Oblak considered Atletico exit during contract stand-off

By Sports Desk July 31, 2019

Jan Oblak has admitted to having doubts about his future at Atletico Madrid before drawn-out contract negotiations reached a positive conclusion in April.

Slovenia international Oblak signed a fresh four-year deal near the end of last season, tying him to the LaLiga club until 2023.

Atleti had declared their intention to upgrade the goalkeeper's release clause almost 12 months earlier and Diego Simeone confirmed talks were underway as early as November.

The impasse fuelled transfer rumours and the 26-year-old conceded there were times when he considered whether other clubs would value him more.

"Yes, there were doubts," Oblak told Marca. "It was strange. But that's the life of a professional footballer.

"I was calm that everything would be fine and get resolved. It took a very, very long time, but you sit down, you look into each other's eyes and say what you think and feel, and you reach an agreement. That's how we arrived [at a new deal].

"I know the club, the players and coaches all respect me.

"With the new contract, this story being in the press every week is over. That also gives me peace of mind on the matter."

The new agreement increased Oblak's buyout figure from €100million to €120m, a paltry number in comparison to the staggering €800m release clause inserted into former team-mate Antoine Griezmann's contact at Barcelona.

"Clauses are just numbers in contracts," the ex-Benfica gloveman said.

"If the intention of the player is to continue and the club for you stay... the number changes nothing, no matter if it's €1m or €200m.

"The most important thing is that both parties are happy and follow the same path."

Related items

  • Stephen Hart would not return to T&T coaching job under current conditions Stephen Hart would not return to T&T coaching job under current conditions

    Former head coach of Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior team Stephen Hart is coy on whether he would coach that country’s team again if there was a change of administration in the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation on Sunday.

  • Tuchel not worried about Neymar after 'bad performance' against Lille Tuchel not worried about Neymar after 'bad performance' against Lille

    Neymar had a "bad performance" on his return for Paris Saint-Germain, according to coach Thomas Tuchel, who nonetheless defended the fit-again forward.

    The Brazil star had been out of action for a month with an injury sustained on international duty but started for PSG at home to Lille in Ligue 1 on Friday.

    Neymar had a hand in PSG's second goal in a 2-0 win that moved the champions 11 points clear at the top of the table.

    However, in his 65 minutes on the pitch, he failed to record a single shot or key pass and completed only 63.9 per cent of his passes on an underwhelming return to action.

    Tuchel, though, was not expecting a top performance given his time on the sidelines.

    "No, I'm not worried by his bad performance," Tuchel told reporters of Neymar's display. "I do not know if it's normal. 

    "I did not expect much from him because he missed six weeks. It's a lot for someone like him, who needs pace for everything he does. 

    "He missed precision today, timing. But it's like that. He had to play a few minutes."

    Neymar was replaced by Kylian Mbappe and went straight down the tunnel rather than watch the rest of the game from the bench.

    "It's normal. Many players enter the locker room directly," was Tuchel's view. 

    "I did not see that because I was focused on the game, changing tactics. 

    "We have to talk about this thing internally. But we are not going to talk about it too much now."

    Goals from Mauro Icardi and Angel Di Maria in the first half saw PSG to a routine victory at Parc des Princes.

    "They are fit, and strong together," Tuchel said of the Argentina duo. "Both stayed with us during the [international] break.

    "That's good because you can manage them and keep them fresh. Both are decisive and score goals. And they work for the team and it makes a huge difference for us."

  • Reus 'ashamed' of Borussia Dortmund despite dramatic Paderborn comeback Reus 'ashamed' of Borussia Dortmund despite dramatic Paderborn comeback

    Marco Reus said he was "ashamed" of Borussia Dortmund's performance in a 3-3 Bundesliga draw at home to Paderborn despite his late equaliser salvaging a point.

    Dortmund, beaten 4-0 away to Bayern Munich in their last match before the international break, were 3-0 down at half-time in Friday's clash against the league's bottom side.

    Streli Mamba struck twice and Gerrit Holtmann was also on target for Steffen Baumgart's side, while Dortmund lost striker Paco Alcacer to injury before the interval.

    Dortmund improved after the break, with Jadon Sancho reducing the deficit two minutes after the restart, and Axel Witsel gave the hosts further hope by scoring with six minutes to go.

    Sancho then crossed for Reus to nod home the leveller in the second minute of added time to spare Dortmund an embarrassing defeat, though the captain was unimpressed with his side.

    "We can never play like that again," he told DAZN after Dortmund missed the chance to move up to second place in the table. 

    "It was an absolutely poor performance and we are ashamed. We apologise to all our fans."

    Pressure has been growing on Lucien Favre, whose side came from two goals down to beat Inter in the Champions League this month, but Reus defended the under-fire Dortmund coach.

    "The coach puts us in a great position every time. We're responsible for putting our performance on the pitch, and we do not have to talk about the coach, but about us," the forward said. 

    "If 80,000 people come here on a Friday night, we cannot offer that."

    Dortmund will be eight points off the top of the table if Borussia Monchengladbach win at Union Berlin on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.