio of nations landed in hot water after the recent rounds of Euro 2020 qualifying matches, with incidents of racism among the charges levelled at all three.

    Slovakia and Hungary, who met on September 9 in Budapest, must each play their next UEFA competition match behind closed doors, as ordered by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body.

    Both were accused of racist behaviour among their fans, with Hungary supporters also found to have thrown objects and set off fireworks, while an additional charge was brought relating to the conduct of the team.

    Slovakia fans were also deemed to have engaged in racist chanting, with the same offence committed by Romania's followers as their team took on Spain and Malta earlier this month.

    Additionally, Romania supporters invaded the field of play, set off fireworks and threw objects, according to UEFA.

    The Romanian Football Federation was ordered to ensure the next UEFA competition match was played behind closed doors, with a second game subject to a one-year probationary suspension.

    Financial penalties were also dished out, with fines of €83,000 for the Romanian Football Federation, €67,125 for the Hungarian Football Federation, and €20,000 for the Slovakian Football Association.

    Slovakia's next home game is against Wales on October 10, while Hungary host Azerbaijan three days later, and Romania welcome Norway two days on from that. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.