EPL

Chelsea beaten by Kawasaki Frontale in Lampard's third game

By Sports Desk July 19, 2019

Frank Lampard tasted defeat for the first time as Chelsea head coach as his side went down 1-0 to Kawasaki Frontale.

After games against Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic in Ireland, Chelsea headed to Japan for the J.League World Challenge.

But they slipped to a late loss with former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao on target for Kawasaki Frontale.

Next up for the Blues will be Barcelona in Saitama on Tuesday with Lampard's first Premier League game in charge coming against Manchester United on August 11.

Pedro failed to make the most of two opportunities in the first half-hour as Chelsea toiled in humid conditions in Yokohama.

Mason Mount then curled an effort just wide after Lampard made five changes to his side at the half-time interval.

The J.League side continued to keep Chelsea at bay, goalkeeper Shota Arai quickly off his line to deny Kenedy after Ross Barkley's pass split the defence.

David Luiz hit a free-kick into the wall before Olivier Giroud's set piece called Arai into action again, the goalkeeper making a smart save low to his left.

Giroud had a late header saved by Arai and Damiao got above Davide Zappacosta but saw his effort come back off the crossbar in a frantic finale.

There was still time for Kawasaki Frontale to win it at the death, Damiao arriving at the back post to nod beyond Willy Caballero and secure a famous victory.

Related items

  • I can still be a successful coach - Henry targets return to management I can still be a successful coach - Henry targets return to management

    Thierry Henry is confident he can become a managerial success, despite being sacked three months into his first job as head coach of Monaco.

    The 42-year-old was suspended and then dismissed by the Ligue 1 side in January after a run of four wins in 20 matches.

    He had previously worked as assistant to Roberto Martinez with the Belgium national team before making the transition into management.

    Seven months on from leaving Stade Louis II, former Arsenal striker Henry has targeted a return to the sport and revealed he has already received a number of offers.

    "Call me crazy if you want, but I love football and I still believe I can be a successful coach," he told The Telegraph. 

    "I'm not thinking about the pain, I'm not thinking about failure. I don't like easy. I like to lead and it's on me to make it happen. The same when I joined Arsenal as a player, the same when I went to Belgium with Roberto. It's an evolution. 

    "My phone didn't ring for four months after I left Monaco and then all of a sudden I got five calls. Some were not what I was looking for and some were as a number two - very interesting offers, but I can't leave my staff behind. 

    "I've got guys who stopped working for me and what do I say to them? 'Hey guys, you stopped working for me but now I've got a job'. I won't do a number two job because I want to be a number one."

    Henry does not regret taking on the Monaco job and is grateful to have been given a chance at the club where he started his player career, but admitted he will think carefully before accepting his next position.

    "There is something I always say," he said. "You win or you learn and, as you can imagine, I learned a lot. 

    "I still have Monaco in my heart, it's the club that gave me my first opportunity as a player and gave me my first opportunity as a coach, so I will always be thankful to the people who gave me that, people who are there, some are gone.

    "My heart talked at the time. I wanted to go back to where I started everything. I have zero regrets about what happened. It was a very difficult task and I felt that if I'd had more time I could have done more.

    "If I knew I only had three months, then maybe I would have acted a different way, but I was trying to plan something for the future and doing that in such a little amount of time is very difficult."

    Henry failed to inspire a turnaround during his short time at Monaco, leaving the club a point and a place above the bottom of the Ligue 1 table.

    Leonardo Jardim, the man Henry replaced, was appointed as the Frenchman's successor and kept them in the top flight.

    "I'm proud of what we did achieve with such a young team," Henry said. "We had to win in Caen and Amiens, and those six points were very important. I had no doubt that team was going to stay up because there was enough quality.

    "I am not complaining and I can only say thank you to everybody, but to build a legacy and build something for the future, it takes time."

  • Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit

    Daniel Sturridge has agreed a three-year contract with Trabzonspor, the Turkish Super Lig side have confirmed.

    The striker, who left Liverpool at the end of last season, is set to join his new club until 2022, with the option of an extra year.

    Sturridge was released by the European champions when his contract expired in June after six years at Anfield, in which he scored 67 goals in 160 appearances.

    In July, the 29-year-old was fined £75,000 and banned for six weeks - four of which were suspended - for breaching betting rules in English football.

    Sturridge, who was free to play again from July 31, said it was "extremely disappointing" to hear the Football Association would be appealing against what the governing body considered to be an insufficient punishment.

    "I will continue to defend the case and the appeal," he said.

    Trabzonspor finished fourth in the Super Lig last season, six points behind champions Galatasaray.

    They face AEK in a Europa League play-off first leg on Thursday.

  • Hudson-Odoi steps up injury recovery with Stamford Bridge training session Hudson-Odoi steps up injury recovery with Stamford Bridge training session

    Injured winger Callum Hudson-Odoi moved closer to a Chelsea comeback as he took part in an open training session at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

    The 18-year-old has been sidelined since rupturing an Achilles tendon in April.

    Hudson-Odoi was linked to Bayern Munich before and after the setback but is reportedly on the cusp of signing a new contract with the Premier League club.

    Agreeing fresh terms could come as a double boost with the England international upbeat about an imminent return to playing. 

    "Great to be back in training, it's another step in my recovery," Hudson-Odoi said in a video Chelsea posted on Twitter.

    "Can't wait to be back at the Bridge playing again. See you soon!"

    Hudson-Odoi struggled to secure a starting XI berth under former boss Maurizio Sarri but new head coach Frank Lampard has been vocal in his backing.

    "I have seen Callum come through and he is a fantastic talent," Lampard said in pre-season.

    "I know the club want him to stay and he is going to be central for us on the pitch."

    Hudson-Odoi spent a period training with the club's Under-23 side before linking up with the first team at Cobham on Tuesday.

    Chelsea will attempt to secure their first Premier League win of the season when they visit Norwich City on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.