He's a winner - Mourinho has no doubts over Cech's commitment amid Chelsea links

By Sports Desk May 24, 2019

Jose Mourinho believes Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech would have chosen to bow out in a game against Chelsea and will be determined to beat his old club in the Europa League final, despite being linked with a return to Stamford Bridge.

Cech, 37, has already confirmed he will retire after next week's final against the Blues, when the Czech will hope to feature having played the majority of the Gunners' Europa League matches this term.

Reports have suggested Cech has already agreed to become Chelsea's sporting director for next season, though the player himself denied that is the case on social media.

Yet even if a return to west London is on the cards after the final, his former Chelsea boss Mourinho is confident there will be no split loyalties in Baku.

"It is Petr Cech's last football match - I think it's the match that he would choose," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"If he could choose a match to retire, I think this would be the match.

"It looks like he goes home next season - home [is] Chelsea.

"I think of course he would love to do it in a winning way because he's a winner, he won so many things."

Another player who could make his final appearance for his current club is Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard.

The Belgian, who won a Premier League title under Mourinho in 2014-15, has long been linked with a move to LaLiga giants Real Madrid.

And although it may be his Chelsea farewell, Mourinho does not believe it will impact Hazard's performance.

"It looks like it's the last match in blue for Eden Hazard, a player that was crucial for Chelsea's success in this last generation," the Portuguese added.

"I think Eden will try to be what he is the majority of the time, a fantastic player on the pitch, and win and go possibly - I don't want to say more than possibly - to Real Madrid with a last trophy for Chelsea."

Related items

  • Henderson pays tribute to returning Liverpool star Oxlade-Chamberlain Henderson pays tribute to returning Liverpool star Oxlade-Chamberlain

    Jordan Henderson hailed the off-field influence of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain when the midfielder was injured and predicts he will be "like a new signing" for Liverpool in the new season.

    England international Oxlade-Chamberlain suffered a serious knee injury at the end of the 2017-18 campaign and missed most of the following season.

    In 2018-19, the 25-year-old was only able to return for the final few weeks as he made two substitute appearances amounting to 19 minutes of action.

    However, he has been fully involved in pre-season training in recent weeks and club captain Henderson has his fingers crossed for the former Arsenal man.

    "I'm quite close to him. He's a fantastic person off the field," Henderson said in a news conference on Thursday.

    "I'm sure he'll have been going through some painful times [but] he was always positive, always happy around the team, always there to support us when we needed him.

    "He was a massive part for us off the field last season. This season I hope he's a massive part on the field as well and shows everyone what he's capable of like he did before he got injured.

    "This pre-season is important for him to get back to playing games regularly, to get his match fitness back, and I'm sure once he does that he'll be flying again.

    "He's like a new signing for us. He's a fantastic player, so powerful and he gives us something different in this team. Hopefully he can stay injury-free for a while now."

  • Bologna coach Mihajlovic begins leukaemia treatment Bologna coach Mihajlovic begins leukaemia treatment

    Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has started chemotherapy following his leukaemia diagnosis.

    The 50-year-old announced at a news conference on Saturday he had been diagnosed with cancer.

    However, Mihajlovic confirmed he is to remain in charge at the club regardless.

    Former Yugoslavia international Mihajlovic began receiving treatment on Thursday, with the club informing supporters the coach is in "daily" contact with his colleagues.

    A statement from Bologna read: "Three days after the admission of Sinisa Mihajlovic to the haematology department of the Istituto Seragnoli of the Policlinico Sant'Orsola, the typing of the disease was concluded: it is a mainly myeloid acute leukaemia.

    "Mihajlovic started the chemotherapy treatment today [Thursday]. Despite the tests and treatments, the technician is in direct daily contact with his colleagues in Castelrotto [Bologna's base]."

  • Steve Bruce: I'm not Rafael Benitez but I'll give everything for Newcastle Steve Bruce: I'm not Rafael Benitez but I'll give everything for Newcastle

    Newcastle United head coach Steve Bruce understands he will be viewed as inferior to Rafael Benitez by many fans but has vowed to "give it everything" after taking charge of his boyhood club.

    Bruce resigned as manager of Sheffield Wednesday - who are now considering their legal options - and took charge at Newcastle this week, penning a three-year deal.

    The departure of the hugely popular Benitez, a Champions League winner with Liverpool, to Chinese club Dalian Yifang, has prompted swathes of Newcastle fans to call for a boycott of the first game of the season against Arsenal at St James' Park in protest at Mike Ashley's continued ownership.

    A reported 12,000 season tickets have been left unsold and the appointment of Bruce as Benitez's successor was met with derision by many.

    Despite the controversy, former Sunderland and Aston Villa boss Bruce was thrilled to be offered the chance to manage the club he grew up supporting, having rejected the job earlier in his career, and promised to do his best to fill the void left by Benitez.

    He told NUFC TV: "To be given the opportunity now, I'm like every other Geordie now, I've lived the dream, if you can't play for them then of course if you're a Geordie what better thing than to take the number one seat?

    "I'm delighted to be given the opportunity, I'll do my best, I know in some people's eyes I'm not Rafa and I understand there's big shoes to fill but believe me I'll give it everything I possibly can and hopefully prove the doubters wrong.

    "The easy thing for me would have been to say no, but at my stage in my career now - back a few years ago I regretted it - that regret lingered around me for years when Sir Bobby [Robson] left so to be given the opportunity again is something simply I had to take it.

    "I had to grasp it, I knew it was going to be difficult. I just hope that people show the respect which obviously you only gain by getting a few results and doing the job but hopefully that'll go hand in hand."

    Bruce confirmed Newcastle are working on bringing a striker in having seen last year's loan star Salomon Rondon reportedly agree to join Benitez in China and Ayoze Perez make a £30million move to Leicester City. 

    "Of course we're aware we've lost Rondon and Ayoze so we're short in that little area so we're working on that but the squad is littered with some very, very good players and that's why it's been able to stay in the Premier League," Bruce added. 

    "It's my job now to move us forward if we possibly can, I'll try my utmost to try and achieve that."

    Newcastle are reportedly in talks to sign Brazilian forward Joelinton from Bundesliga side Hoffenheim.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.