EPL

Klopp: It's too early for contract talks with Liverpool

By Sports Desk July 18, 2019

Jurgen Klopp insisted it was too early for contract talks with Liverpool with three years still remaining on his deal.

The German led the Premier League giants to Champions League success last season and reports suggested he was set to extend his contract, which runs until 2022.

But Klopp, whose side face Borussia Dortmund in a pre-season friendly on Friday, said he was unfazed about a new deal just yet.

"I will not leave before the contract is ending. That is my side. That is why a contract is important," he told a news conference, via The Telegraph.

"We have enough time to make decisions in that department. There is no need to do it now. Three years is really a bit early to be concerned. It is just a contract.

"The owners like what I do. I like what the owners are doing. I love the team, they are brilliant. Melwood is sensational. I'm looking forward to going to [the new training ground in] Kirkby and all these things. There is always a step forward.

"We all want to keep the past and traditions and all that stuff, but there needs to be a step forward. It is important that is our attitude. You cannot make that step in three or four years by making sure that I stay until 2000-and-something. It just makes sure that I will stay until then."

Liverpool lost just one Premier League game last season, earning 97 points but falling short of a first league title since 1990.

Klopp said he was only worried about his team, who have had a quiet transfer window, but also believes champions Manchester City are again favourites.

"[I am] completely focused on Liverpool. Completely," he said.

"It would be great if we could be around Man City again because that's the only possibility to have to pass them because it is already clear they are the big favourite again. No problem with that.

"They have a very good situation, which they showed last year especially after having 100 points in the season before – the greed they showed, the determination they showed, it was just impressive."

Related items

  • Emery rues 'key chance' squandered by Pepe Emery rues 'key chance' squandered by Pepe

    Unai Emery claimed Nicolas Pepe’s miss from six yards was a key moment as Arsenal’s run of eight games unbeaten in all competitions came to an end at Sheffield United.

    Lys Mousset’s goal at Bramall Lane gave the Blades a 1-0 win as Arsenal’s poor run against the Blades continued, having never won against them in four Premier League attempts.

    Pepe has endured a frustrating start to his career in England having moved from Lille for £72million in the summer with the forward yet to score from open play for the Gunners.  

    The defeat means Arsenal miss an opportunity to go third in the league and Emery believes Pepe’s miss is part of a process with improvement and gaining confidence.

    "The chance for us, for Pepe, was the key," he told reporters.

    "Because if they score the first goal, defensively they’re very strong.

    "Pepe is improving I think, but his way with us is little-by-little getting better, and the next step is to score.

    "Tonight for example, the best chance is one he is usually going to score, but he didn’t take it with efficiency. He is improving and taking confidence, but it is one process."

  • Carragher apologises to Evra for t-shirts worn in support of Luiz Suarez Carragher apologises to Evra for t-shirts worn in support of Luiz Suarez

    Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has apologised to Patrice Evra and admitted the club "got it massively wrong" when they wore t-shirts in support of Luis Suarez following a racism incident between the pair in 2011.

    Suarez received an eight game ban after racially abusing the Frenchman in a match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in 2011.

    In the return match at Old Trafford, Evra refused to shake the Uruguayan’s hand but after the punishment was handed down by the Football Association, Liverpool wore T-shirts in support of Suarez in the warm-up of their Premier League clash with Wigan.  

    "There was no doubt we made a massive mistake," Carragher said on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football, where Evra was also a guest.

    "I’m not saying I wasn’t part of it because as the club we got it wrong and I was vice-captain. I’m not sure who was actually behind it. I think it was the players who were close to Luis in the dressing room who really wanted to support their mate.

    "Maybe I didn’t have the courage as an individual to say ‘I wasn’t wearing it’. I don’t think everyone at Liverpool thought what we were doing was right.

    "Your first reaction is to protect your team-mate. Even when you know they have done something wrong. And that's wrong.

    "I’m not condoning what we did. Apologies, we got it massively wrong."

    Evra also admitted to feeling shocked when he saw the display from Liverpool’s players.

    "When I saw it, I was like this is ridiculous, this is unbelievable. You always have to support your players but this was after the ban," he added.

    "What message do you send to the world? Supporting someone being banned because he used some racist words."

  • RFEF postpones decision on new date for El Clasico RFEF postpones decision on new date for El Clasico

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has been unable to make a final decision on a new date for the postponed Clasico clash originally set for October 26 due to new input from LaLiga.

    RFEF confirmed the postponement of the match last Friday following political unrest in Catalonia.

    Violent scenes have broken out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence last Monday.

    A rally in Barcelona has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, ultimately resulting in El Clasico's postponement for security reasons.

    RFEF left Barca and Madrid to agree a date between themselves and they mutually accepted to reschedule the match for December 18, but that now looks unlikely.

    LaLiga is reported to have insisted on the game being played on December 4 and RFEF has passed its comments on to the clubs, who have been given until 20:00CET Tuesday to respond.

    RFEF's statement read: "The Competition Committee of the Royal Spanish Football Federation will return to Barcelona and Real Madrid tomorrow [Tuesday] after receiving new statements from the National Professional Football League [LaLiga] on the date of the Clasico [originally] to be played on October 26 and was postponed due to exceptional circumstances.

    "The clubs will have a deadline to answer by 20:00 on Tuesday, and the Competition Committee must meet again to assess their responses.

    "During the day, the Competition Committee has analysed the proposals of both clubs, which it invited to agree to a day and who have agreed to play the postponed match on December 18.

    "It [the Competition Committee] has also analysed the various reports sent by the National Professional Football League during these days.

    "In addition, the Committee requested a report from the RFEF Competition Area, which has been sent to them in a timely manner."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.