We're not going away – Van Dijk wants more after Champions League win

By Sports Desk June 02, 2019

Virgil van Dijk wants to see Liverpool push on from their Champions League success by challenging for more trophies next season.

Liverpool secured their first trophy since 2012 by beating Tottenham 2-0 in the Champions League final in Madrid on Saturday.

The Reds were close to a drought-breaking Premier League title, but fell just short to Manchester City despite securing 97 points.

Van Dijk, the PFA Players' Player of the Year, hopes the win in Europe can lead to even further success for Liverpool.

"It's not like we're going away," the star centre-back told UK newspapers.

"In July it starts again. We're going to try everything we can to be challenging for the title, challenging for the Champions League but also for the cups.

"We definitely want to have these nights more often."

Despite an incredible season, Liverpool went into the decider against Spurs at risk of finishing the campaign without a trophy.

Van Dijk, 27, said there was no doubt his team deserved some silverware this season.

"If we didn't get anything this season we would definitely have been disappointed because of the way we played throughout the whole season. We deserved something," he said.

"But to be able to win the Champions League, the biggest club competition in football, is something special.

"To write history for this group of players, the staff, all the fans, and everyone who was involved, is something to be proud of."

Related items

  • Lampard wants Zouma to stay at Chelsea Lampard wants Zouma to stay at Chelsea

    Frank Lampard intends to keep Kurt Zouma at Chelsea despite Everton's interest in the defender.

    Zouma made 32 Premier League appearances during a loan spell at Goodison Park last term and the Toffees are reportedly keen to seal a permanent deal for the 24-year-old.

    But after Zouma started Friday's friendly defeat to Kawasaki Frontale in Yokohama, Lampard said he wants the France international to remain at Stamford Bridge.

    "In terms of Kurt Zouma, he's a very good defender for us, very good player, very good person and professional," Lampard told a news conference. 

    "I want him here, simple as that. We are competitive with the centre-backs we have in the team and he had a very good season at Everton and I can understand why they want him. He's a Chelsea player and I want him."

    Chelsea's transfer ban means they cannot sign new players but Christian Pulisic made his first appearance for the club against Frontale, who won 1-0 thanks to a late Leandro Damiao header.

    Kenedy and Mason Mount also featured in the J.League World Challenge clash as Lampard continues to examine his options ahead of the transfer window closing next month.

    "In terms of Kenedy, my feeling coming into a big squad with a transfer ban was that I need to assess the players for as long as I can in pre-season to make sure we pick a squad with me having had good eyes on them in training and in games," added Lampard, who coached Mount at Derby County last term.

    "I thought Mason's performance was really good and it was a continuation of how he played for me last year and how he's trained for me since last Friday as he's not been with us long, but his energy and his quality…Mason's part of the first-team squad this year and it's time for him."

    Pulisic's Blues debut also impressed Lampard, who tasted defeat for the first time in his third game in charge since succeeding Maurizio Sarri.

    "He has been here a couple of days really in terms of training, so I have been really impressed," Lampard said of the United States international. "He's comfortable on the ball and I think he should have had a penalty towards the end of the game.

    "He wants to try to take people on, he's the sort of player the fans are going to like so we have to give him a little bit of time to adapt slightly. But the way he has trained, the way he has come in with his personality looks great so I am really pleased to have him."

  • Longstaff flattered by Manchester United interest Longstaff flattered by Manchester United interest

    Sean Longstaff has admitted to being flattered by interest from Manchester United following a whirlwind rise to prominence at Newcastle United.

    The 21-year-old midfielder broke into the first team at St James' Park in January and made nine promising Premier League appearances before a serious knee injury ended his breakthrough campaign.

    Manchester United took note and are reportedly weighing up whether to meet Newcastle's lofty transfer demands.

    For his part, midfielder Longstaff is content just to enjoy the ride as he sets out to impress new Magpies head coach Steve Bruce.

    "If somebody had said to me a year ago I would be in this position, I would probably have laughed at them," Longstaff told the Chronicle.

    "This time last year I was deciding whether to go to League One on loan. A year on, you are seeing your name linked with one of the biggest clubs in the world.

    "For me, it is all a positive really. It gives you even more confidence. When I was in [the team] for a short amount of time people took notice of me. It is flattering but my job is at Newcastle.

    "The new boss is coming in and it's a clean slate for everybody – including me."

    Manchester United have signed Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James since the end of last season and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made no secret of his desire to add further reinforcements.

    Longstaff and Leicester City centre-back Harry Maguire are reported to rank highly on the Norwegian's wish-list.

    "As I've said and answered a few times, we're working on one or two cases," Solskjaer said in Singapore, where the Red Devils are preparing for an International Champions Cup clash against Inter.

    "But obviously my objective now when I'm here is to get ready for the games and training sessions.

    "We're working on putting a squad together that can compete. Of course we have some youngsters but we have loads of players that can play and loads of ways we can play."

  • Chelsea beaten by Kawasaki Frontale in Lampard's third game Chelsea beaten by Kawasaki Frontale in Lampard's third game

    Frank Lampard tasted defeat for the first time as Chelsea head coach as his side went down 1-0 to Kawasaki Frontale.

    After games against Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic in Ireland, Chelsea headed to Japan for the J.League World Challenge.

    But they slipped to a late loss with former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao on target for Kawasaki Frontale.

    Next up for the Blues will be Barcelona in Saitama on Tuesday with Lampard's first Premier League game in charge coming against Manchester United on August 11.

    Pedro failed to make the most of two opportunities in the first half-hour as Chelsea toiled in humid conditions in Yokohama.

    Mason Mount then curled an effort just wide after Lampard made five changes to his side at the half-time interval.

    The J.League side continued to keep Chelsea at bay, goalkeeper Shota Arai quickly off his line to deny Kenedy after Ross Barkley's pass split the defence.

    David Luiz hit a free-kick into the wall before Olivier Giroud's set piece called Arai into action again, the goalkeeper making a smart save low to his left.

    Giroud had a late header saved by Arai and Damiao got above Davide Zappacosta but saw his effort come back off the crossbar in a frantic finale.

    There was still time for Kawasaki Frontale to win it at the death, Damiao arriving at the back post to nod beyond Willy Caballero and secure a famous victory.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.