Real Madrid to take legal action over Cristiano Ronaldo NDA claim

By Sports Desk October 11, 2018

Real Madrid are to take legal action against a Portuguese newspaper that suggested the club pressurised Cristiano Ronaldo into seeking a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with Kathryn Mayorga. 

Ms Mayorga has accused Ronaldo, who left Madrid for Juventus in July, of raping her in a hotel in Las Vegas in 2009, allegations the player and his lawyers have repeatedly denied.

The story originated in German publication Der Spiegel, whose initial claims an NDA worth $375,000 had been reached was confirmed by Ronaldo's lawyer Peter Christiansen on Wednesday.

Ms Mayorga filed a lawsuit last month in an attempt to quash that agreement while Las Vegas police have re-opened an investigation.

Correio da Manha claimed on Wednesday that the NDA was put in place at Madrid's request, with the club having spent a then-world-record fee on the forward just weeks after the incident is claimed to have taken place.

Madrid insist that is "false information" and, in a statement, said: "Real Madrid CF can today announce that the club has taken legal action against the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha for publishing categorically false information in an effort to seriously damage the image of this club.

"Real Madrid has absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club was unable to take action on a matter of which it had no knowledge.

"Real Madrid has demanded total rectification of the situation from the aforementioned newspaper."

Ronaldo, who previously labelled Ms Mayorga's claims "fake news" in an Instagram video, has protested his innocence and called rape "an abominable crime".

He said on Twitter: "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.

"My clear conscious [sic] will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations."

Christiansen on Wednesday also said documents reported to contain statements from the player had been altered.

"It is my understanding that in 2015, dozens of entities [including law firms] across many different industries throughout Europe were hacked and their electronic data was stolen and captured by a cyber criminal," he said.

"This hacker attempted to sell this data, and one media outlet has now irresponsibly published the stolen documents, significant portions of which were altered and/or completely fabricated. To absolve any doubt, Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in 2009 in Las Vegas was consensual in nature.

"While Mr Ronaldo does not deny the existence of the mutual agreement and release, his motivations for agreeing to that resolution have been twisted to say the least.

"Far from any admission of guilt or any ulterior motive, Mr Ronaldo was advised to privately resolve the allegations against him in order to avoid the inevitable attempts that are now being made to destroy a reputation that has been built upon hard work, athleticism and honour.

"Unfortunately, he now finds himself embroiled in the type of litigation that is all too commonplace in America."

He added: "To be clear, Mr Ronaldo vehemently denies all of the allegations in the complaint and has consistently maintained that denial for the last nine years."

Related items

  • Sarri rubbishes Roma rumour Sarri rubbishes Roma rumour

    Maurizio Sarri has denied holding discussions with Roma officials about swapping Stamford Bridge for the Stadio Olimpico.

    A report in the former Napoli coach's native Italy claimed the Chelsea coach recently met with Roma president James Pallotta and club advisor Franco Baldini to speak about replacing Eusebio Di Francesco.

    Sarri's future in London has come into question following a poor run of results, while counterpart Di Francesco is facing similar scrutiny amid the Giallorossi's underwhelming campaign.

    But the 60-year-old this week stated his intention to remain in charge of the Blues "for a long time" and, speaking after his side's victory over Malmo, denied talks had taken place regarding a return to Serie A.

    "Of course no," he told BT Sport. "Because I have a contract with Chelsea next season, so it's impossible to have contact [from Roma].

    "I read something in an Italian newspaper about a dinner with Franco Baldini, but I think Franco is in South Africa so it is very difficult to have dinner with him."

    Chelsea returned to winning ways with a morale-boosting 3-0 home win on Thursday, which confirmed their place in the Europa League's last 32.

    Olivier Giroud, Ross Barkley and Callum Hudson-Odoi all scored after a ponderous first half that did little to assuage the home fans following Monday's disappointing FA Cup defeat to Manchester United.

    Sarri warned a repeat of the sluggish start would result in a slaughter at the hands of Manchester City in Sunday's EFL Cup final.

    "It will be a disaster," he predicted in his post-match news conference.

    "I am worried about the first 30 minutes [against Malmo], [but] only for the offensive phase. We cannot play our football without confidence but the level of application was good.

    "We are in a difficult moment, we had problems with the fans in the last match so it's normal for the team to enter without confidence.

    "For playing our football, we need confidence. If we want to be in control and have ball possession and move very fast, we need confidence."

  • Marotta 'very optimistic' Godin will join Inter Marotta 'very optimistic' Godin will join Inter

    Inter chief Giuseppe Marotta is "very optimistic" Diego Godin will join the Nerazzurri from Atletico Madrid when his contract expires in June.

    Uruguay defender Godin is into the final months of his contract at Atleti, where he has played since signing from Villarreal in 2010, winning the LaLiga title in 2013-14 and twice reaching the Champions League final.

    The 33-year-old has consistently been linked with Inter in recent months and Marotta has not been shy in talking up a potential move.

    And the Inter CEO suggested on Thursday that official confirmation of a deal may not be far away, adding that he enjoyed seeing Godin score a crucial goal against Juventus in a Champions League last 16 first-leg clash on Wednesday.

    "I am happy," Marotta told Sky Sport Italia of the deal. "We are at a very advanced stage in negotiations.

    "It was nice to see Godin score yesterday. As for the rest, let's just say that I am very optimistic and believe that we'll be able to make an official announcement pretty soon."

    Inter have a wealth of central defensive options, including Godin's former Atleti team-mate Miranda.

  • Mourinho to analyse Clasico for beIN SPORTS Mourinho to analyse Clasico for beIN SPORTS

    Jose Mourinho will feature on beIN SPORTS' coverage of El Clasico when Real Madrid and Barcelona go head to head in LaLiga on March 2.

    The Portuguese served as an assistant at Barca and went on to become head coach at Madrid in 2010, maintaining the hostile relationship between the two clubs during his three years in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    And having left Manchester United in December, Mourinho will again take on a punditry role for one of the biggest matches in club football.

    The former Chelsea boss was in the studio for beIN as they showed the Blues' defeat at Arsenal last month.

    "We are delighted to welcome Jose Mourinho back to beIN SPORTS to entertain millions of viewers with his footballing genius once again across the 24 countries of the Middle East and North Africa," beIN chief executive Yousef Al-Obaidly said in a statement.

    "Jose's understanding of the game is second to none and given his deep and intriguing history with both Real Madrid and Barcelona, there is no better or more compelling analyst to watch."

    Mourinho won LaLiga with Madrid in the 2011-12 season, setting a record points tally of 100 that was matched by Barca in the following campaign.

    Barca lead the league this term, with Madrid nine points back in third after 24 matches. The two sides also meet in the second leg of their Copa del Rey tie on Wednesday, with the opening clash having ended 1-1. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.