European Leagues critical of proposed Champions League reforms

By Sports Desk May 16, 2019

The European Leagues has said plans to revamp the Champions League should be started from scratch as the current proposals only benefit "a few rich and dominant clubs".

The Premier League has come out against plans to expand the group stage of the tournament, with the French Football League and German Football League this week following suit.

The European Clubs Association, which is led by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, is reportedly keen to introduce changes that would see teams play as many as 14 group matches.

But the European Leagues is strongly against such proposals. 

"Following last week's Club Advisory Meeting in Madrid with over 240 European clubs and the meeting between the UEFA Executive Committee and the European Leagues board of directors in Nyon, the European Leagues retain the strong opinion that the presented proposal for reforming the European Club Competitions benefits just a few rich and dominant clubs but damages the leagues and the great majority of clubs playing in the domestic competitions," a statement from the body said.

"The European Leagues are working on changes which contribute to the long-term sporting and financial sustainability of both European and domestic club competitions.

"In this, the Leagues believe that it is imperative for UEFA to start building the changes in the UEFA club competitions project from scratch. In this respect, UEFA must come to an agreement with the European Leagues and the other stakeholders to safeguard the interests of all professional football clubs in Europe.

"The European Leagues together with the National Associations are responsible for the development of professional football in their own countries and must work together in this respect."

Related items

  • Villas-Boas not interested in return to 'chaotic' Premier League Villas-Boas not interested in return to 'chaotic' Premier League

    Andre Villas-Boas has no interest in returning to the "chaotic" Premier League because he wants to work somewhere with a different philosophy.

    Villas-Boas arrived in England with Chelsea in 2011, having built a reputation as a promising coach with Academica and Porto, and went on to manage Tottenham after failing to impress at Stamford Bridge.

    The Portuguese left Spurs in December 2013 and subsequently took charge at Zenit and Shanghai SIPG, although he has been out of work since November 2017.

    Villas-Boas, who took to rally driving after parting ways with Shanghai, is not enthused by the idea of another Premier League job.

    Discussing his future options, Villas-Boas told Omnisport from the Bilbao International Football Summit: "The Premier League? No.

    "I've been and lived the experience of the Premier League and, no doubt, it's the league with more investment right now, with the best players and teams.

    "But I really like to be in a league that understands philosophy in a different way and the way of playing football. Everything in England is a little more chaotic.

    "So let's see. I look forward, maybe, to some options in France, in Spain, you never know."

  • Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes

    England goalkeeper Nick Pope has signed a long-term contract extension at Burnley, the Premier League club have confirmed.

    The 27-year-old has committed to life at Turf Moor until June 2023, with an option of a further 12 months.

    Pope's performances last term earned him a place in Gareth Southgate's squad for the 2018 World Cup, although a dislocated shoulder sustained during a Europa League tie at Aberdeen last July left him sidelined for five months.

    He then found his route to the first team blocked by Tom Heaton and Joe Hart, with only a pair of FA Cup appearances to show for his efforts, but Pope is relishing the challenge of re-establishing himself under Sean Dyche in 2019-20.

    "I am in a good place. The shoulder feels good and I'm looking forward to coming back ready for next season," he told Burnley's official website.

    "With the contract being for a further four years that will carry me through the majority of my career.

    "When you look at a long deal like that, you take into context the club you're at and the people you will be around every day.

    "I love being where I am and working with the lads every day. It's an enjoyable place to be."

    Pope had 12 months to run on his previous deal and Dyche is pleased to have the player's future secured.

    "After a difficult, injury-affected year, through no fault of his own, Nick lost a season's work," he said.

    "But we are absolutely delighted that he has now agreed a new long-term deal, which mirrors the aim of the club.

    "We have always said we want to be strong in the market and that includes when it comes to other clubs trying to get our players. This is a clear sign of that.

    "Nick has shown himself to be a real professional and we are delighted to have him at the club until 2024 and look forward to continuing the good work he has already achieved."

  • Fenerbahce face UEFA sanctions after FFP breach Fenerbahce face UEFA sanctions after FFP breach

    Fenerbahce face sanctions from UEFA after breaching their Financial Fair Play (FFP) agreement in 2018-19.

    The Super Lig giants signed a settlement agreement in May 2016, but UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) said on Friday the club failed to meet their break-even target.

    The CFCB has consequently referred Fenerbahce to its adjudicatory chamber, which could lead to a ban from European competition.

    Meanwhile, Porto will operate under transfer restrictions and a limitation on their European squad size, having "partially fulfilled" their targets.

    Galatasaray and Maccabi Tel Aviv were deemed to be in compliance and will stay in the settlement regime.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.