Australia accept 2020 Copa America invitation

By Sports Desk June 13, 2019

Australia will play at the 2020 Copa America after accepting an invitation from CONMEBOL.

The Socceroos are set to feature during next year's tournament in Argentina and Colombia, Football Federation Australia (FFA) confirmed on Friday.

The 2019 Copa America, which kicks off in Brazil on Friday, includes guests Japan and Qatar and Australia will follow suit for the first time in 12 months.

"The Copa America is a highlight of the football calendar and we can't wait to get there," said Socceroos head coach Graham Arnold.

"We crave these opportunities as players and coaches. The experience we will gain from playing in this tournament will be incredible and I know by speaking to our players, they are equally excited about being part of one of the world's most prestigious football tournaments.

"Our planning for the FIFA World Cup Qatar has already started. We are building depth amongst our playing group, as evidenced by our performance in Korea Republic last week and playing in this tournament provides another layer of incentive for our players to put themselves up for selection for the national team.

"It will be a big couple of months as we start June next year with World Cup qualifiers and then head straight to the Copa America."

Australia – whose Asian Cup defence came to an end in the quarter-finals in January – faced South American nation Peru during last year's World Cup in Russia.

Mexico, the United States, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, Haiti and Qatar have all accepted invitations in the past.

FFA chairman Chris Nikou added: "We are ecstatic that our Caltex Socceroos will be participating in this prestigious competition for the first time in our history.

"We have been working hard over the last six months to improve our international relationships. This week we held fruitful final discussions with our colleagues at CONMEBOL in Paris and we are delighted we have been able to accept this invitation."

Related items

  • Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card

    Lionel Messi has been handed a ban and fine after his red card during Argentina's Copa America win over Chile in the third-place play-off.

    Messi, 32, will serve a one-match suspension after his altercation with Gary Medel, also sent off, during Argentina's 2-1 victory earlier this month.

    In a statement on Tuesday, CONMEBOL also confirmed the Barcelona star had been fined $1,500, with no appeal possible.

    The single judge of the disciplinary tribunal confirmed "the automatic suspension imposed on the player Lionel Andres Messi, not agreeing on any additional suspension" while imposing the $1,500 fine.

    Messi, controversially sent off, railed against "corruption" and "a lack of respect" following his red card.

    His statements angered the governing body, which hit back at what it felt were "unfounded accusations".

  • Klopp: Liverpool still searching in transfer market but cannot spend crazy money Klopp: Liverpool still searching in transfer market but cannot spend crazy money

    Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool are still working on making new signings but are unable to spend "crazy money" on arrivals.

    Liverpool invested heavily in their squad during 2018 by signing Virgil van Dijk, Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri.

    Ahead of the 2019-20 season, though, the Reds have only brought in teenage defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle.

    Lille forward Nicolas Pepe is reportedly a transfer target for the Anfield club as they seek reinforcements after winning last season's Champions League but Klopp indicated it might not be possible to strengthen his squad.

    "It's not easy," Klopp told the Liverpool Echo. "I said last year that to improve the team is not easy with reasonable money. With crazy money, you always can do it – okay, you pay whatever you want, then it's possible.

    "We are not a club like that. We cannot do that. We are really wealthy but we cannot do what some other teams are doing. That's how it is.

    "But we don't have to. We have to find solutions during the season. Yes, you find sometimes the solution in the transfer market and we have done that. I don't have to name the players, everybody knows. But otherwise you have to find the solutions on the training ground and that's what we do now.

    "We are still looking, but it will not be the [biggest] transfer window of LFC. It just will be a transfer window. We will see what we do, and if we haven't done anything by the end it will be for different reasons.

    "It's about using this team. In the transfer window, you have to build a team that you think you want to go into the season with. But I have that team already. If we can bring somebody else in that makes it even better, we will see. But if not, this team is already there. And again we will have to find solutions at different moments."

    Liverpool also confirmed the injury sustained by Yasser Larouci in a feisty pre-season friendly against Sevilla is not thought to be serious.

    Larouci was caught by a wild tackle from defender Joris Gnagnon, who was sent off for the challenge and later apologised on social media.

    A Liverpool statement said: "Larouci has suffered heavy bruising in his femur bone and the club's medical team will continue to monitor the injury as it settles. However, the Reds are optimistic the 18-year-old will only be ruled out for no more than a matter of weeks."

    Liverpool continue their preparations for the new Premier League season by taking on Sporting CP at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday.

  • Sarri tells Juventus players to adapt to game-changer Ronaldo Sarri tells Juventus players to adapt to game-changer Ronaldo

    Maurizio Sarri has told his Juventus squad they must adapt to Cristiano Ronaldo's game after hailing him as the "player who makes the difference".

    The Portugal international plundered 28 goals in his debut campaign for the Bianconeri following his move from Real Madrid, guiding them to an eighth successive Serie A title.

    He picked up where he left off in Juve's first pre-season game ahead of the 2019-20 season on Sunday, scoring a typically clinical goal in his side's 3-2 International Champions Cup (ICC) defeat to Tottenham.

    Speaking ahead of an ICC clash against Italian rivals Inter on Wednesday, head coach Sarri made it clear Ronaldo will be the focal point of his side in the forthcoming campaign.

    "He will be the player who will make the difference for us so the other 10 will have to adapt to him," Sarri told a media conference.

    "During this tour he will play mostly as a left offensive striker, knowing very well he likes to move more central next to the other striker.

    "As a team we have to be quick to adapt to his movements since he is capable of making the difference and he will do it for sure. In the first game, he scored and had a further couple of chances."

    The defeat to Tottenham also saw the debut of Matthijs de Ligt, the new signing from Ajax who arrived last week for an initial fee of €75million.

    Sarri described the 19-year-old as a "phenomenal prospect" but would not be drawn on whether he will command an immediate place in his preferred starting XI.

    "De Ligt is a phenomenal prospect," Sarri said. "He is a 19-year-old kid who has already been captain in an important club like Ajax so he is an important prospect.

    "I don’t know whether he will stay on the bench or not. If not, on the bench there will be other important defenders like [Leonardo] Bonucci, [Giorgio] Chiellini and [Daniele] Rugani."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.