Simeone 'proud' of departing quartet as Atletico prepare for new chapter

By Sports Desk May 18, 2019

Diego Simeone was "proud" of Atletico Madrid's departing players as he all but confirmed the end-of-season exits of full-backs Filipe Luis and Juanfran.

Atletico striker Antoine Griezmann had already confirmed on Tuesday that he intends to leave the Wanda Metropolitano ahead of next season amid rumoured interest from LaLiga rivals Barcelona.

Diego Godin is also on his way out, with Inter expected to be his next destination, while Filipe Luis and Juanfran do not appear likely to sign new contracts.

All four men played a full part in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Levante, giving Atletico's travelling supporters a chance to say what will likely be a final farewell, and they will each leave with Simeone's blessing.

"I am proud of the players who are leaving the club, as they have given us so much," he said at his post-match news conference. 

"The biggest thing that Filipe, Juanfran, Griezmann and Godin leave us is not trophies, but respect. In a sporting sense I love them so much."

Atletico found themselves 2-0 down at the Ciutat de Valencia and had Angel Correa dismissed early in the second half, but Rodrigo and debutant Sergio Camello struck to snatch the 10-man visitors a point.

Simeone praised the battling spirit shown by his players to avoid defeat in their final match of the season and insisted there is plenty of reason to be cheerful, despite the loss of some star names.

"In the first half, Levante perhaps were a bit more focused and took advantage of their set pieces and breaks," he said. "In the second half, despite Correa’s red card, the team answered as warriors, gladiators, people with pride. 

"There are young and motivated players coming through and that excites us greatly."

Camello became the first player born in the 21st century to score for Atletico in LaLiga, doing so from his first shot on target in the competition.

The 18-year-old forward, who replaced the ineffective Thomas Partey at half-time, is hopeful it is the first of many goals for the club.

"I tried to help the team and today I did just that," he told reporters after the match. "I’m deeply moved. I can score goals and I proved that today. I would like to become a legend at this club, like any kid, especially an Atleti fan. I’m very happy."

Related items

  • Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent Dembele is certain to stay at Barcelona – agent

    Ousmane Dembele is certain to remain with Barcelona despite interest from elsewhere, according to his agent.

    Dembele, 22, has been linked with a move away from the LaLiga champions amid reports he could be included in a deal that would see Barca sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, the France attacker's agent, Moussa Sissoko, said Dembele would stay at Barcelona.

    "Evolving in a club as prestigious and ambitious as FC Barcelona involves a competition that will advance and sublimate any player," Sissoko said in a widely reported statement on Tuesday.

    "In any case, it is the point of view rooted in Ousmane's mind. He is Barcelona and he will remain 1,000 per cent with the firm desire to honour the colours of the club."

    Dembele is set to miss five weeks for Barcelona – who suffered a 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao on Friday – after straining his left hamstring.

    Injuries hampered Dembele's first season at the club after a €105million move from Borussia Dortmund in August 2017, while he scored 14 goals in 42 games in 2018-19.

    However, Dembele is still hungry to deliver for Barcelona despite his injury woes, his agent said.

    "I wanted to clarify firmly and definitively the situation of Ousmane Dembele. He does not plan to leave FC Barcelona for a moment," Sissoko said.

    "This is the course of action fixed for several months now and no element is or will be likely to cause us to deviate. Ousmane feels perfectly well within the club and he remains in his determination to impose himself in the long term.

    "Despite the solicitations of several great European clubs, Ousmane is convinced to be in the heart of the largest of them and everything is there to make it flourish.

    "Ousmane is aware of what he has to do on a daily basis to make his Barcelona adventure a complete success. Unfortunately, his injury temporarily stops him in his motivation to make a great and beautiful season, symbolised by its anticipated recovery of a week.

    "But this has no impact on his thirst for success and he is confident to return as soon as possible."

  • Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled

    Renato Sanches' public criticism of Bayern Munich for apparently not letting him leave the club has been met with bafflement by sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

    The 22-year-old joined Bayern to much fanfare in 2016 after impressing with Benfica and Portugal, establishing himself as one of the world's most promising teenagers.

    But things have not gone to plan for Sanches in the Bundesliga, struggling before and since an unsuccessful loan spell at Swansea City in 2017-18.

    Niko Kovac's appointment at Bayern last year appeared to provide Sanches with hope of kickstarting his career in Germany, but again his impact was underwhelming.

    After a five-minute cameo in Friday's 2-2 draw with Hertha Berlin, Sanches complained about his playing time and questioned why the club had twice refused to let him leave, much to Salihamidzic's confusion.

    "Renato has played three times since the start the season," Salihamidzic told reporters during the presentation of new signing Mickael Cuisance, midfield challenger to Sanches' place in the squad.

    "Against Borussia Dortmund he was subbed on, in the DFB-Pokal he started and this weekend, although it was only for five minutes, he was also subbed on.

    "Therefore, I didn't really understand why he had to make these remarks. We will see [if he stays], I already explained on Monday that we'll keep all our options open until September 2 [when the transfer window closes].

    "Other than that, I don't want to say much more about it."

    Cuisance, 20, will be hoping to not fall short of expectations at Bayern like Sanches, with Salihamidzic revealing the club to be long-time admirers of the France youth international talent, who joins from Borussia Monchengladbach for a reported €12million.

    "We always tried to get him to Bayern," Salihamidzic said of Cuisance. "He is a player who can play all positions in midfield.

    "He is a very creative player with a very good left foot. He is very creative and feels comfortable in a small spaces. Even under pressure, he has no problems and has great technique.

    "He has a very good idea of the game, which has been seen in the French youth teams. He also showed this in his first year in Monchengladbach, so he is very interesting for our team.

    "We expect him to develop further here and I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun with him."

  • Demiral looking to learn from 'idol' Chiellini at Juventus Demiral looking to learn from 'idol' Chiellini at Juventus

    Merih Demiral wants to live up to the example of his idol Giorgio Chiellini during the early stages of his Juventus career.

    Turkey international Demiral joined Juve from Sassuolo in an €18million deal last month – the centre-back having impressed following his move to Serie A from Alanyaspor midway through the 2018-19 season.

    The 21-year-old's style has been compared to former Juventus and Uruguay favourite Paolo Montero.

    However, despite arguably posing a threat to the club's much-vaunted old-guard at the back along with standout close-season recruit Matthijs de Ligt, Demiral insists he need only look to the likes of Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci for inspiration.

    "To be compared to Montero is an honour for me," he said on Tuesday.

    "I hope to be able to show the fans that I'm a strong defender and live up to that expectation. My real idols are the players that I'm playing with now, like Chiellini.

    "Chiellini and Bonucci have been helping me a lot to settle in here as well as the other players, I hope to learn a lot from them.

    "[Head coach Maurizio] Sarri looks over the defensive side of play personally and this allows me to train in the best possible way and work on my weaknesses."

    Demiral is the first Turkish player to sign for Juve, something he described as an "absolute honour", although he is grateful for the presence of Emre Can in Turin – the Germany midfielder of Turkish descent having helped him adjust to new surroundings.

    "Emre Can is helping me a lot to settle in both on and off the pitch and I'd like to thank him publicly for that," he added.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.