Sarri betrayed Napoli by joining Juventus – Insigne

By Sports Desk July 15, 2019
Lorenzo Insigne (left) getting instructions from then Napoli coach, Maurizio Sarri. Lorenzo Insigne (left) getting instructions from then Napoli coach, Maurizio Sarri.

Napoli star Lorenzo Insigne reiterated that Maurizio Sarri betrayed the club by joining Serie A champions Juventus, while the captain said he wants to retire at Stadio San Paolo.

Former Napoli head coach Sarri angered players and fans in Naples when he swapped Premier League outfit Chelsea for rivals Juventus last month.

Sarri guided Napoli to three consecutive top-three finishes during his time at the club before leaving for Chelsea in 2018.

Insigne was vocal at the time, warning a move to Juve would represent "a betrayal" of Napoli and the club icon stood by his comments on Monday.

"I said it and I say it again, for us Neapolitans, that was a betrayal," Insigne said during a Q&A session.

"Now we have to focus on ourselves and try to beat him. The Scudetto is a dream for all of us and we will try once more."

Insigne's future has been the subject of speculation as he waits to sign a new deal with Napoli.

The 28-year-old – who emerged from the youth team of his boyhood club in 2010 – is contracted to Napoli until 2022.

Insigne has been linked to Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool previously, and when asked if he could move abroad the Italy international added: "No. I'm still young, I'm happy in Naples and want to stay here for the rest of my career.

"Scoring that goal against Real Madrid gave me such strong sensations and I hope other young Neapolitan lads can feel the same way in future.

"It is the dream of all Neapolitan boys and I am very proud to be in this position."

Insigne made 28 Serie A appearances last season, scoring 10 goals as Napoli finished runners-up to Juventus.

Related items

  • Dybala will never be a problem for Juventus – Nedved Dybala will never be a problem for Juventus – Nedved

    Paulo Dybala's presence is no hindrance to Juventus' ongoing search for new signings, according to the club's vice-president Pavel Nedved.

    The Serie A champions head into Saturday's season opener against Parma with a host of new signings at their disposal, including Matthijs de Ligt, Aaron Ramsey and right-back Danilo.

    Argentina forward Dybala seemed set to make way amid the influx with Manchester United, Tottenham and Paris Saint-Germain all linked at various stages.

    None of those proposed moves have transpired and the 25-year-old is still standing at Allianz Stadium, a situation that sits comfortably with Nedved.

    "Dybala will never be a problem for us because he is a great player," the former Bianconeri midfielder said on Friday, sitting in at a pre-match news conference as head coach Maurizio Sarri continues his recovery from a bout of pneumonia.

    "Maurizio is using him as a false nine and I believe he is playing the role very well. He had a great pre-season."

    Nedved dodged questions about Inter outcast and rumoured Juve target Mauro Icardi but revealed there could yet be further new arrivals.

    "[Sporting director] Fabio Paratici has had done extraordinary things, some beautiful and important deals," he said.

    "The transfer window is still open and we will see if there are opportunities we can seize.

    "We are not forced to do anything. If there are possibilities, we will do something. Otherwise we will remain as we are."

    Juve will, however, have to do without the guidance of head coach Sarri for their first two Serie A fixtures as he recuperates.

    The former Chelsea boss is to return to work after the international break, Nedved confirmed.

    He said: "Pneumonia is not a simple thing. Sarri would like to be out the training pitch and in the office every day because he is a great professional, but he needs time. He is getting better.

    "Obviously there are difficulties for us, but we have managed them before."

  • Real Madrid boss Zidane wants end to Neymar transfer speculation Real Madrid boss Zidane wants end to Neymar transfer speculation

    Zinedine Zidane is desperate to see the end of the transfer window after growing tired of the circus surrounding rumoured Real Madrid target Neymar.

    LaLiga giants Madrid and fierce rivals Barcelona are believed to be battling for Neymar's signature as Paris Saint-Germain listen to offers for the Brazil international.

    The 27-year-old was a topic of interest at Zidane's news conference on Friday, which occurred amid speculation in Spain that Keylor Navas could head in the opposite direction.

    Head coach Zidane made clear his preference for Navas to remain in Madrid but was less forthcoming with his views on a potential deal for Neymar.

    "I'm working with the players I have at my disposal and we have a game on Saturday," Zidane said ahead of the clash with Real Valladolid.

    "Anything can happen until September 2, when the transfer window closes.

    "Some might come, some might leave. I want September 2 to come as soon as possible so there will be no more questions.

    "I am looking ahead to Saturday's game, that's what I'm concerned about right now."

    Costa Rica international Navas watched from the bench as Madrid beat Celta Vigo 3-1 in their season opener last weekend but, despite PSG's apparent interest, the 32-year-old could well stay in the Spanish capital.

    That is, at least, if head coach Zidane gets his way.

    "Keylor is here with us and wants to be here with us," the Frenchman said.

    "He has always been a great professional. We will have many games and I will count on him. Keylor is our player and an important player for us."

  • Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay

    Alexis Sanchez is not certain to leave Manchester United even though there are ongoing transfer talks with interested clubs, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Chile forward Sanchez was not in the matchday squad for United's first two Premier League games of the season with Chelsea and Wolves, having not taken part in any pre-season fixtures following his efforts at the Copa America.

    The 30-year-old has been heavily linked with Inter, who have already signed Romelu Lukaku from United in this transfer window and are said to be interested in a loan deal.

    It is claimed Sanchez's wage demands are proving a problem for the Nerazzurri, though, with Italy's transfer deadline just 10 days away.

    Solskjaer appears unsure of what will happen with Sanchez, but he was pleased with his efforts in a behind-closed-doors friendly match against Sheffield United this week and does not seem desperate to see the player go.

    "There's still talks with some clubs, but he played in that game and played well," Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday. "So, as I've said, he's working hard and let's see in September what's going to happen."

    Lukaku caused a stir this week when a podcast apparently recorded while he was still a United player was published, in which the striker accused United of effectively nudging him out of the club by failing to protect him from public criticism and transfer speculation.

    Solskjaer refused to become embroiled in the matter, saying: "I'm not going to dive into that one. That interview was made before the summer, wasn't it? When he was a Man United player? So, I think I'd rather not."

    United host Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Saturday after taking four points from their first two league matches of the season at home to Chelsea and away to Wolves.

    Solskjaer has been encouraged by the fitness displayed in those performances, having been concerned by the way his players allowed their intensity to drop in matches towards the end of last season.

    "The team spirt is great, we've got loads of energy and passion. You can see that with the way we went about the game with Wolverhampton," he said.

    "I thought our pressing was excellent. We gave them five minutes in the second half and that was it, really, when they had the ball and pushed us back but, apart from that, the engine looks so much better.

    "Everyone's fit and when you're physically fit it's easier to be mentally strong as well.

    "[Palace] are a very organised team. They've got pace up front for counter-attacks, strong on set-pieces, so, of course, we know we have to do all parts of the game.

    "We have to attack well, we have to win the ball back when we're losing it and we've got to be strong on set plays."

    Solskjaer also confirmed that full-back Diogo Dalot is likely to be out of action until after the international break next month due to injury.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.