Simeone delighted 'extraordinary' Oblak has signed new Atletico deal

By Sports Desk April 23, 2019

Diego Simeone feels Jan Oblak's recent contract extension is vital to Atletico Madrid's future as he is "probably the best keeper in the world".

Slovenia international Oblak signed fresh terms on a four-year deal with Atletico last week, the new agreement reportedly including a release clause of around €100million.

The former Benfica goalkeeper, 26, has spent the past five years in the Spanish capital having succeeded Thibaut Courtois as the club's number one in 2014.

Simeone compared Oblak's new deal to Antoine Griezmann's contract extension last year in terms of its importance to the Rojiblancos moving forward.

"It is very important for the club and a great decision - as it was with the Griezmann one last year - on staying with us," Simeone told reporters at a news conference to preview Valencia's trip to the Wanda Metropolitano.

"He is probably the best keeper in the world.

"It is a big joy for the club and for the fans because Jan is an extraordinary goalkeeper.

"It is something which is very good news for the club, that's for sure."

Barcelona will be confirmed as LaLiga champions should they beat Deportivo Alaves on Tuesday and Atleti then lose to Valencia the following day.

Copa del Rey finalists and Europa League semi-finalists Valencia have found form in recent months, losing just one of their previous 22 games in all competitions, as they chase a top-four finish.

They won only one of their opening 13 matches but Simeone always expected Valencia to turn their season around.

"I think this last period of the season is what they planned at the beginning, according to the squad they have," he added.

"I am not surprised seeing how they are improving because they are a solid and organised team with a clear concept of the game and good replacement players.

"So, being at this position in the table, playing the semi-final of the Europa League and [having] qualified for the final of the Copa del Rey describes how good their squad is."

Simeone, who remains without the suspended Diego Costa, will have defender Stefan Savic available again after he returned to training on Tuesday following a hamstring injury.

Related items

  • Barcelona stepped up in absence of Messi and Suarez, says two-goal Griezmann Barcelona stepped up in absence of Messi and Suarez, says two-goal Griezmann

    Antoine Griezmann felt Barcelona stepped up in the absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez to get their first LaLiga win of the season against Real Betis on Sunday.

    The €120million signing from Atletico Madrid got off the mark for his new club in the 41st minute to cancel out Nabil Fekir's opener, before adding a wonderful second to put Ernesto Valverde's side ahead five minutes after the interval.

    The hosts went on to win 5-2 and banish the disappointment of last week's opening defeat to Athletic Bilbao, and Griezmann, while admitting there is still plenty of work to be done, says he was impressed by how Barca coped without injured duo Messi and Suarez.

    "We have improved a lot and we still have details to improve, although this is going in the right direction," he told Movistar.

    "In the end, when many important people are missing, everyone takes a step forward and today it has been like that.

    "After a defeat there are many comments and we had to work hard this week and in the end we played a great game. We have enjoyed it."

    Carles Perez, Jordi Alba and Arutro Vidal were also on target for Barca before Loren Moron added a superb consolation late on for the visitors.

  • Giampaolo demands attacking improvement after losing AC Milan start Giampaolo demands attacking improvement after losing AC Milan start

    Marco Giampaolo demanded an attacking improvement from AC Milan after a 1-0 defeat at Udinese in his first Serie A game in charge of the team.

    Rodrigo Becao scored on his Serie A debut, with Giampaolo not selecting any of the Rossoneri's new signings in his XI on Sunday.

    Giampaolo sent on new faces Ismael Bennacer and Rafael Leao from the bench, but Milan could not break down Igor Tudor's side at the Dacia Arena.

    The former Sampdoria coach saw his side fail to record a single shot on target and he was in no doubt why Milan fell to defeat, despite seeking positives from the performance.

    "The match speaks for itself and it's not good when AC Milan lose," Giampaolo told Milan TV. "I picked up on many things today, beyond that of just the result.

    "The team tried to do what I asked of them, looking to impose themselves and take the game to the opposition. We must work on our offensive play because we struggled in that department.

    "It's not just the lads’ responsibility but more a matter of specific characteristics. I must go beyond the result in understanding how we can be at our best. Maybe I asked them certain things but they have different characteristics.

    "Up until now, the lads have shown me great willingness. I must now find the best solution according to the characteristics of certain matches."

    Milan were denied a penalty when Alessio Romagnoli's header hit Samir on the arm, as no spot-kick was awarded following a VAR check.

    "We're annoyed by the result, but my evaluations wouldn't be different if we'd have equalised from the penalty spot," Giampaolo added.

    "I must make some serious analysis, looking to understand where the team must improve and what works well. I must be objective. It may be that they award the penalty for an equaliser but this wouldn't lead me to any different evaluations.

    "When you lose, it's only right for there to be controversial issues, but we must focus on ourselves - looking to play better football than we did today and without losing sight of being protagonists. We'll only achieve this through hard work."

  • Joao Felix backed to become 'one of the best' Joao Felix backed to become 'one of the best'

    Joao Felix can become "one of the best", according to Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

    Atletico beat Leganes 1-0 courtesy of a second-half goal from Vitolo, who was played in by €120million signing Joao Felix for the decisive strike.

    Oblak heaped praise on the 19-year-old's performance while hailing the team's game management across a contest in which they survived 10 attempts on goal from Leganes.

    "I knew he had great talent, great potential," Oblak said of his Portugal international team-mate.

    "The club has made a lot of effort to bring him here and we all agree that they have brought a high-quality player and that he can become one of the best, for sure.

    "At the moment he is playing very well and hopefully he continues like this, giving us joy.

    "It was a complicated game. Any team will have problems here against Leganes.

    "Vitolo came on and scored the winning goal but in general the whole team played in the best possible way. We have defended well, we have suffered.

    "It is important to know how to suffer because you cannot dominate the whole game."

    Diego Simeone echoed Oblak's comments about Leganes, against whom he fielded a back three rather than his usual four.

    The approach paid off as Atleti ground out a second win in as many games.

    Simeone told reporters: "We needed to win and tried to do so in different ways. We changed things around and we won.

    "Leganes never allow you to relax - they're very strong at home."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.