EPL

United teenager Garner pens long-term deal

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Teenage midfielder James Garner has signed a new contract to remain at Manchester United until the end of the 2021-22 season, with the option of a further year.

The 18-year-old made his senior debut for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side as a late substitute in the win over Crystal Palace last month.

Garner, who was an unused substitute in the Champions League last-16 victory over Paris Saint-Germain last week, has been with United since he was eight.

He has captained England Under-17s and is in the Under-18s squad for a tournament in Dubai later this month.

Related items

  • Gundogan confident Man City will keep Sane despite Bayern links Gundogan confident Man City will keep Sane despite Bayern links

    Ilkay Gundogan has no doubt Manchester City will do their best to fight off reported interest from Bayern Munich and keep Leroy Sane.

    Germany international Sane is said to be a target for the Bundesliga champions, who are expected to be busy in the transfer market during the close season.

    Bayern will be looking to strengthen on the wings due to the departures of Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben and the 23-year-old is thought to be a primary target after seeing his number of Premier League starts drop from 27 to 21 this season.

    But Pep Guardiola last week said City are keen to extend Sane's contract beyond 2021 and Gundogan is unconcerned by the speculation about his team-mate's future.

    "If players of his quality do not play at one time or another, it has become normal that there are automatic rumours," Gundogan told Sport Bild.

    "As our manager has already said, the club wants to keep Leroy.

    "I know Leroy very well and know that he can and will prevail anywhere."

    Gundogan, whose own future had been shrouded in doubt, told Bild after City completed a domestic treble by adding the FA Cup to their Premier League and EFL Cup triumphs on Saturday he intended to re-open contract talks with the club.

  • Sterling wants to discuss tackling racism with FA and Premier League Sterling wants to discuss tackling racism with FA and Premier League

    Manchester City star Raheem Sterling wants to hold talks with the Football Association (FA) and Premier League about tackling racism.

    England forward Sterling has this season been vocal on the issue since suffering alleged racist abuse from Chelsea fans during a 2-0 loss in December, criticising the media's coverage of black players and speaking out in support of other footballers that have been targeted.

    The 24-year-old in April backed an anti-racism manifesto that included demands for harsher punishments and greater representation of black, Asian and minority ethnic people at a governance level throughout football.

    Sterling, who, along with Danny Rose and Callum Hudson-Odoi, was also subjected to racist chanting during a Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro in March, hopes to have an opportunity to have a dialogue with English football's governing bodies during the close season.

    "With football you can get caught up in training every day and games every two to three days so you don't really have a lot of time to be out speaking to people," said Sterling at the Wall Street Journal's Future of Everything Festival.

    "But in my off-time, holidays if I can get to speak to the FA and people in the Premier League and see how we can look about doing things better in the future for sure I will be there in person to try and do that."

    Sterling reiterated his desire to see a nine-point deduction handed to clubs whose fans are found to have racially abused players.

    "There needs to be stricter punishments. If I go to a football game and I support Manchester United for example I do not want to be the person that lets my team down by saying silly remarks in the stadium," he said.

    "If your team is going to be deducted nine points from them winning the league you are not going to say these racist remarks.

    "Fining someone or fining a club £5,000 or fining a fan £300 doesn't do anything."

  • Pogba and Hazard to Real Madrid? It's possible, says Varane Pogba and Hazard to Real Madrid? It's possible, says Varane

    Paul Pogba and Eden Hazard joining Real Madrid is possible because great players are always welcome at the club, says Raphael Varane.

    Madrid have been linked with big-money moves for the Manchester United midfielder and Chelsea winger as Zinedine Zidane looks to rebuild the squad following a disappointing 2018-19 season.

    Pogba has struggled to stamp his mark on United since returning in 2016 for a then world-record £89million, while Hazard appears set to leave Stamford Bridge with just one year remaining on his contract.

    Varane, who has vowed to remain with the club next term despite links to the likes of United and Juventus, believes players of such calibre will always have a place at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    "I can't say what I talk to [Pogba] about, but any great player has a place at Madrid and he is one," Varane told Marca.

    "In Madrid there is a lot of competition. It is a possibility, there is a lot of noise around and we will see in August where he is."

    On Hazard, he added: "I've known him since I started at Lens. He is a top player and it's like I said to explain the case with Pogba, he could also play at Madrid.

    "He is in the best moment of his career with the age and quality he has. When we [France] faced [Belgium] in the World Cup semi-finals we knew we had to have a special plan to stop him."

    Madrid have long been expected to sign a new striker to replace Karim Benzema, but the former Lyon man hit 30 goals in all competitions this season – his best since the 2011-12 campaign.

    "To play for Madrid for 10 years and also being the number nine you have to be very good and have a huge mental strength. He is very talented and has reached a moment of fulfilment," said Varane.

    "He knows himself very well, he knows what he has to do to be at his best level and he has had a very good season.

    "It may be the best of his career, and it is true that I have seen him very comfortable in his role as leader of the attack. I am very happy for him."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.