Ballon d'Or 2018: Kane joins Hazard and Griezmann on shortlist

By Sports Desk October 08, 2018

Tottenham striker Harry Kane is among the five latest players to be named on the 30-man Ballon d'Or shortlist, along with Eden Hazard and Antoine Griezmann. 

Real Madrid playmaker Isco and Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante have also been revealed as nominees for France Football's prize.

Kane scored 41 goals in all competitions for Spurs last season before winning the Golden Boot at the World Cup with six strikes in England's run to the semi-finals.

Chelsea and Belgium star Hazard is included after impressing for club and country throughout the last year, while Griezmann, a Europa League and World Cup winner with Atletico Madrid and France respectively, is one of the favourites for the award.

Kante was also part of France's victorious side in Russia, while Isco helped Real Madrid to win a third consecutive Champions League.

A total of 30 players will make up the shortlist for the award, which was won by Cristiano Ronaldo in 2017.

The names to have already been revealed are Sergio Aguero, Alisson, Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, Edinson Cavani, Thibaut Courtois, Ronaldo, Kevin De Bruyne, Roberto Firmino and Diego Godin.

Related items

  • Rudiger warns 'racism has won' and says Hanau shooting horror is 'the end product' Rudiger warns 'racism has won' and says Hanau shooting horror is 'the end product'

    Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger claims "racism has won" after he was booed by Tottenham supporters during Saturday's Premier League match at Stamford Bridge.

    Rudiger reported he was racially abused in the December 22 trip to Tottenham, but an investigation conducted by Spurs proved "inconclusive" and police could find no evidence to support the complaint.

    The German was appalled to also be targeted by a number of visiting fans in the second league meeting between the teams in 2019-20.

    Rudiger said the failure of authorities to find a culprit for his previous allegation meant he had become cast to some as a "bogeyman" figure.

    The 26-year-old told German broadcaster Sky Sport after Saturday's match: "Racism has won. They want to make us believe, 'You have no voice'. That's how I see it. Then also thanks to the media, who naturally pushed it that way, nobody was found and such things, the case is closed.

    "And that's why you get booed in the end because you raise your voice. So I say: racism has won."

    The defender was disheartened that nobody was held culpable for the abuse he heard in the December match at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

    "This shows that these people win wherever. They can go back to the stadium," Rudiger said.

    "It doesn't have to be me, it can be someone else. They will not be punished and at the end of the day I am the bogeyman."

    Rudiger vowed he would not be silenced and pledged to continue making his voice heard on matters of discrimination, linking his concerns to the experience of becoming a father last Thursday.

    "It is a catastrophe. One day my child will highly probably suffer because of the way we are today," Rudiger said.

    Rudiger was asked about the shisha bar shooting deaths in Hanau which occurred on Wednesday, with a number of the victims reported to be of Turkish and Kurdish descent and the attack being treated as far-right terrorism.

    He related that to incidents of racism in German football which have seen Hertha Berlin's Jordan Torunarigha and Wurzburg's Leroy Kwadwo targeted for abuse.

    Speaking of Hanau, Rudiger said: "For me, this is the end product. First Torunarigha, then Kwadwo and then there are dead people."

  • Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments

    Sergi Roberto will miss Barcelona's Champions League tie with Napoli and the Clasico against Real Madrid after injuring one of the adductor muscles in his right thigh.

    The Spain international was an unused substitute as Barca thrashed Eibar 5-0 on Saturday but Roberto, who can play at right-back or in the centre of midfield, is not part of the squad for the last-16 first-leg fixture in Naples.

    Barca confirmed Roberto will miss around three to four weeks of action via a statement on their official website, which means he will also miss a vital top-of-the-table clash at Real Madrid next weekend.

    One of the quirkier additions on Barca's squad list for Napoli - albeit his name was accompanied by an asterisk - was Martin Braithwaite, who cannot play in the Champions League as he is not registered.

    Denmark forward Braithwaite signed in a controversial deal from Leganes this week after Barca were granted permission to make an emergency transfer outside of the window.

    Barca's victory over Eibar and Madrid's defeat at Levante on Saturday means Quique Setien's men sit top of LaLiga by two points. However, Roberto's injury is the latest to have limited Setien's options for upcoming fixture.

  • Embattled Celades battles to repair damage caused by Valencia's week of woe Embattled Celades battles to repair damage caused by Valencia's week of woe

    Albert Celades was once used to the high life with Barcelona and Real Madrid - now he is dealing with the misery caused by an abject week for his Valencia team.

    Four days of carnage has left Valencia's Champions League hopes in tatters and their prospects of returning to that competition next season dealt a major blow.

    As a player, Celades was a defensive midfielder who began his career at Camp Nou and later traded loyalties by pulling on the white shirt of Madrid, often playing as a foil to David Beckham.

    His coaching career has included spells as an assistant with Spain and Madrid, before a first head coaching opportunity presented itself at Valencia last September.

    The past week has come as a jolt to the 44-year-old, with a 4-1 thumping by Atalanta in Italy on Wednesday followed by a 3-0 whipping at Real Sociedad on Saturday.

    "We are going through the worst moment of the season, but I don't think that the season is lost," Celades said.

    His immediate task is to ensure the team's morale does not fall away, with their winless run having stretched to five games.

    Although they have slipped to eighth place in LaLiga, Valencia remain within touching distance of the top four.

    "We are not having the same performance away from home as at Mestalla," Celades said.

    "However, there are still a lot of games left in LaLiga and the return leg of the Champions League tie. Our idea is to continue picking up points, although the numbers are there and we have conceded too many goals that have impeded us from being at the top of the standings. We have to fix this as soon as possible."

    Celades feels Valencia were better against Atalanta than the scoreline suggested, even though the Serie A side led by four goals inside an hour and it took a response from Denis Cheryshev to give Los Che any hope for the March 10 second leg at Mestalla.

    Speaking after the Sociedad match, Celades was quoted by Valencia's website as saying: "We came into this one off a tough defeat in the Champions League, which was too heavy for what we saw on the pitch.

    "However, not long ago we had a great game against Atletico Madrid in which we deserved to win.

    "We are struggling to win but, of course, I see myself as being strong enough to turn the situation around."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.