Pochettino fears Kane call could decide Champions League final

By Sports Desk May 26, 2019

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino admits a call over whether to start Harry Kane in the Champions League final could prove decisive to their hopes of beating Liverpool.

England captain Kane has not featured for Spurs since suffering ankle ligament damage in the first leg of the quarter-final triumph over Manchester City on April 9.

The striker has resumed training and Pochettino hopes he will be fit enough to be involved in Madrid on June 1, along with team-mates Harry Winks, Davinson Sanchez and Jan Vertonghen.

However, he concedes he is likely to live or die by whatever decision he makes regarding Kane and the starting line-up.

"We are happy," Pochettino said about Kane's fitness, as per the Observer. "Whether to start him is a point we're thinking about a lot. It is a decision that, one way or the other, will be judged after the game.

"If we win: fantastic decision. If we lose: s*** decision, and you are going to kill me.

"We are working that everyone will be available to play and, at the moment, Harry is on course. Harry, Davinson, Harry Winks and Jan – the evolution today is very good. And then it's going to be our decision to see if they will be available from the beginning."

Pochettino was emotional after each of Spurs' dramatic victories over City and Ajax in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, something he says is no surprise to those who know him best.

"My mother said to me, 'You are a llorona' – a person who cries often and a lot," he said. "My mum and my two brothers are different, and my dad is more strong. I am strong but very emotional and I cry.

"Maybe I listen to some music in my car, it translates to some moment in my life and I start to cry. When I arrive home, my wife says, 'What happened?' I say, 'I was listening to some music that translated to a moment 30 years ago in Argentina!' And she will say, 'You are crazy.'"

But Pochettino is acutely aware of the importance of managing the emotion of the occasion when Spurs and Liverpool walk out onto the Wanda Metropolitano pitch.

"What I learned from playing the 1992 Copa Libertadores semi-final and final with Newell's Old Boys was that your emotional state is decisive," he added. "It's not tactics, it's not physicality. It's about how the emotion will be the trigger for your talent, how you manage it."

Related items

  • Gremio 0-1 Palmeiras: Scarpa stunner lifts Scolari's men Gremio 0-1 Palmeiras: Scarpa stunner lifts Scolari's men

    A spectacular goal from Gustavo Scarpa saw Palmeiras edge Gremio 1-0 in the first leg of their Copa Libertadores quarter-final on Tuesday.

    Scarpa produced a tremendous 30-yard strike to give Palmeiras an away win in Porto Alegre, where Felipe Melo was sent off in the second half for the visitors.

    Still, the moment of brilliance from Scarpa was enough for Luiz Felipe Scolari's men to take an advantage into the return leg.

    Scarpa drilled a left-footed rocket past Gremio goalkeeper Paulo Victor and in via the underside of the crossbar in the 31st minute.

    Both teams had their chances in the second half, with Dudu twice going close for Palmeiras, including hitting the outside of the post.

    Former Juventus midfielder Melo was shown a second yellow card in the 77th minute, the 36-year-old reduced to tears after being sent off.

    However, Palmeiras sat deep in the closing stages, holding out Gremio to secure their victory.

  • Ronaldo: Maybe I'll retire next year, or I could play into my 40s Ronaldo: Maybe I'll retire next year, or I could play into my 40s

    Juventus and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo remains unsure when he will retire, saying it could be as soon as next year or he could play into his 40s.

    Ronaldo, 34, has continued to star after joining Juve last year, scoring 28 goals in 43 games in all competitions and helping the Italian giants win another Serie A title in 2018-19.

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner is uncertain when he will stop playing, although the star forward said it may not be far away.

    "I don't think about that," Ronaldo told TVI on Tuesday.

    "Maybe I can leave my career next year … but I can also play up to 40 or 41.

    "I don't know. What I always say is to enjoy the moment. The gift is excellent and I have to continue to enjoy it."

    Along with numerous individual honours, Ronaldo has won a record five Champions League titles (four with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United), three Premier League crowns and two LaLiga trophies.

    Ronaldo wants to make history and is seemingly motivated by setting records.

    "Are there any soccer players who have more records than me?" he asked.

    "I don't think there are any footballers who have more records than me."

    Ronaldo's Juventus begin their Serie A campaign with a trip to Parma on Saturday.

  • Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent

    Ousmane Dembele is certain to remain with Barcelona despite interest from elsewhere, according to his agent.

    Dembele, 22, has been linked with a move away from the LaLiga champions amid reports he could be included in a deal that would see Barca sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, the France attacker's agent, Moussa Sissoko, said Dembele would stay at Barcelona.

    "Evolving in a club as prestigious and ambitious as FC Barcelona involves a competition that will advance and sublimate any player," Sissoko said in a widely reported statement on Tuesday.

    "In any case, it is the point of view rooted in Ousmane's mind. He is Barcelona and he will remain 1,000 per cent with the firm desire to honour the colours of the club."

    Dembele is set to miss five weeks for Barcelona – who suffered a 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao on Friday – after straining his left hamstring.

    Injuries hampered Dembele's first season at the club after a €105million move from Borussia Dortmund in August 2017, while he scored 14 goals in 42 games in 2018-19.

    However, Dembele is still hungry to deliver for Barcelona despite his injury woes, his agent said.

    "I wanted to clarify firmly and definitively the situation of Ousmane Dembele. He does not plan to leave FC Barcelona for a moment," Sissoko said.

    "This is the course of action fixed for several months now and no element is or will be likely to cause us to deviate. Ousmane feels perfectly well within the club and he remains in his determination to impose himself in the long term.

    "Despite the solicitations of several great European clubs, Ousmane is convinced to be in the heart of the largest of them and everything is there to make it flourish.

    "Ousmane is aware of what he has to do on a daily basis to make his Barcelona adventure a complete success. Unfortunately, his injury temporarily stops him in his motivation to make a great and beautiful season, symbolised by its anticipated recovery of a week.

    "But this has no impact on his thirst for success and he is confident to return as soon as possible."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.