Pochettino or Sarri for Juve? We'll see – Lippi

By Sports Desk May 20, 2019

Former Juventus head coach Marcello Lippi hinted to Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino or Chelsea's Maurizio Sarri potentially replacing Massimiliano Allegri at the Serie A champions.

Allegri will leave Juventus after Sunday's trip to Sampdoria and five consecutive Scudetto titles, and talk about who will succeed the 51-year-old in Turin has dominated headlines.

Chelsea boss and former Napoli coach Sarri has been linked with a return to Italy after just one season in the Premier League, while Pochettino has emerged as a possible candidate among the likes of Simone Inzaghi and Antonio Conte.

Sarri and Pochettino will feature in upcoming European finals, with Chelsea to face Arsenal in the Europa League decider (May 29) and Tottenham set to meet Liverpool in the Champions League (June 1) showpiece.

And Lippi – who led Juventus to five Serie A trophies during his time in charge – alluded a coaching announcement could come after the two finals.

"Why hasn't a well-run club like Juventus named the successor to Allegri yet, well it's a difficult decision to make, but perhaps they are waiting for a certain competition to end," the 71-year-old said.

"We'll see if their new coach comes from those involved in either of the all English Finals, then we will understand the reason for the delay of the announcement.

"This year the English clubs are the best in Europe, but these things go in cycles. I think Sarri has a great chance at winning the Europa League, then there is Pochettino whose family is from Piedmont."

Juventus – 11 points clear of Napoli atop the table – drew 1-1 with Atalanta in Allegri's final home match in charge of the club last week.

Related items

  • Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent

    Ousmane Dembele is certain to remain with Barcelona despite interest from elsewhere, according to his agent.

    Dembele, 22, has been linked with a move away from the LaLiga champions amid reports he could be included in a deal that would see Barca sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, the France attacker's agent, Moussa Sissoko, said Dembele would stay at Barcelona.

    "Evolving in a club as prestigious and ambitious as FC Barcelona involves a competition that will advance and sublimate any player," Sissoko said in a widely reported statement on Tuesday.

    "In any case, it is the point of view rooted in Ousmane's mind. He is Barcelona and he will remain 1,000 per cent with the firm desire to honour the colours of the club."

    Dembele is set to miss five weeks for Barcelona – who suffered a 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao on Friday – after straining his left hamstring.

    Injuries hampered Dembele's first season at the club after a €105million move from Borussia Dortmund in August 2017, while he scored 14 goals in 42 games in 2018-19.

    However, Dembele is still hungry to deliver for Barcelona despite his injury woes, his agent said.

    "I wanted to clarify firmly and definitively the situation of Ousmane Dembele. He does not plan to leave FC Barcelona for a moment," Sissoko said.

    "This is the course of action fixed for several months now and no element is or will be likely to cause us to deviate. Ousmane feels perfectly well within the club and he remains in his determination to impose himself in the long term.

    "Despite the solicitations of several great European clubs, Ousmane is convinced to be in the heart of the largest of them and everything is there to make it flourish.

    "Ousmane is aware of what he has to do on a daily basis to make his Barcelona adventure a complete success. Unfortunately, his injury temporarily stops him in his motivation to make a great and beautiful season, symbolised by its anticipated recovery of a week.

    "But this has no impact on his thirst for success and he is confident to return as soon as possible."

  • Ajax scrape goalless draw at APOEL in Champions League play-off Ajax scrape goalless draw at APOEL in Champions League play-off

    Ajax held on for a goalless draw at Cypriot club APOEL in the first leg of their Champions League play-off on Tuesday after going down to 10 men.

    Last season's Champions League semi-finalists named a strong starting XI that included several stars of their eye-catching 2018-19 campaign, such as David Neres, Hakim Ziyech and Donny van de Beek.

    But they produced a lacklustre and ill-disciplined performance, earning seven yellow cards and one red for Noussair Mazraoui.

    The Dutch side looked the better of the two teams in the first half, but their display was lacking the decisive touch in front of goal.

    After the break, APOEL began to offer more of a threat themselves and went agonisingly close in the 58th minute, when Giorgos Merkis' header hit the crossbar.

    Andre Onana was then forced to make a stunning save 11 minutes later, getting down to palm away a Lucas Souza effort that was destined for the bottom-right corner.

    Things got even more testing for Ajax towards the end when Mazraoui was shown a second yellow card for a needlessly clumsy tackle from behind, but they held on nonetheless.

    Ajax host APOEL in Amsterdam for the second leg next Wednesday.

    In the day's other play-off clashes, Slavia Prague and Club Brugge claimed 1-0 away wins at Cluj and LASK, respectively.

     

  • Championship Review: Sheffield Wednesday back on top, Middlesbrough get first win Championship Review: Sheffield Wednesday back on top, Middlesbrough get first win

    Sheffield Wednesday returned to the top of the Championship table thanks to a 1-0 win over struggling Luton Town, while Middlesbrough beat Wigan Athletic by the same scoreline for their first win of the campaign.

    Phillip Cocu suffered his first defeat in charge of Derby County as Bristol City held on to triumph 2-1 at Pride Park.

    Birmingham City turned it on in the final 21 minutes against visitors Barnsley, claiming a 2-0 victory to join six other teams on seven points.

    And Blackburn Rovers left Hull City with the points as the hosts were ultimately left to rue a missed penalty at the KC Stadium.

     

    BORO BOUNCE BACK

    Jonathan Woodgate's Boro have endured a difficult start to the campaign, failing to win any of their first four matches.

    But they got up and running with their first victory after they held off Wigan.

    Britt Assombalonga grabbed the decisive goal in the 23rd minute, powering home a header from Jonny Howson's cross.

    Wigan piled the pressure on towards the end, but Darren Randolph helped ensure the hosts clung on.

     

    OWLS SOAR BACK TO THE SUMMIT

    Wednesday fans were justifiably frustrated after Millwall ended their winning start to the season last time out, despite the Lions finding themselves reduced to 10 men in the first half.

    They were not exactly convincing upon their return to Hillsborough, with boos audible at half-time, but they got the job done to move top with nine points from four games despite not having a full-time manager in place.

    Kadeem Harris, who has impressed since joining on a free transfer from Cardiff City in July, scored the winner in the 54th minute, tapping in from close range.

    Promoted Luton finished the game with more shots than their hosts, but they ran out of steam in the second half after a solid showing before the interval.

     

    TIGERS RUE BOWEN MISS

    Jarrod Bowen caught the eye but failed to make the difference when given the opportunity as Blackburn beat Hull 1-0.

    The winger saw a 13th-minute penalty saved impressively by Christian Walton after Jackson Irvine had been fouled by Bradley Johnson, who had earlier hit the crossbar with a header.

    Kamil Grosicki then struck the post just past the half-hour mark, before Rovers' Stewart Downing fired against the frame of the goal twice not long before the interval.

    Eventually the breakthrough came, Derrick Williams nodding in before Rovers held on despite Hull's late onslaught.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.