Rapinoe headlines 12-woman shortlist for Best FIFA Women's Player award

By Sports Desk July 31, 2019
Megan Rapinoe Megan Rapinoe

United States star Megan Rapinoe and three of her international team-mates are among 12 nominees for the Best FIFA Women's Player Award for 2019.

A first-time recipient will be named in Milan on September 23 after former winners Marta, Lieke Martens and Carli Lloyd all failed to make the shortlist.

Reign FC forward Rapinoe shapes as a strong contender after inspiring USA to glory at the Women's World Cup in France.

The 34-year-old scored six goals in five games, including one in the 2-0 victory over Netherlands in the final, to claim a Golden Ball-Golden Boot double.

Rapinoe's compatriots Alex Morgan, Rose Lavelle and Julie Ertz are also in contention, as are England pair Ellen White and Lucy Bronze, who claimed the Silver Ball.

Right-back Bronze and striker Ada Hegerberg, last year's inaugural Women's Ballon d'Or winner, feature among four players from the Lyon side that won the Women's Champions League.

The list of contenders has been expanded to 12 from the usual 10 due to a tie in the number of votes received by some nominees.

 

The Best FIFA Women's Player nominees:

Lucy Bronze (Lyon & England)
Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars & United States)
Caroline Graham Hansen (Barcelona & Norway)
Ada Hegerberg (Lyon)
Amandine Henry (Lyon & France)
Sam Kerr (Chicago Red Stars & Australia)
Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit & United States)
Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal & Netherlands)
Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride & United States)
Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC & United States)
Wendie Renard (Lyon & France)
Ellen White (Manchester City & England)

Related items

  • BB Coke stun Manchester High to advance to Ben Francis Cup final BB Coke stun Manchester High to advance to Ben Francis Cup final

    BB Coke advanced to the final of the ISSA Ben Francis Cup on Thursday after coming from behind to defeat Manchester High School at the Juici Field in Clarendon, Jamaica.

  • Deschamps sees Euro 2020 qualification as no excuse for France display Deschamps sees Euro 2020 qualification as no excuse for France display

    Didier Deschamps was not impressed with France's first-half performance against Moldova, insisting Euro 2020 qualification did not justify a below-par showing in their 2-1 win.

    France booked their place at next year's finals before playing on Thursday, as Turkey drew at home to Iceland to ensure the visitors could not catch either their opponents or the world champions.

    But rather than celebrate in style, France started sloppily in a Group H qualifier packed with decisive errors in Paris.

    Clement Lenglet handed Moldova's Vadim Rata the opener, but Raphael Varane profited from Alexei Koselev's mistake, before Olivier Giroud sealed victory from the penalty spot.

    With France still battling for seeding in the Euros draw, head coach Deschamps was concerned by the substandard early display.

    "I do not think [qualifying explains a poor performance] and I hope not because it's not enough to be qualified," he said. "The possibility of finishing first remained with a victory.

    "We conceded the goal on an error, but our first half was insufficient. I am not satisfied with the attacking play in the first period.

    "The second was more consistent, even if we lacked efficiency. We had 17 attempts, not always on target. But in the first half, we had too few.

    "There was a tendency to ask for the ball only to feet and not in behind. There was not enough movement and availability. It was too static, there was a lack of mobility."

    Deschamps confirmed he had delivered some home truths at half-time, adding: "I can sometimes be hard, very hard with them

    "There is so much potential in this team that, when I do not see what I want to see, I say it."

  • Ibrahimovic wants to finish career in Italy, says Galaxy boss Schelotto Ibrahimovic wants to finish career in Italy, says Galaxy boss Schelotto

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to see out his career in Italy, according to LA Galaxy head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

    Ibrahimovic revealed on Wednesday that he will not be renewing his contract with MLS side the Galaxy, where the 38-year-old arrived from Manchester United in 2018.

    The ex-Paris Saint-Germain striker has been strongly linked with a return to Europe, with MLS commissioner Don Garber last week suggesting former club AC Milan are the frontrunners to re-sign the soon-to-be free agent.

    Napoli, Bologna and Roma have also been touted as possible options for the former Sweden international should he return to Serie A, while A-League team Perth Glory have confirmed their interest in bringing Ibrahimovic to Australia on a guest deal.

    Asked about Ibrahimovic's future, Galaxy boss Schelotto told Radio Kiss Kiss: "He does not know what he will do now.

    "He is a wonderful player, but I don't know what his next step will be - perhaps he'll finish his career in Naples or with Milan. 

    "I don't know where he will go but he deserves and wants to finish his career in Italy."

    Ibrahimovic spent two seasons with Milan – winning the Serie A and Supercoppa Italiana – before leaving in 2012 for French giants PSG, where he worked under current Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti.

    "They know each other well," Schelotto said. "Zlatan evidently has the characteristics that Napoli needs."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.