Hernandez feeling '100 per cent' after making Bayern debut in 23-0 rout

By Sports Desk August 08, 2019

Lucas Hernandez said he is feeling "100 per cent" after making his long-awaited debut in Bayern Munich's 23-0 win over local side FC Rottach-Egern.

Bayern prised World Cup-winning France international Hernandez from Atletico Madrid in an €80million deal that was announced in March.

Hernandez missed pre-season fixtures against Arsenal, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Fenerbahce, Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund after his 2018-19 campaign was cut short due to knee surgery.

But fans got their first glimpse of Hernandez in action as Bayern crushed Rottach-Egern at their training camp in Tegernsee on Thursday.

After coming off the bench for the second half, Hernandez said: "I feel very well, I'm at 100 per cent. I have no discomfort, I feel physically very well and I'm ready to compete 100 per cent."

Hernandez could make his official debut on Monday when defending champions Bayern travel to Energie Cottbus in the DFB-Pokal first round.

"I work, as I said before, to be able to play my first official match with Bayern and hopefully I can arrive in time for Monday," he said.

Bayern, who lost to rivals Borussia Dortmund in last week's DFL-Supercup, are eyeing their eighth consecutive Bundesliga title this season.

The German giants, meanwhile, have not won the Champions League since 2012-13 following their last-16 exit last term.

"My personal goal is to win it all," the 23-year-old added. "Everything we play, I want to win. I come here to win titles and I hope that this year we can win as much as possible."

Related items

  • Barcelona? If they come, they come – Koeman addresses Camp Nou speculation Barcelona? If they come, they come – Koeman addresses Camp Nou speculation

    Netherlands head coach Ronald Koeman dismissed speculation linking him to LaLiga champions Barcelona.

    Koeman has emerged as a possible option for Barca should Ernesto Valverde leave, with the Dutchman's Netherlands contract containing a clause that would allow him to depart for Camp Nou following Euro 2020.

    The 56-year-old spent six years at Barca as a player before later having a spell as Louis van Gaal's assistant from 1998 to 2000.

    Koeman, however, is focused on his job with the Netherlands ahead of next year's European Championship.

    "I have two more years left on my contract with the [Dutch] national team and I do not like to talk about Barcelona," Koeman said at an event in Barcelona.

    "It's uncomfortable for a lot of reasons; I currently have a job and it's not fair to talk about this.

    "If they come, they come; and if they don't, they don't. There are more important things [to worry about] in life."

    The Netherlands are in Group C for Euro 2020, alongside Ukraine, Austria and a play-off winner.

    Koeman's side will open their campaign at home to Ukraine in Amsterdam on June 14.

  • Offended Reggae Girlz assistant does not want top job without changes Offended Reggae Girlz assistant does not want top job without changes

    Assistant coach of Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz, Lorne Donaldson, does not want to step into the vacancy left by the departing Hue Menzies if women’s football in the country is treated the same way it has been.

  • James Johnson appointed FFA CEO James Johnson appointed FFA CEO

    Football Federation Australia (FFA) confirmed the appointment of James Johnson as its new chief executive officer on Friday.

    Johnson, most recently the senior vice-president of external affairs with the City Football Group (CFG), is replacing David Gallop as chief and will begin in the role in January.

    He has previously held positions with FIFA – as head of professional football and senior manager member associations – and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) as director of international relations and development.

    "Having run a domestic and international executive search, and in a strong field of candidates, we have no doubt James is the right person for the role. We are thrilled that he is coming back to Australia at this important time for the game," FFA chairman Chris Nikou said in a statement.

    "Football is in James' soul. He has demonstrated that he is a collaborative leader and team player and brings global and local experience and networks to the FFA. Importantly he also understands the importance of developmental pathways and the grassroots of the code having on the ground experience representing Australia as a member of the 1999 U-17 'Joeys' national team and having risen through the ranks of football in Queensland in the 1990s.

    "He is one of the few leaders in the sport who has spent his playing and executive career within the various stakeholder groups associated with football and in this time of change we think that matters.

    "James has inarguably made a meaningful contribution to the code globally. A lawyer by training, throughout his executive career, James has been at the centre of many major industry negotiations, managing multi-stakeholder situations and projects including currently representing Manchester City Football Club [MCFC] within the Union of European Football Associations [UEFA] and European Clubs Association [ECA] bodies in the ongoing reforms to the competition format, match calendar, financial distribution model and qualification pathway to the UEFA Champions League.

    "In 2016, James received international recognition when Leaders™ listed him as one of its 'Leaders under 40' across all sports. He is also considered as having played a meaningful role in supporting the global leagues to form the World Leagues Forum."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.