Manchester City face no action over 'Allez' chant

By Sports Desk May 15, 2019

Manchester City will not face any action from the Football Association (FA) in relation to a video of a song sung on their team flight back from Brighton on Sunday.

City secured back-to-back Premier League titles with a 4-1 win at Brighton and Hove Albion, pipping Liverpool to top spot by a point.

A video circulated on social media on Tuesday appeared to show City employees on the plane after the match singing an alternative and anti-Liverpool version of the Reds faithful's 'Allez, Allez, Allez' chant.

Omnisport understands City's staff and players – some of whom were visible in the clip – will not be reprimanded by the FA as none of its rules and regulations have been breached.

The words of the song refer to Liverpool fans getting "battered in the streets". Although their trip to Kiev for last season's Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid is also referenced, it had been suggested that element was a distasteful reference to Sean Cox – the Liverpool supporter who suffered life-changing injuries after being attacked by an Italian man before the semi-final first leg with Roma at Anfield.

Another line, which calls Reds' fans "victims of it all" had been interpreted in some quarters as a mocking nod towards the Hillsborough disaster.

City issued a statement to dismiss such claims as baseless, insisting the chant only relates to Liverpool's 3-1 loss to Madrid.

"The song in question, which has been a regular chant during the 2018-19 season, refers to the 2018 UEFA Champions League final in Kiev," a City spokesperson said.

"Any suggestion that the lyrics relate to Sean Cox or the Hillsborough tragedy is entirely without foundation."

Related items

  • Villas-Boas not interested in return to 'chaotic' Premier League Villas-Boas not interested in return to 'chaotic' Premier League

    Andre Villas-Boas has no interest in returning to the "chaotic" Premier League because he wants to work somewhere with a different philosophy.

    Villas-Boas arrived in England with Chelsea in 2011, having built a reputation as a promising coach with Academica and Porto, and went on to manage Tottenham after failing to impress at Stamford Bridge.

    The Portuguese left Spurs in December 2013 and subsequently took charge at Zenit and Shanghai SIPG, although he has been out of work since November 2017.

    Villas-Boas, who took to rally driving after parting ways with Shanghai, is not enthused by the idea of another Premier League job.

    Discussing his future options, Villas-Boas told Omnisport from the Bilbao International Football Summit: "The Premier League? No.

    "I've been and lived the experience of the Premier League and, no doubt, it's the league with more investment right now, with the best players and teams.

    "But I really like to be in a league that understands philosophy in a different way and the way of playing football. Everything in England is a little more chaotic.

    "So let's see. I look forward, maybe, to some options in France, in Spain, you never know."

  • Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes

    England goalkeeper Nick Pope has signed a long-term contract extension at Burnley, the Premier League club have confirmed.

    The 27-year-old has committed to life at Turf Moor until June 2023, with an option of a further 12 months.

    Pope's performances last term earned him a place in Gareth Southgate's squad for the 2018 World Cup, although a dislocated shoulder sustained during a Europa League tie at Aberdeen last July left him sidelined for five months.

    He then found his route to the first team blocked by Tom Heaton and Joe Hart, with only a pair of FA Cup appearances to show for his efforts, but Pope is relishing the challenge of re-establishing himself under Sean Dyche in 2019-20.

    "I am in a good place. The shoulder feels good and I'm looking forward to coming back ready for next season," he told Burnley's official website.

    "With the contract being for a further four years that will carry me through the majority of my career.

    "When you look at a long deal like that, you take into context the club you're at and the people you will be around every day.

    "I love being where I am and working with the lads every day. It's an enjoyable place to be."

    Pope had 12 months to run on his previous deal and Dyche is pleased to have the player's future secured.

    "After a difficult, injury-affected year, through no fault of his own, Nick lost a season's work," he said.

    "But we are absolutely delighted that he has now agreed a new long-term deal, which mirrors the aim of the club.

    "We have always said we want to be strong in the market and that includes when it comes to other clubs trying to get our players. This is a clear sign of that.

    "Nick has shown himself to be a real professional and we are delighted to have him at the club until 2024 and look forward to continuing the good work he has already achieved."

  • Fenerbahce face UEFA sanctions after FFP breach Fenerbahce face UEFA sanctions after FFP breach

    Fenerbahce face sanctions from UEFA after breaching their Financial Fair Play (FFP) agreement in 2018-19.

    The Super Lig giants signed a settlement agreement in May 2016, but UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) said on Friday the club failed to meet their break-even target.

    The CFCB has consequently referred Fenerbahce to its adjudicatory chamber, which could lead to a ban from European competition.

    Meanwhile, Porto will operate under transfer restrictions and a limitation on their European squad size, having "partially fulfilled" their targets.

    Galatasaray and Maccabi Tel Aviv were deemed to be in compliance and will stay in the settlement regime.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.