Morgan talks potential White House visit for USA: I think you know the answer

By Sports Desk July 05, 2019

Alex Morgan hinted the United States will snub Donald Trump's White House invitation and is confident Jill Ellis' team will not be split on the issue.

It is customary for champions to visit the US president after winning a sporting title, with Morgan and her team-mates congratulated by Barack Obama when they won the Women's World Cup in 2015.

However, since Trump succeeded Obama following the 2016 election, teams like the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles and NBA's Golden State Warriors have had their White House offers withdrawn after numerous players from both teams declared they had no intention of making the trip for political reasons.

Morgan's outspoken team-mate Megan Rapinoe has already she said is "not going to the f****** White House" and though Trump responded to that by inviting Ellis' squad regardless of whether they beat Netherlands in Sunday's final, it appears the offer will be rejected.

"I think we'll make that decision after we finish Sunday's game," USA captain Morgan said.

"I think there's been a lot of talk prematurely about the White House and about Trump.

"First we have to do business and then I think you guys know the answer to the question anyway."

The White House pulled the plug on the Eagles' scheduled visit following their Super Bowl LII victory in 2018 because "the vast majority of the team" wished to stay away.

Morgan believes there will be no factions in Ellis' squad when it comes to their decision.

"I can't say 100 per cent but this team is very close and we've always made decisions together so I can't really see us deciding to part in that way," she added.

"But at the same time, if someone feels strongly then who are we to tell them to do or not do something?"

Trump took to Twitter last week to express his disapproval of Rapinoe's comments, telling the striker to "WIN first before she TALKS!"

Yet Rapinoe was unrepentant when speaking ahead of the semi-final victory over England, which she missed with a slight hamstring strain.

"I don't think that I would want to go [to the White House] and I would encourage my team-mates to think hard about lending that platform or having that co-opted by an administration that doesn't feel the same way and doesn't fight for the same things that we fight for," said Rapinoe, who expects to be fit for the final.

Related items

  • Sarri waits on Ronaldo fitness ahead of Brescia test Sarri waits on Ronaldo fitness ahead of Brescia test

    Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness will be assessed ahead of Juventus' Serie A clash with Brescia on Tuesday.

    Juve boss Maurizio Sarri confirmed Ronaldo had suffered with muscle fatigue over the weekend, putting his participation in doubt.

    Sarri said he expected to have to juggle his selection after a busy week in which his side played three times.

    "I want to see the current conditions. Ronaldo yesterday [Sunday] had a little muscle fatigue but it is quite normal after three games in seven days," he said.

    "We'll see if it is necessary or not for someone to rest. It's important that we have continuity in this moment, but there are also other factors to consider.

    "We'll have to make some evaluations."

    Brescia were 1-0 winners at Udinese last time out and Sarri, whose side surrendered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Atletico Madrid in the Champions League before overcoming Hellas Verona 2-1 in Serie A, is expecting a tough challenge.

    He also cited a potential Brescia debut for Mario Balotelli as an added layer of difficulty for the away fixture.

    "Brescia are a dangerous team," he said. "They play decent football in an enthusiastic environment and a lot of work has gone into it. The game is undoubtedly a tricky one.

    "Balotelli's return could give them additional enthusiasm, they are in great shape."

    Ronaldo is on the three-man shortlist for The Best FIFA Men's Player award on Monday, alongside Lionel Messi and Virgil van Dijk. 

  • Barcelona boss Valverde quashes crisis talk amid poor start to LaLiga season Barcelona boss Valverde quashes crisis talk amid poor start to LaLiga season

    Ernesto Valverde dismissed claims of Barcelona being in crisis as nothing more than a quirk of modern football as he remained relaxed about speculation over his future.

    Barca's worst start to a LaLiga season in 25 years was confirmed by a shock 2-0 defeat at Granada on Saturday.

    The result, a second defeat in five league games for the champions, left them four points adrift of first and extended their winless run away from home to seven competitive matches, a streak that includes draws at Osasuna and Borussia Dortmund.

    Tuesday's home meeting with Villarreal presents a swift opportunity for Barca to get their campaign back on track and Valverde hopes to quieten a growing number of critics.

    "In the world of football, we talk about a crisis every three days and in three days you can be out of the crisis," Valverde said at his pre-match news conference.

    "That's what we want: we want to pick up the six points available this week.

    "Why are we in this situation? Because we haven't won, that's clear. There were moments when we weren't creating enough chances to turn the game around.

    "There are things we have to improve but, apart from the second half against Dortmund, none of our opponents have really been bombarding us with chances. We're getting penalised by occasional, one-off things that are happening.

    "We're creating the chances, but we need to create more. That's where we really need to improve. We need to create more than the opposition."

    One player capable of carving out scoring opportunities, Ousmane Dembele, will return to the squad against Villarreal after recovering from a hamstring injury.

    The fit-again Lionel Messi will be considered for a starting place following two successive appearances off the bench, but Ivan Rakitic has been left out.

    Anything less than victory at Camp Nou would pile further pressure on Valverde, who has faced stern scrutiny since last season's Champions League semi-final collapse against Liverpool.

    "It's not new. I have felt under examination from the beginning," the Blaugrana boss said.

    "There is a very large demand on coaches, much more in the case of Barca. The coach is always in the spotlight. It's no surprise."

  • Lewandowski one of the best and can lead Bayern to glory - Toni Lewandowski one of the best and can lead Bayern to glory - Toni

    The relentless brilliance of Robert Lewandowski could see Bayern Munich enjoy a very successful season, according to former striker Luca Toni.

    A double in the 4-0 Bundesliga win over Cologne on Saturday took Lewandowski to nine goals in just five league appearances in 2019-20.

    The 31-year-old, who signed a new contract through to 2023 in August, had reached 200 in all competitions for Bayern when he struck in the 3-0 Champions League win over Red Star Belgrade last week.

    Lewandowski's future had been unclear prior to the announcement of his new deal, but Toni now hopes to see the Poland star bring trophies to the Allianz Arena this season.

    "He is one of the best. I like him so much because he lives in the box and scores a lot of goals," Toni told Omnisport.

    "Let's say this: it's really hard to criticise Lewandowski. He is a great player. Sometimes, it happens that he does not score.

    "Team success basically comes through strikers' goals. Here we have a strong striker like Lewandowski and I am pretty sure he can lead Bayern to success."

    Lewandowski's form has helped Bayern to three wins and two draws from their first five league games of the season, putting them two points behind early pace-setters RB Leipzig.

    There are five teams on 10 points, including Borussia Dortmund, leading Toni to hope for stronger competition this term as Bayern go in search of an eighth title in a row.

    "The Bundesliga has to be a challenging league," said Toni, who won the domestic double with Bayern in 2008. "In Italy, Juventus won the Scudetto last year with lots of games to go, and this often happens in Germany with Bayern.

    "I hope for all the Bundesliga and the whole football movement for a very interesting league where three or more teams, maybe an underdog as well, are able to take results against the big teams."

    Similarly, Toni is hoping for a stronger title fight in Serie A this season, with Antonio Conte's Inter and Carlo Ancelotti's Napoli tipped to challenge Juventus' dominance of the top flight.

    "Juventus are the strongest," Toni admitted. "They have basically two teams made of 22 champions. It will be hard [for other teams] but Inter improved the squad in the market and Napoli completed their squad. 

    "It would be great for Italian football if those teams could fight for the Scudetto. They are the best: Inter, Napoli and Juventus."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.