Fabregas pays tribute to 'first great friend' Reyes

By Sports Desk June 01, 2019

Cesc Fabregas described Jose Antonio Reyes as "one of the great talents in football" in an emotional tribute to his former Arsenal and Spain team-mate, who was killed in a traffic accident on Saturday.

The pair won an FA Cup during their time together at Arsenal and Fabregas opened up about the important role Reyes played in his career as a young player.

Reyes arrived in North London in January 2004, by which time the 16-year-old Fabregas had been at Arsenal for four months, and he scored two goals in 13 Premier League appearances as Arsene Wenger's unbeaten side won the title.

Fabregas wrote a touching tribute on Instagram, which read: "My first great friend in the world of professional football, my room-mate, who always wanted to sleep with the air conditioning even at minus 10 degrees.

"A humble guy who always had a smile on his face, great footballer and great person. I could not wake up today in a worse way.

"I will never forget when you and your family welcomed me at your home in my first Christmas in England when I was alone and 16-years-old.

"Our connection in the field was also special, since it was always easy to find you between the lines so you could make the difference.

"I always say that you have been one of the greatest talents in football and I know that I am not wrong. Two days ago I was talking about you in an interview, it might be a sign, who knows, to remember you, my great friend."

Players and coaches throughout the football world joined Fabregas in mourning, including former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

In a tweet posted by Arsenal's official account, Wenger said: "I am devastated to hear the terrible news about Jose.

"To his family and friends, all support from everyone in the Arsenal family. He will remain forever in our hearts."

Sevilla sporting director Monchi, who helped discover Reyes, described the winger's importance at Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, telling SFC Radio: "He was the most innate talent that came out of the academy.

"Not needing to improve on anything, he was already good, and what's more, with his sale he allowed the club to grow, and then he came back to win another three titles.

"He is Sevilla history.

"I've been numb since the chairman called me, trying to wake up from what I want to be a nightmare but tragically seems to be real."

Related items

  • T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier

    Trinidad and Tobago national under 15 team coach Stuart Charles Fevrier has called on the TTFA to secure more matches with Central American opponents in order to close the gap between the twin-island republic and CONCACAF’s top teams.

    The recently concluded TTFA Youth Invitational football tournament proved to be a chastening experience for the national team.  The young Trinidadians lost matches to Panama, Venezuela, and Mexico. 

    The match-up with the Panamanians was closely contested with T&T losing 5-4 by the odd goal, the team, however, went on to lose 4-0 and 4-1 to Venezuela and Mexico respectively.

    With the tournament serving as a warm-up for the CONCACAF Under-15 Championship in August, the gulf in quality has proven to be a concern.

    “We need to play more Central American and North American teams instead of Caribbean teams.  It’s not that we can’t play Caribbean teams, we are from the Caribbean region but I believe now we have to focus a lot more on the Central American and North American teams.  If we are to qualify for any major competition these are the teams we have to beat,” Fevrier said.

    “Playing against Caribbean teams is a lower level obviously because when you watched the level of football tonight (against Mexico) for me it was very high,” he added.

    “In the last 10 minutes they were still going, it was nothing for them.  They already have a professional mentality and our boys are still playing college football.”

  • Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing

    Newcastle United have smashed their club transfer record to bring in striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim, boosting Steve Bruce's short-staffed front line.

    The Brazilian forward has signed a six-year deal at St James' Park and is said to have cost in the region of £40million (€44.6m).

    The transfer surpasses the £20.5m Newcastle spent to secure Miguel Almiron earlier this year, that fee having finally topped their long-standing record figure of £16.5m, paid for Michael Owen in 2005.

    Joelinton, 22, scored 11 goals in all competitions for Hoffenheim last term, starring after spending the previous two years out on loan at Rapid Vienna.

    "I’m really happy to be here," he told Newcastle's official website. "I know it's a large investment that the club has made in me and that comes with a huge responsibility.

    "I'm highly motivated and hope to give back on the pitch."

    Bruce, confirmed as Newcastle's new head coach last week, had earlier told the club's official website they were "working on" bringing in attacking players.

    "The kid’s got an exciting time ahead of him. He’s a smashing young player and we're obviously delighted to get him," Bruce said.

    "It's been going on for a little bit now, so to get him is great for everybody.

    "He's got everything that a modern-day player wants. He's big, strong and athletic, and of course he’s got age on his side too which is vitally important."

    Since the end of last season, the Magpies have seen Salomon Rondon go to Dalian Yifang after a productive spell on loan from West Brom, top scorer Ayoze Perez join Leicester City and fringe striker Joselu return to Spain with Deportivo Alaves.

    With Dwight Gayle out injured, Yoshinori Muto and teenager Elias Sorensen shared striking duties during last week's opening pre-season defeat to Wolves in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

    Muto then scored the only goal of the game against West Ham in Bruce's first win on Saturday.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing BREAKING NEWS: Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing

    Newcastle United have smashed their club transfer record to bring in striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim, boosting Steve Bruce's short-staffed front line.

    The Brazilian forward has signed a six-year deal at St James' Park and is said to have cost in the region of £40million (€44.6m) and £47.6m (€53m).

    The transfer surpasses the £20.5m Newcastle spent to secure Miguel Almiron earlier this year, that fee having finally topped their long-standing record figure of £16.5m, paid for Michael Owen in 2005.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.