German, French leagues oppose Champions League proposals

By Sports Desk May 15, 2019

The French Football League (LFP) and the German Football League (DFL) have signalled their opposition to proposed Champions League changes.

Plans for a major revamp of the tournament are being considered by the European Club Association (ECA), including the possibility of increasing the number of group stage games.

The Premier League released a statement in April to reveal all 20 clubs are unanimously against such alterations to the Champions League.

And on Wednesday both the LFP and DFL followed suit in airing their concerns about the ECA's proposals for Europe's leading club competition.

"French football is worried about the sporting and economic consequences of the current project for the national championships," said the LFP.

The LFP's statement said 32 members voted against the ECA's proposals, while there were also three abstentions, with the body to put forward alternative arrangements.

The ECA also proposed changing the qualification system, with the DFL's chief executive Christian Seifert joining the LFP in opposition of the plans.

"The presently discussed concept... would have unacceptable consequences for the national leagues in Europe and should therefore not be implemented in this form," he said.

"We must not allow the traditional national leagues to be damaged in their attractiveness for millions of people across the continent.

"In all discussions, two points are of crucial importance: the number of games in the football calendar and, above all, access to international competitions.

"Changes to these must not jeopardise the relevance and future of the national leagues in Europe."

Related items

  • Tuchel unsure over Mbappe and Cavani injuries but wants to keep Neymar Tuchel unsure over Mbappe and Cavani injuries but wants to keep Neymar

    Thomas Tuchel is unsure over the severity of injuries to Paris Saint-Germain forwards Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani, but confirmed he wants Neymar to stay.

    Neymar was left out of Tuchel's squad for Sunday's 4-0 Ligue 1 win at home to Toulouse, with Cavani and Mbappe both substituted after sustaining injuries.

    Cavani went off in the first half after an attempted volley while Mbappe had to be withdrawn following the break having seemingly pulled his hamstring, PSG also losing Abdou Diallo to a head injury.

    "I do not know if it's serious for Mbappe and Cavani," Tuchel said to Canal+.

    "If they will be back for the start of the Champions League? I do not think about that.

    "These are different injuries and in different actions. We must look for the reasons. It's always like that.

    "I am a little disappointed because we were strong at the moment. And every injury is too much for me, because we want to work with the whole group. It's difficult."

    Neymar continues to be linked with a move away, sporting director Leonardo having previously confirmed the Brazil star intends to depart after two years in Paris.

    A return to Barcelona has been mooted for the 27-year-old but LaLiga rivals Real Madrid are also reportedly keen to do a deal for the forward.

    Neymar has not played for PSG this season amid the continued uncertainty over his future and Tuchel wants a resolution quickly, with Europe's transfer window set to close on September 2.

    "It has always been our goal. Close this case as soon as possible," Tuchel added.

    "Leonardo knows that I want to keep him. But that doesn't depend only on him.

    "The situation is not very clear, yes. And we must clear it up."

    PSG face Metz on Friday in their last game before the international break but Tuchel does not know if Neymar will be available.

    "It's not just my decision," he said.

  • Giampaolo demands attacking improvement after losing AC Milan start Giampaolo demands attacking improvement after losing AC Milan start

    Marco Giampaolo demanded an attacking improvement from AC Milan after a 1-0 defeat at Udinese in his first Serie A game in charge of the team.

    Rodrigo Becao scored on his Serie A debut, with Giampaolo not selecting any of the Rossoneri's new signings in his XI on Sunday.

    Giampaolo sent on new faces Ismael Bennacer and Rafael Leao from the bench, but Milan could not break down Igor Tudor's side at the Dacia Arena.

    The former Sampdoria coach saw his side fail to record a single shot on target and he was in no doubt why Milan fell to defeat, despite seeking positives from the performance.

    "The match speaks for itself and it's not good when AC Milan lose," Giampaolo told Milan TV. "I picked up on many things today, beyond that of just the result.

    "The team tried to do what I asked of them, looking to impose themselves and take the game to the opposition. We must work on our offensive play because we struggled in that department.

    "It's not just the lads’ responsibility but more a matter of specific characteristics. I must go beyond the result in understanding how we can be at our best. Maybe I asked them certain things but they have different characteristics.

    "Up until now, the lads have shown me great willingness. I must now find the best solution according to the characteristics of certain matches."

    Milan were denied a penalty when Alessio Romagnoli's header hit Samir on the arm, as no spot-kick was awarded following a VAR check.

    "We're annoyed by the result, but my evaluations wouldn't be different if we'd have equalised from the penalty spot," Giampaolo added.

    "I must make some serious analysis, looking to understand where the team must improve and what works well. I must be objective. It may be that they award the penalty for an equaliser but this wouldn't lead me to any different evaluations.

    "When you lose, it's only right for there to be controversial issues, but we must focus on ourselves - looking to play better football than we did today and without losing sight of being protagonists. We'll only achieve this through hard work."

  • Joao Felix backed to become 'one of the best' Joao Felix backed to become 'one of the best'

    Joao Felix can become "one of the best", according to Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

    Atletico beat Leganes 1-0 courtesy of a second-half goal from Vitolo, who was played in by €120million signing Joao Felix for the decisive strike.

    Oblak heaped praise on the 19-year-old's performance while hailing the team's game management across a contest in which they survived 10 attempts on goal from Leganes.

    "I knew he had great talent, great potential," Oblak said of his Portugal international team-mate.

    "The club has made a lot of effort to bring him here and we all agree that they have brought a high-quality player and that he can become one of the best, for sure.

    "At the moment he is playing very well and hopefully he continues like this, giving us joy.

    "It was a complicated game. Any team will have problems here against Leganes.

    "Vitolo came on and scored the winning goal but in general the whole team played in the best possible way. We have defended well, we have suffered.

    "It is important to know how to suffer because you cannot dominate the whole game."

    Diego Simeone echoed Oblak's comments about Leganes, against whom he fielded a back three rather than his usual four.

    The approach paid off as Atleti ground out a second win in as many games.

    Simeone told reporters: "We needed to win and tried to do so in different ways. We changed things around and we won.

    "Leganes never allow you to relax - they're very strong at home."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.