Mourinho was Real Madrid's first choice, says ex-president Calderon

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Jose Mourinho was Florentino Perez's first choice as Real Madrid head coach, and not Zinedine Zidane, according to former club president Roman Calderon.

Club great Zidane was appointed as Madrid's third coach of the season earlier this week after the Spanish giants had underwhelmed under the leadership of Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari.

Los Blancos have fallen 12 points off the pace in LaLiga and were dumped out of the Champions League in a 4-1 humbling by Ajax at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 46-year-old Frenchman returns after a trophy-laden 28-month spell in charge, which started in January 2016, as he led Madrid to three straight Champions League triumphs and a LaLiga title.

But despite Zidane overseeing Madrid's successful era, it was another ex-head coach who was Perez's go-to guy, according to Calderon.

"The first option was Mourinho, and Mourinho was the one who was going to come to Real Madrid because he's the only coach the president respects,” said Calderon, as reported in Spanish media outlet AS.

"Florentino sees the Portuguese coach as a shield.

"He says what nobody dares, he blames the referees, the press, [he says] that which is not normally said."

 

¡Zidane dirigirá frente al @RCCelta su partido 150 con el @RealMadrid!
 149 partidos
 393 goles
 104 victorias
9 trofeos #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/lirah6I6dK

— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadrid) March 14, 2019

Calderon revealed he is not in agreement with Perez, which he believes is a belief shared among key figures in the Madrid dressing room.

"The dressing room leaders pushed to reject the possibility of Jose Mourinho," Calderon told Sky Sports.

"He left [Real Madrid] a lot of problems and I think he would have been another problem to the ones we already have if he had come.

"I think Jose Mourinho would have been a step backwards, there was a lot of problems and controversy when he was here.

"He is a good coach with a lot of trophies but many of the leaders in the dressing room didn't like him and I think that was important in the decision-making."

Related items

  • Pogba and Hazard to Real Madrid? It's possible, says Varane Pogba and Hazard to Real Madrid? It's possible, says Varane

    Paul Pogba and Eden Hazard joining Real Madrid is possible because great players are always welcome at the club, says Raphael Varane.

    Madrid have been linked with big-money moves for the Manchester United midfielder and Chelsea winger as Zinedine Zidane looks to rebuild the squad following a disappointing 2018-19 season.

    Pogba has struggled to stamp his mark on United since returning in 2016 for a then world-record £89million, while Hazard appears set to leave Stamford Bridge with just one year remaining on his contract.

    Varane, who has vowed to remain with the club next term despite links to the likes of United and Juventus, believes players of such calibre will always have a place at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    "I can't say what I talk to [Pogba] about, but any great player has a place at Madrid and he is one," Varane told Marca.

    "In Madrid there is a lot of competition. It is a possibility, there is a lot of noise around and we will see in August where he is."

    On Hazard, he added: "I've known him since I started at Lens. He is a top player and it's like I said to explain the case with Pogba, he could also play at Madrid.

    "He is in the best moment of his career with the age and quality he has. When we [France] faced [Belgium] in the World Cup semi-finals we knew we had to have a special plan to stop him."

    Madrid have long been expected to sign a new striker to replace Karim Benzema, but the former Lyon man hit 30 goals in all competitions this season – his best since the 2011-12 campaign.

    "To play for Madrid for 10 years and also being the number nine you have to be very good and have a huge mental strength. He is very talented and has reached a moment of fulfilment," said Varane.

    "He knows himself very well, he knows what he has to do to be at his best level and he has had a very good season.

    "It may be the best of his career, and it is true that I have seen him very comfortable in his role as leader of the attack. I am very happy for him."

  • Del Bosque defends Spanish clubs despite European failure Del Bosque defends Spanish clubs despite European failure

    Vicente del Bosque defended the standard of Spanish football after LaLiga clubs missed out on European success.

    Both European finals will be played between English clubs, with Liverpool and Tottenham meeting in the Champions League and Chelsea facing Arsenal in the Europa League decider.

    But former Spain and Real Madrid coach Del Bosque defended Spanish clubs, pointing to their recent record in Europe.

    Madrid or Barcelona have won the past five Champions League titles, while Atletico Madrid or Sevilla have claimed four of the previous five Europa Leagues.

    "Well, if you saw the last 20 years, the Spanish clubs have won 50 per cent of the Champions League titles," Del Bosque said on Tuesday.

    "Also, we've had very good performances of Sevilla and Atletico, who win the Europa League.

    "Villarreal, Deportivo La Coruna and others contributed to a great hegemony of Spanish football during the past two decades."

  • Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts Jamaica Football Federation doles out US$300,000 for Reggae Girlz contracts
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.