EPL

Hodgson eyeing Premier League top 10 rather than relegation scrap

By Sports Desk February 09, 2019

Roy Hodgson felt Crystal Palace deserved more than a 1-1 draw against West Ham and has his sights on the Premier League's top 10 rather than a relegation scrap.

Wilfried Zaha scored a late, deflected equaliser on his return from suspension at Selhurst Park, cancelling out Mark Noble's first-half penalty for the visitors.

Palace racked up 25 attempts on goal to West Ham's six, with 17 of those efforts coming in a second period they dominated.

But despite Palace's lack of a finishing touch and the fact they only sit three points clear of the drop zone, Hodgson is looking up the table.

"There are a lot of games still to play and if we continue to play as we have been doing, I can't see us having enormous difficulties," Palace boss Hodgson said at his post-match media conference.

"I continue to hope that these performances will lead us into the top half of the table."

Asked if he does not consider Palace to be part of the relegation battle, Hodgson said: "What exactly do you mean? How many points above the relegation zone do you have to be not to be involved in a relegation battle?

"My perception is that I've got a very good football team. They've shown it time and time again this season. They showed it against a team that should have beaten Liverpool on Monday night and certainly we should have beaten them.

"So I think personally that I'm entitled to believe in this team and to be less concerned about teams below them than the teams above and catching those teams up. So many points we gave away previously were not through bad performances.

"I suppose I am differentiating between performances and points because we don't have as many points as our performances perhaps deserve. You will have to allow me to either look upwards rather than downwards as that's my prerogative.

"I am frustrated as it was such a good performance, the first half was an even game, but in the second half it was pretty much one-way traffic. We found Lukasz Fabianski in very good form.

"Our aim is to still get higher and we must not get too caught up in the relegation battle. We know we are good enough to stay out of it."

Even though West Ham are now without a win in five matches across all competitions, manager Manuel Pellegrini was happy enough with the result.

"I'm happy with the first 45 minutes when we had a brilliant performance and not too happy with the second 45," he said.

"They scored a very lucky goal because it was a deflection, but they dominated the game in the second 45 minutes. It was a good game and that was the fair result. We have a lot of players missing and we were playing away, I think it's a good point."

Related items

  • Kroos: Madrid struggles 'normal' after Champions League dominance Kroos: Madrid struggles 'normal' after Champions League dominance

    Toni Kroos insists Real Madrid's apparently underwhelming season was in fact "normal" in comparison to their three Champions League triumphs in succession. 

    Though Madrid prevailed in the FIFA Club World Cup, Los Blancos claimed no other silverware in a campaign that saw brief reigns for Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari before Zinedine Zidane returned having left in the wake of last season's Champions League victory.

    A 2-0 defeat to Real Betis on the final day of the season ensured Madrid finished 19 points behind champions Barcelona in LaLiga, having been knocked out in the last 16 of the Champions League by Ajax, while Barca dumped them out of the Copa del Rey in the semi-finals.

    But Kroos signed a new deal on Monday and says he had no issues committing his future to the club despite their struggles this term. 

    "For me this renewal is special for me, it's a good sign from the club, I've got a very special relationship with the club," said the Germany international, who committed to Madrid until 2023. 

    "Since the first day the club have had a lot of confidence in me, I've helped the club to win a lot of titles. Together we're going to try to achieve a lot more success. If I had doubts about my future I wouldn't be here today.

    "This year I don't think any player really reached their top level. When that happens in a lot of players it's difficult to have success. We're all human beings. This is probably normal after winning three successive Champions Leagues.

    "What's not normal is winning three successive Champions Leagues. I thought that was impossible, but we did it. It's probably a bit normal to not be at the highest level.

    "The club's going to change things, I'm happy to be here for another four years and I'm sure we're going to have success together.

    "When I see the semi-finals of the Champions League, the English clubs gave everything to come to this final, there you could see how difficult it is to win three times in a row this competition.

    "The only thing we can do is to prepare for the next season, then we'll see how it's going. I'm still happy here not only when we things, but I'm still happy to improve again and that's what we're going to do."

    In contrast to the success he has enjoyed in the Champions League, Kroos has won LaLiga just once in his time at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Explaining their domestic difficulties, Kroos added: "We've lacked consistency in the league the last couple of years.

    "In previous years we've been at maximum level when we've had to be at maximum level, to do that for 38 games is difficult, we have to improve a lot."

  • Pogba, Hazard and Mbappe in, Bale and Isco out? - Real Madrid set for busy close-season Pogba, Hazard and Mbappe in, Bale and Isco out? - Real Madrid set for busy close-season

    Real Madrid seem certain to spend heavily to boost Zinedine Zidane's squad and try to close the growing gap to LaLiga rivals Barcelona.

    Zidane has indicated he will not be afraid to overhaul an ageing team that ended the campaign third, 19 points behind Barca, after a 2-0 home loss to Real Betis on Sunday.

    Gareth Bale was an unused substitute against Betis, with his future seemingly certain to be away from the Santiago Bernabeu, while goalkeeper Keylor Navas is also expected to leave.

    But how could Madrid's squad look ahead of the 2019-20 season? Omnisport takes a look at the likely arrivals and departures for Los Blancos.

    IN: Eder Militao, Luka Jovic, Kylian Mbappe, Paul Pogba, Neymar, Eden Hazard?

    Madrid have already sealed a deal for Porto centre-back Militao, boosting an increasingly leaky defence that shipped 46 league goals last term. Reports in Germany have claimed Jovic will soon follow, with the Serbia striker - previously linked with Barcelona - set to leave Eintracht Frankfurt despite only completing his permanent transfer from Benfica earlier this year.

    Former coach Fabio Capello has said Madrid have €500million to spend, so Zidane can afford to be ambitious with his targets. Pogba has long been linked with the club and despite being Manchester United's top goalscorer in the Premier League this term, he could be allowed to leave.

    Mbappe would be a classic Madrid 'Galactico' signing and he signalled he would be open to leaving Paris Saint-Germain when he collected both the Ligue 1 Best Player and Best Young Player of the Year prizes at the National Union of Professional Footballers' awards on Sunday. Mbappe would likely cost a world-record fee, with Neymar another top-tier player potentially on the move.

    The former Barca attacker has reportedly failed to settle in the French capital and he could be Madrid's next superstar after last year's surprise sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus, but Madrid's long-term interest in Eden Hazard - who has a year left on his Chelsea contract - may scupper a potential deal for the Brazil star.

    Even with a vast amount of cash to splash, it is hard to see Madrid bringing in four new attackers in Hazard, Jovic, Mbappe and Neymar, while PSG - regardless of doubts over their financial situation - would surely not allow both of their forwards to leave in the same transfer window.


    OUT: Gareth Bale, Keylor Navas, Isco, Marcelo, Raphael Varane, Luka Modric?

    The level of spending at Madrid during the close-season will partly depend on who they can sell, with Bale a prime candidate to be moved on. Zidane's lack of trust in the Wales forward is no secret, even though Bale scored twice in last year's Champions League final defeat of Liverpool in Kiev. Bale cost what was then a world record £85m when he joined from Tottenham but his huge wages, coupled with a short list of potential suitors, could be a problem. Reports in Spain have indicated Bale is willing to see out the remaining three years of his contract.

    Another key member of the Madrid team that won three Champions League titles in a row in Zidane's first spell, goalkeeper Navas is expected to be sold after last year's arrival of Thibaut Courtois, with the current boss said to be keen to make son Luca his number two option with the gloves.

    Isco seemed certain to depart when he was out of favour before Santiago Solari's sacking, while Marcelo could also be allowed to leave due to the breakthrough season enjoyed by left-back Sergio Reguilon. But Toni Kroos is staying put after signing a new four-year deal with the club. PSG were linked with a treble swoop for Kroos, Isco and Bale, so the latter two players could be used as potential makeweights in a deal for either Mbappe or Neymar.

    At the back, Zidane has said Raphael Varane will stay but with Juventus reported to be interested in the World Cup winner, a big offer could tempt Madrid to sell. Ballon d'Or winner Luka Modric, meanwhile, was previously linked with Inter and had a poor second half of the season.

    @realmadrid #TeamVarane pic.twitter.com/YiwSQlq8tp

    — Raphaël Varane (@raphaelvarane) May 17, 2019

    POTENTIAL MADRID XI FOR 2019-20

    Thibaut Courtois; Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Eder Militao, Marcelo; Toni Kroos, Casemiro, Paul Pogba; Kylian Mbappe, Luka Jovic, Eden Hazard.

  • Walter to take over Stuttgart from next season Walter to take over Stuttgart from next season

    Tim Walter will take over as Stuttgart coach from next season.

    The Bundesliga club face a two-legged relegation play-off with Union Berlin to preserve their top-flight status, with interim coach Nico Willig – who took over last month – looking to guide them to safety after Stuttgart finished a lowly 16th.

    Should they fail to secure survival, they will at least have a coach with experience of the 2.Bundesliga after appointing Walter on a two-year contract.

    Walter led Holstein Kiel to sixth place in the second tier this season as they finished eight points adrift of third-placed Union.

    "The discussions with [head of sport] Thomas Hitzlsperger and [sporting director] Sven Mislintat were open and direct and characterised from the beginning of great confidence," Walter told Stuttgart's official website.

    "We have very similar ideas and views of football and the way we want to work. Together we want to initiate a positive development at VfB Stuttgart. 

    "I am very much looking forward to this task, VfB has enormous appeal and an impressive history. I thank Holstein Kiel for a great season together and for the understanding that I have decided to switch to VfB Stuttgart."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.