Manchester United to charge Valencia fans extra £22 in ticket row

By Sports Desk September 14, 2018

Manchester United have increased ticket costs for travelling Valencia fans in response to the Spanish club's refusal to charge away supporters a "reasonable amount" for their Champions League meeting at Mestalla. 

Valencia informed United they are charging away fans £77 for their match on December 12, catching the Premier League club by surprise.

United claim to have initially estimated fans would be charged a maximum of £55 and now feel as though their followers are being unfairly treated once again after Sevilla hiked prices in the Champions League round of 16 last term.

The club have responded in a similar fashion to that occasion, saying they will up their prices for Valencia fans for the Old Trafford clash on October 2.

United say they will also use the extra revenue generated to subsidise ticket costs of their supporters travelling to Spain.

In a letter to fans successful in applying for Valencia tickets, United wrote: "Prior to receiving confirmed pricing, we had estimated a maximum price of £55, and conducted the ballot based on this.

"Valencia have now confirmed our tickets for this game will be priced at £77, in this instance we believe that our travelling supporters are again being unfairly subjected to increased/excessive ticket prices from the host club.

"This view is shared generally amongst travelling supporters and we have received many requests from individuals and supporter groups to intervene in this matter.

"This has been raised with Valencia, and internally, but ultimately Valencia have not agreed to lower the price of tickets to what we view as a reasonable amount.

"Similarly to Sevilla away last season, we have again taken the difficult decision to charge Valencia fans for the home leg at Old Trafford the same amount as Valencia are charging the away fixture (£77).

"We will use this increase to subsidise our travelling support by paying the £22 price increase for each of our travelling supporters; therefore, you will not be charged any additional amount."

United also announced any additional revenue gained as a result of the price change will be donate to the club's charity arm.

Related items

  • Lewandowski is now a leader at Bayern - Kovac Lewandowski is now a leader at Bayern - Kovac

    Robert Lewandowski is showing the right qualities to be a leader at Bayern Munich, according to coach Niko Kovac.

    The Poland striker appeared to be agitating for a move away from the Allianz Arena last year but stayed at the club and scored 40 goals in all competitions to help them to the domestic double.

    The 30-year-old said in March he could finish his career at the club and has now confirmed he is in talks over an extension to his contract, which expires in 2021.

    Kovac now has little hesitation in trusting the former Borussia Dortmund forward as one of the vice-captains of his side.

    "Last season, I wanted to give him the recognition he deserves as a player, due to his performances he has shown not only in Germany but also as the captain of the Polish national team," he said.

    "You can see it means a lot to him to be the vice-captain. I'm really happy with his development and he shows what's expected of a leader."

    Bayern looked at times last season as though their stranglehold on the Bundesliga was to be broken by Dortmund, but they ended the season in strong fashion to claim a seventh league title in a row and win the DFB-Pokal final against RB Leipzig.

    Kovac expects Dortmund to challenge once more given their strong close season in which they have signed Thorgan Hazard, Nico Schulz, Julian Brandt and Mats Hummels, but he is not discounting one or two other surprise contenders.

    "All we know is that it was a close race last season between Dortmund and us," he said. "There will be other teams chasing us, but of course we will be the team everyone in the Bundesliga wants to catch.

    "I think Dortmund have made some good signings. As I mentioned before, it was a really close race between us two for the title. We'll have to see; you never know.

    "I think maybe [Bayer] Leverkusen will play an important role with their new coach [Peter] Bosz, who plays very good football, very attacking football. We have to count them as well as a competitor for the German title.

    "Leipzig were very strong last season. Now they have signed a new coach [Julian Nagelsmann], so we'll have to see. We have to give them some time, see how they develop with the new coach, but I think they'll be a serious opponent as well. And then maybe another surprising team, you never know in the Bundesliga, so we will have to see what happens."

  • Trippier swaps Tottenham for Atletico in reported €22m transfer Trippier swaps Tottenham for Atletico in reported €22m transfer

    Kieran Trippier has joined Atletico Madrid on a three-year contract after leaving Tottenham in a deal reportedly worth €22million (£22m).

    The England international heads to Spain in the hope of reinvigorating his career, which stagnated in the aftermath of the World Cup in 2018.

    Right-back Trippier exceeded expectations in Russia, scoring the opening goal in the semi-final defeat to Croatia, but lost form on his return to Tottenham.

    Serie A side Napoli expressed firm interest despite the 28-year-old slipping out of the England squad, while Juventus and Manchester United were also linked.

    Atleti ultimately outlasted their competitors to secure a direct replacement for the long-serving Juanfran, who left on a free at the end of June.

    Santiago Arias and the injured Sime Vrsaljko are the other right-backs on the free-spending LaLiga club's books.

    Trippier's departure leaves Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino to choose from Serge Aurier, Kyle Walker-Peters and Juan Foyth on the right side of defence.

    The departing Trippier made 69 Premier League appearances for the north London outfit after arriving from Burnley in 2015.

    Tottenham also look set to sell Trippier's England team-mate Danny Rose, who has been left out of their squad for their Asia tour to "explore prospective opportunities with other clubs."

  • Joelinton left out by Hoffenheim as Premier League move edges closer Joelinton left out by Hoffenheim as Premier League move edges closer

    Hoffenheim have confirmed Joelinton is in talks with a Premier League club amid speculation of a £36million (€39.8million) move to Newcastle United.

    Joelinton was left out of Hoffenheim's squad for their friendly with Jahn Regensburg on Wednesday.

    The Brazilian forward was rumoured to be close to a move to Newcastle in January, though the switch failed to materialise.

    However, the 22-year-old now looks set to join the Magpies, who officially confirmed Steve Bruce as their new head coach on Wednesday, with Hoffenheim confirming negotiations are ongoing with a Premier League side.

    "Joelinton is not here," Hoffenheim posted on their official Twitter account. "He is in concrete negotiations with a Premier League club. It may be that he leaves us."

    Joelinton scored 11 goals across all competitions for Hoffenheim last season, following a spell with Rapid Vienna.

    It has been an off-season of upheaval for Newcastle, who were demolished 4-0 in their Premier League Asia Trophy match with Wolves.

    Rafael Benitez's departure was followed by that of Ayoze Perez, who joined Leicester City in a reported £30m deal, while Joselu and last season's top scorer Salomon Rondon have also left.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.