Iker Casillas denies retirement reports again

By Sports Desk June 13, 2019

Iker Casillas has denied fresh reports he is retiring from football after he suffered a heart attack during training with Porto last month.

The Real Madrid and Spain great had a myocardial infarction on May 1 and underwent emergency surgery before returning home five days later.

Reports in Portugal claimed Casillas will announce his retirement on Thursday, with the goalkeeper said to be taking up a role on Porto's board of directors.

But the 38-year-old indicated the media have jumped the gun, because he is yet to be told by medical experts whether he has recovered enough to play football again.

"The same as this tweet a month ago, except for the part of the medical check with the doctor," Casillas wrote on Twitter, referencing a previous retirement denial.

"More than anything because I have it tomorrow."

Casillas came through Madrid's academy and established himself in their first team as a teenager, going on to play 725 times for the club in all competitions, a total bettered only by striker Raul (741).

He won every trophy possible with Los Blancos, including three Champions League crowns and five LaLiga titles, and was also a part of the historic Spain team that won the country's first World Cup in 2010 and ended a 44-year wait for European Championship success two years earlier.

The keeper, who went on to win Euro 2012 and is regarded among the finest of his generation, remains Spain's all-time leading appearance maker with 167 caps, though Sergio Ramos will likely overtake him soon.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Juventus to offer three players in move for Pogba Rumour Has It: Juventus to offer three players in move for Pogba

    Maybe Juventus are not ready to give up on signing Manchester United star Paul Pogba just yet.

    Pogba, 26, has been linked with a return to Turin and a move to Real Madrid as he looks for an Old Trafford exit.

    But, just as it looked like Juve were struggling and Madrid was the midfielder's most likely destination, that may have changed.

     

    TOP STORY – JUVE TO OFFER THREE PLAYERS IN MOVE FOR POGBA

    Juventus could offer a fee plus three players in their move for Manchester United star Pogba, according to Corriere dello Sport.

    Full-back Joao Cancelo, attacker Douglas Costa and midfielder Blaise Matuidi are the players mentioned for potential moves in the report.

    Meanwhile, ESPN FC report Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told coach Zinedine Zidane that it will be very difficult to sign Pogba this close season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona are still trying to find a way to bring Neymar back to Camp Nou from Paris Saint-Germain. According to Sky Germany, Barca are offering €100million plus two players, having given PSG a list of six that includes Philippe Coutinho, Ousmane Dembele, Ivan Rakitic, Nelson Semedo and Malcom. That is up from the earlier offer of €40m plus two players. According to Sport, Barca have made Coutinho and Rakitic priorities to be sold.

    - After being linked to Bayern Munich, Callum Hudson-Odoi is set to re-sign with Chelsea. The Daily Mail report the 18-year-old England international will sign a five-year deal worth more than £100,000 per week to stay at Stamford Bridge.

    - Giovani Lo Celso apparently wants to join Tottenham, but Spurs are unwilling to meet Real Betis' £60m (€66.8m) asking price, according to The Sun, who say Erik Lamela could be added into a deal. Danny Rose could also reportedly leave Spurs and Sky Sports say PSG are interested in the left-back.

    - Arsenal have beaten their north London rivals to the signing of Saint-Etienne defender William Saliba, according to ESPN FC. Arsenal will complete the signing of Saliba for £26.9m (€30m) and loan him back to the Ligue 1 club despite late interest from Spurs, the report says.

    - Another reported Arsenal target, Wilfried Zaha, has told Crystal Palace he wants to leave, according to The Sun. Arsenal have reportedly had a £40m bid for the attacker rejected.

    - Bayern Munich are ready to meet Celta Vigo midfielder Brais Mendez's €25m release clause, according to Kicker. Mendez, 22, was handed a Spain debut late last year and scored six goals while providing seven assists for Celta in LaLiga in 2018-19.

  • Dominica's 1-1 draw with Jamaica not surprising - Lance Whittaker Dominica's 1-1 draw with Jamaica not surprising - Lance Whittaker

    Jamaica drew with Dominica and Lance Whittaker believes the home team are in trouble with talented 'smaller' nations.

  • St. Kitts and Nevis bow into Olympic qualifiers a confident bunch St. Kitts and Nevis bow into Olympic qualifiers a confident bunch

    Following Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw between Jamaica and Dominica, there is growing confidence within the St. Kitts and Nevis squad competing in the preliminary round of the men’s Olympic qualifying in Kingston.

    Following two weeks of solid preparations, which ended with a 1-1 draw in a practice match against Antigua and Barbuda.

    With the preparation behind them and having seen their opponents at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex on Wednesday, St. Kitts and Nevis believe their chances are good.

    “From last night I feel we can match any team in this tournament,” said 21-year-old Yohannes Mitchum who just completed his contract with Puebla U23 in Mexico. “I am very confident that we can top the group.”

    Team manager, Jamir Claxton, said his central midfielder’s confidence is not misplaced.

    “We are very confident. This team is a very talented team that has been playing together for a number of years,” he said.

    “In fact, the core of this team has been together from the 2017 CONCACAF U20 championships, plus some players from the last CONCACAF U20 tournament.

    “Preparations have been going well. The majority of the players are playing in St. Kitts so there was no problem getting them together. Over the last two weeks, we had two overseas-based players join us.”

    Besides Mitchum, the team boasts game-changing talent in several other positions as well. Midfielder Tyreese Shade suits up for Leicester City’s U21 team in the United Kingdom, Tahir Harley, a forward who plays for Village Superstars in the St. Kitts and Nevis Premier League and forward G’Vaune Amory will make life difficult for Jamaica and Dominica.

    Success in the qualification process and the ultimate qualification for the 2020 Olympics would be an occasion for his country to savour.

    “It would be a historic feat. It would mean a lot to the people of St.Kitts. This team is representative of our people,” Claxton said.

     “We are a small nation but we are always aiming for the stars to achieve an objective of that nature would bring joy, happiness and pride to the people of St. Kitts and Nevis.”

    St. Kitts plays Dominica at 4:00 pm (5:00 pm ECT) Friday at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex.

     

     

     

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.