Koke desperate for Griezmann stay

By Sports Desk May 13, 2019

Koke is hoping that Antoine Griezmann will commit his future to Atletico Madrid and one day leave the club as a legend, much like departing centre-back Diego Godin.

The France international has spent the last five years in the Spanish capital and his performances have received such acclaim that he has twice come third in the Ballon d'Or voting.

Griezmann has consistently been linked with a move to Barcelona, despite signing a fresh deal only last year, and Koke is hoping he stays put for the long term.

"The player has shown what he is at Atletico," Koke told Marca.

 

Joyeux anniversaire @Atleti pic.twitter.com/b770zpotjU

— Antoine Griezmann (@AntoGriezmann) April 26, 2019

"We want him to continue, to be motivated, to continue to make history. Hopefully the day he leaves us will be a goodbye like Godin's."

Godin is leaving Atletico after nine years and Koke was keen to pay tribute to his departing team-mate, who won LaLiga, the Copa del Rey, two Europa Leagues and reached two Champions League finals.

"How could you not be emotional? I've gone through a lot with him," Koke added.

"He's been one of the leaders of one of the best eras. We want the best for him."

Related items

  • I want to stay at Juventus - Dybala disputes brother's claims I want to stay at Juventus - Dybala disputes brother's claims

    Paulo Dybala has disputed his brother's suggestion that he could be set to leave Juventus and insists he wants to stay at the Serie A champions.

    The Argentina international appeared ready to depart Turin when his brother and agent Gustavo claimed there was a "good chance" of a move as the forward "needs a change".

    But, despite making just 23 league starts in 2018-19 following Cristiano Ronaldo's arrival at Juve, Dybala has dismissed his brother's comments, stating they do not reflect his feelings.

    "[My brother] spoke for himself," Dybala told Sky Sport Italia.

    "I talked to the club and sporting director Fabio Paratici and they know what I think. I want to stay at Juventus again next year, I want to continue playing here.

    "It is obvious that Juventus must make their choices, make the team based around the coach that will arrive, but I want to stay here."

    A potential switch to rivals Inter was put to Dybala but he would not comment on the speculation.

    "I have a lot of respect for this shirt and for these fans," he said. "I won't talk about other teams because it would show a lack of respect."

    Juve are yet to appoint a new head coach to replace Massimiliano Allegri, who will oversee his final game in charge against Sampdoria this weekend.

  • Messi still trying to forget Barcelona's Anfield nightmare Messi still trying to forget Barcelona's Anfield nightmare

    Lionel Messi feels Barcelona are still yet to recover from their crushing Champions League loss to Liverpool.

    Ernesto Valverde's side have the chance to complete back-to-back domestic doubles when they face Valencia in Saturday's Copa del Rey final.

    LaLiga glory was wrapped up at a canter, meaning their remarkable collapse to a 4-0 thumping at Anfield – having won the first leg of the semi-final 3-0 – threatens to define an otherwise excellent campaign.

    Messi was unable to stem the tide as Jurgen Klopp's side ran riot after half-time and, more than two weeks on, the loss still stings.

    "The Liverpool game was a really, really hard blow. It was the hardest moment of the year, it was hard to get back up," Messi told a pre-match news conference, where he insisted he and his team-mates should take responsibility for what unfolded on Merseyside.

    "I blame the players, not only the coach. I heard a lot of the critics of Valverde but I do not make him guilty for the loss to Liverpool. The coach has done impressive work.

    "I blame the squad. We cannot afford games like that any longer."

    Messi is guaranteed to collect the European Golden Shoe unless Kylian Mbappe scores four times in Paris Saint-Germain's Friday encounter against Reims on Friday.

    But the five-time Ballon d'Or winner is not thinking of such individual awards and the bad taste of what happened against Liverpool still lingers.

    "I'm still thinking about the Liverpool loss. I don't really have time to think about the Golden Shoe award," said Messi, who observed the parallels with last season's Champions League quarter-final defeat against Roma - when Barca won the initial game 4-1 - were particularly tough to take.

    "I am focused on winning tomorrow and trying to forget the game at Anfield.

    "We did a very similar game to in Rome the year before. In the second half we didn't compete and that's something we cannot afford. Liverpool were much, much better than us.

    "We played a lamentable game. It can happen one year, but to happen two years in a row [when you] have the chance to be in a Champions League final… it's impermissible.

    "The sensation is strange and that's why the team have to focus on trying to get a double. We were hit so hard by Anfield. We were so focused on the Champions League and trying not to repeat the performance from Rome."

    Messi rejected the suggestion that such a loss could persuade him to call time on his exceptional Barcelona career – likening such a reaction to the hysteria that accompanies his every setback with Argentina at international level.

    "No, no and no. It happens the same with the Argentina national team," he said. "Whichever time we lose, I am wanting to fight on and on and on to win titles. It is the same with Barca.

    "I have to apologise for the second half at Liverpool, not because of the result but because of the image we gave."

    Messi added: "We have to be focused on trying to win and trying to get the Copa del Rey. If we lose, it is going to be even worse than the way that we are at this moment.

    "Apart from the Liverpool game, Barca have made a great year, winning LaLiga and trying to win the Copa del Rey. Apart from that game at Liverpool, we've done a really nice job. We've had a great year if you take out that game."

  • Jonas Lossl to join Everton on a free Jonas Lossl to join Everton on a free

    Huddersfield Town goalkeeper Jonas Lossl will join Everton when his contract expires at the end of June.

    Lossl joined Huddersfield on loan from Mainz for their first Premier League season in 2017 and earned a permanent move at the conclusion of the campaign.

    However, the Denmark international endured a tough second term in England as Huddersfield were relegated to the Championship.

    Lossl, 30, has signed a three-year deal at Goodison Park, where he is likely to serve as back-up to England star Jordan Pickford.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.