EFL

Retired Jamaica international McAnuff leads Leyton Orient back to EFL

By Sports Desk May 05, 2019

Retired Jamaica international Jobi McAnuff has led Leyton Orient back into the England Football League (EFL) after a two-season absence.

The 37-year-old midfielder, once a staple of the Jamaican starting line-up, moved back to Leyton Orient two years ago after previously making 51 appearances for the club during the 2014-2016 season.  The player, who was appointed captain of the club last season, played a crucial role in the outfit’s promotion from the National League.

The club’s return to the second division of English football ended a difficult period under former owner Francesco Becchetti, an Italian businessman.  With his departure, Orient have been revived under the steadier guidance of Nigel Travis, the chairman, and American Kent Teague, the vice-chairman and principal investor.  The new situation has been spoken of favourably by the Jamaican.

“I can’t speak highly enough of the owners, who have given the club that platform and stability,” McAnuff, the former Jamaica international, said.

“With what we have got upstairs, with their desire and ambition, the sky is the limit. We are not going up just to make up the numbers next season.”

 

 

Related items

  • Reggae Girlz strike hard over unpaid salaries Reggae Girlz strike hard over unpaid salaries

     

    Several members of Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz history-making World Cup squad including Bunny Shaw, Havana Solaun, Toriana Patterson, Allyson Swaby and Lauren Silver, have declared that they will not play another match for Jamaica until they are paid money they are owed from their world cup campaign.

    Each has posted a No Pay No Play poster on their Instagram pages stating their position.

    Under a banner declaring No Pay, No Play, the girls posted:

    “This is an issue that goes simply beyond “getting paid.” It’s about the girls following in our footsteps. It’s about leaving something better off than when you found it. We signed contracts and have yet to be paid.

    “The Reggae Girlz are the first Caribbean team ever to qualify for a World Cup. The hours of hard work and dedication put in by this team doesn’t have a monetary value. It’s about so much more than money. Women’s soccer has taken a back seat for too long. It’s time to take a stand.

    “For this reason, I, along with my teammates won't be participating in any tournaments until being paid,” the post said.

    In response, Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) President Michael Ricketts said he does not know what would have triggered this latest protest from the Reggae Girls. The players are owed US$120,000, Ricketts said, and half that amount was transferred through Sagicor Bank last week.

    In the meantime, team manager Jean Nelson had been in communication with the players informing them that some money had been transferred to their accounts ad that the balance would be paid once they received US$750,000 earned at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup the end of September.

    FIFA, Ricketts said, is to pay over that sum at the end of the month.

    However, the players insist they have not been paid.

    “My teammates and I have not received any money. Our agreement ended on August 30 and today is September 2 and there is nothing pending,” Lauren Silver confirmed, indicating that the players had formed their own union in anticipation of something like this happening.

    “We as a group just always wanted to have a line of communication open with each other. Like most companies have a union but since it was a repetitive action, we as a team have been trying to work together more.”

    She did acknowledge that Jean Nelson did communicate with them but the bottom line is that they still have not been paid.

    “Jean has communicated with us to the best of her ability but at the end of the day she is not responsible for our salary,” she said.

     

     

  • Bordeaux midfielder praises 'Monster' Bunny Shaw on two-goal debut Bordeaux midfielder praises 'Monster' Bunny Shaw on two-goal debut

    French attacking player Viviane Asseyi is confident Jamaica international Khadijah ‘Bunny’ Shaw is set to have a major impact for Division 1 Féminine club Bordeaux after netting twice on her official debut.

    The 22-year-old Shaw, who signed a two-year deal with the French club just ahead of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, scored twice in a 4-1 win for Bordeaux over Fleury on her official league debut on Saturday.

    “For me, she’s a great player.  Because of her size, she already provides a good point of support for us.  She has special physical and technical quality,” Asseyi said.

    “Physically, she’s a monster. We see it in training, she moves everyone.  She’s a very good player and good for us,  I know she’ll do well with us.”

    In Saturday’s route, Shaw scored in the 75th and 90th minute.  For Jamaica, the player has scored an impressive 31 goal in 24 appearances.  Bordeaux, who finished fourth in the league last season, will be hoping Shaw’s presence will lead the team to a top-two finish, which will see them qualify for the Women's UEFA Champions League next season.

     

  • Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse

    Jamaica international Michael Hector is likely to be without regular first-team football until the next transfer window after deadline day moves to Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham collapsed.

    The 27-year-old defender signed with Premier League club Chelsea in 2015 but has spent all his time on various loan spells.  Since signing for the Blues, at Stamford Bridge, the Jamaican has been loaned back to Reading to Frankfurt, Hull City, and Sheffield Wednesday.

    Having clearly found himself to not be a part of new manager Frank Lampard’s plans, Hector was in talks with Sheffield Wednesday over a permanent move a few days before the close of the summer window. 

    Chelsea were, however, said to want £5 million for Hector, who recently entered the final year of his contract with the club for whom he has never played a competitive fixture. 

    The player came close to joining Fulham on Thursday but that move fell through.  Fulham were hopeful of landing Hector before the window closed but couldn't as they were still waiting on the agreement for Ryan Sessegnon to be completed with Tottenham.

    The Cottagers were then forced to go for other targets on loan in order to comply with FFP regulations.  Hector is, however, expected to join the club in the January window.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.