Juanfran still hoping for Spain recall

By Sports Desk October 11, 2018

Juanfran is still hoping to earn a Spain recall despite not playing for the national team for the last two years.

The Atletico Madrid defender, a European champion in 2012, started all four of Spain's games at Euro 2016 but has not featured for them since. 

Spain coach Luis Enrique has not named Juanfran in either of his squads to date, with Wolves defender Jonny Castro Otto called up for his month's matches with Wales and England in the absences of Dani Carvajal and Sergi Roberto.

However, the 33-year-old insists he will not turn his back on international football.

"I would be happy, until I retire, to be available to the national team," Juanfran told Onda Madrid.

"I wish Luis Enrique could have called me up. I feel very proud to wear that shirt.

"I consider it my home because I have been a European champion with the national team, I have been to the World Cup."

Juanfran's Atletico team-mate Lucas Hernandez this week revealed he had rejected an offer to join city rivals Real Madrid.

Lucas' younger brother Theo is already on Madrid's books, having joined from Atleti, but Juanfran feels the World Cup winner understands what it takes to play for Diego Simeone's side.

"He is a squad player and he knows what Atletico is. He feels very identified with this shirt," Juanfran added.

"It is what we want from our players and from those who come from outside: that they become involved and know immediately the values and what is needed to play at Atletico."

Diego Godin, named on the 30-man Ballon d'Or shortlist this week, was also singled out for praise by Juanfran, who said: "He is the best centre-back in the world."

Related items

  • Marotta 'very optimistic' Godin will join Inter Marotta 'very optimistic' Godin will join Inter

    Inter chief Giuseppe Marotta is "very optimistic" Diego Godin will join the Nerazzurri from Atletico Madrid when his contract expires in June.

    Uruguay defender Godin is into the final months of his contract at Atleti, where he has played since signing from Villarreal in 2010, winning the LaLiga title in 2013-14 and twice reaching the Champions League final.

    The 33-year-old has consistently been linked with Inter in recent months and Marotta has not been shy in talking up a potential move.

    And the Inter CEO suggested on Thursday that official confirmation of a deal may not be far away, adding that he enjoyed seeing Godin score a crucial goal against Juventus in a Champions League last 16 first-leg clash on Wednesday.

    "I am happy," Marotta told Sky Sport Italia of the deal. "We are at a very advanced stage in negotiations.

    "It was nice to see Godin score yesterday. As for the rest, let's just say that I am very optimistic and believe that we'll be able to make an official announcement pretty soon."

    Inter have a wealth of central defensive options, including Godin's former Atleti team-mate Miranda.

  • Mourinho to analyse Clasico for beIN SPORTS Mourinho to analyse Clasico for beIN SPORTS

    Jose Mourinho will feature on beIN SPORTS' coverage of El Clasico when Real Madrid and Barcelona go head to head in LaLiga on March 2.

    The Portuguese served as an assistant at Barca and went on to become head coach at Madrid in 2010, maintaining the hostile relationship between the two clubs during his three years in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    And having left Manchester United in December, Mourinho will again take on a punditry role for one of the biggest matches in club football.

    The former Chelsea boss was in the studio for beIN as they showed the Blues' defeat at Arsenal last month.

    "We are delighted to welcome Jose Mourinho back to beIN SPORTS to entertain millions of viewers with his footballing genius once again across the 24 countries of the Middle East and North Africa," beIN chief executive Yousef Al-Obaidly said in a statement.

    "Jose's understanding of the game is second to none and given his deep and intriguing history with both Real Madrid and Barcelona, there is no better or more compelling analyst to watch."

    Mourinho won LaLiga with Madrid in the 2011-12 season, setting a record points tally of 100 that was matched by Barca in the following campaign.

    Barca lead the league this term, with Madrid nine points back in third after 24 matches. The two sides also meet in the second leg of their Copa del Rey tie on Wednesday, with the opening clash having ended 1-1. 

  • FA charge Millwall over racist chanting FA charge Millwall over racist chanting

    Millwall have been charged with failing to control spectactors by the Football Association after instances of alleged racist chanting during their FA Cup victory against Everton.

    Footage posted on social media appeared to show a section of the club's supporters taunting away fans by using a derogatory term about the Pakistani community.

    The FA launched an investigation into the incident and confirmed on Thursday the Championship side have now been charged.

    "Millwall FC has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20," said an FA statement.

    "It is alleged the club failed to ensure its spectators conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from using abusive and/or insulting words, which included a reference to race and/or ethnic origin, during the FA Cup tie against Everton on January 26."

    Following the game, which Millwall won 3-2 to stay on course for a quarter-final at home to Brighton and Hove Albion, the club condemned the alleged racist abuse as "abhorrent".

    "Millwall Football Club is aware of, and extremely disappointed by, a video circulating online displaying alleged racist chanting during Saturday's victory over Everton," a Millwall statement read.

    "The club will, as is commonplace following such incidents, work with all relevant authorities during investigations into the matter and look to identify individuals involved. Anyone identified and guilty of such abuse will be banned from The Den for life."

    Before the match, Everton fan Jay Burns was attacked and suffered a facial gash that required 25 stitches.

    Police arrested and bailed a 27-year-old man on suspicion of wounding with intent, attempted grievous bodily harm and violent disorder.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.