Champions League reform required to 'keep football alive'

By Sports Desk June 07, 2019

UEFA's strongest sides must consider reforms to the Champions League to help address the imbalances with the current system, according to the European Clubs Association (ECA).

The ECA, spearheaded by Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, is pushing to revamp the structure of continental club competitions, with proposed changes reportedly including promotion and relegation.

Preliminary discussions with UEFA have taken place but the ECA's attempted overhaul has been met with considerable opposition.

LaLiga and the Premier League have made clear their disapproval at the plan, while the European Leagues - a representative body - claim only a "few rich and dominant clubs" would see the benefits.

However, ECA vice-chairman Aki Riihilahti disputed that view.

"The current system doesn't work for most sides, and if we want to keep professional and grassroots football alive, we have to take into consideration the different local situations, whilst at the same time developing it at higher levels," said Riihilahti.

"Playing in more relevant competitions would help the growth of minor leagues."

Chairman Agnelli insisted that changes are a long way from coming to fruition, yet he claimed to have "swept away the concerns" of some clubs who attended a two-day summit in Malta.

"There are several problems for which we must find a solution and to do so we must put ourselves in the shoes of others and have an overall vision of European football," Agnelli said.

"We are at the beginning of a long process, but what matters is that the clubs have shown a willingness to engage positively and with intellectual honesty, in order to address the reform of European football in the best way.

"In September, in Nyon, we will share our points of view and many things will still need to be discussed, but we are open to a transparent conversation and we want the satisfaction of all European football, not just some clubs."

Former Manchester United goalkeeper and Ajax CEO Edwin van der Sar added: "Not everyone was born in Manchester or London.

"We must also find a way for those who come from leagues, such as Poland, Portugal, Greece, Turkey and Holland to grow at a European level."

Related items

  • Gremio 0-1 Palmeiras: Scarpa stunner lifts Scolari's men Gremio 0-1 Palmeiras: Scarpa stunner lifts Scolari's men

    A spectacular goal from Gustavo Scarpa saw Palmeiras edge Gremio 1-0 in the first leg of their Copa Libertadores quarter-final on Tuesday.

    Scarpa produced a tremendous 30-yard strike to give Palmeiras an away win in Porto Alegre, where Felipe Melo was sent off in the second half for the visitors.

    Still, the moment of brilliance from Scarpa was enough for Luiz Felipe Scolari's men to take an advantage into the return leg.

    Scarpa drilled a left-footed rocket past Gremio goalkeeper Paulo Victor and in via the underside of the crossbar in the 31st minute.

    Both teams had their chances in the second half, with Dudu twice going close for Palmeiras, including hitting the outside of the post.

    Former Juventus midfielder Melo was shown a second yellow card in the 77th minute, the 36-year-old reduced to tears after being sent off.

    However, Palmeiras sat deep in the closing stages, holding out Gremio to secure their victory.

  • Ronaldo: Maybe I'll retire next year, or I could play into my 40s Ronaldo: Maybe I'll retire next year, or I could play into my 40s

    Juventus and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo remains unsure when he will retire, saying it could be as soon as next year or he could play into his 40s.

    Ronaldo, 34, has continued to star after joining Juve last year, scoring 28 goals in 43 games in all competitions and helping the Italian giants win another Serie A title in 2018-19.

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner is uncertain when he will stop playing, although the star forward said it may not be far away.

    "I don't think about that," Ronaldo told TVI on Tuesday.

    "Maybe I can leave my career next year … but I can also play up to 40 or 41.

    "I don't know. What I always say is to enjoy the moment. The gift is excellent and I have to continue to enjoy it."

    Along with numerous individual honours, Ronaldo has won a record five Champions League titles (four with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United), three Premier League crowns and two LaLiga trophies.

    Ronaldo wants to make history and is seemingly motivated by setting records.

    "Are there any soccer players who have more records than me?" he asked.

    "I don't think there are any footballers who have more records than me."

    Ronaldo's Juventus begin their Serie A campaign with a trip to Parma on Saturday.

  • Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent

    Ousmane Dembele is certain to remain with Barcelona despite interest from elsewhere, according to his agent.

    Dembele, 22, has been linked with a move away from the LaLiga champions amid reports he could be included in a deal that would see Barca sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, the France attacker's agent, Moussa Sissoko, said Dembele would stay at Barcelona.

    "Evolving in a club as prestigious and ambitious as FC Barcelona involves a competition that will advance and sublimate any player," Sissoko said in a widely reported statement on Tuesday.

    "In any case, it is the point of view rooted in Ousmane's mind. He is Barcelona and he will remain 1,000 per cent with the firm desire to honour the colours of the club."

    Dembele is set to miss five weeks for Barcelona – who suffered a 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao on Friday – after straining his left hamstring.

    Injuries hampered Dembele's first season at the club after a €105million move from Borussia Dortmund in August 2017, while he scored 14 goals in 42 games in 2018-19.

    However, Dembele is still hungry to deliver for Barcelona despite his injury woes, his agent said.

    "I wanted to clarify firmly and definitively the situation of Ousmane Dembele. He does not plan to leave FC Barcelona for a moment," Sissoko said.

    "This is the course of action fixed for several months now and no element is or will be likely to cause us to deviate. Ousmane feels perfectly well within the club and he remains in his determination to impose himself in the long term.

    "Despite the solicitations of several great European clubs, Ousmane is convinced to be in the heart of the largest of them and everything is there to make it flourish.

    "Ousmane is aware of what he has to do on a daily basis to make his Barcelona adventure a complete success. Unfortunately, his injury temporarily stops him in his motivation to make a great and beautiful season, symbolised by its anticipated recovery of a week.

    "But this has no impact on his thirst for success and he is confident to return as soon as possible."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.